BluRay Music Video Poll Wilson, Steven - DRIVE HOME [BluRay Video]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of Steven Wilson - DRIVE HOME

• 10: Great surround, Great Audio, Great Content

Votes: 35 70.0%
  • 9:

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • 8:

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor surround, Poor audio, poor content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this October 2013 Multi-Media BluRay Video/CD release on KScope from Steven Wilson, "DRIVE HOME" (y):phones(n)

The pre-release/announcement thread can be found for this title HERE

SW Drive Home Front 800.jpg
SW Drive Home Back 800.jpg

Well, anything but a 10 would not do this release justice so I voted a 10.

You just have to love this Wilson guy, don't you. In the year of streaming and downloading shitty sound quality music he releases a single/EP with around one hour of music in lossless quality and HiDef picture, including two new songs (version of).

Sound quality and mixes top notch (pure reference quality) as expected and picture quality very good (not reference quality though).

I really like the two new songs - the birthday Party is a heavy little jazzrock creature somehow different than the rest of the Raven album and really gives the band a chance to swing and shine. The orchestral version of Raven is beautiful and emphasizes even more on what a delicate composition this is.

My favorite is the live version of Insurgentes. If I should ask for any change in SW's current development it would be to turn down the heavy and hard to digest side a notch and bring forward the more melodic and accessable part of his music personality, of which Insurgentes is a prime example.

Agreed, nothing but a 10 will do for this. Its only an EP, but there's still enough superb content. The 2 films for Raven and Drive Home are just so well made. Its an experience watching them with lossless DTS-HD 5.1 sound. And the 4 live songs, well, what can you say about the performances and sound quality that does it justice. I love the melodic and accessable, but I also love the heavy and hard to digest!

On Amazon UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drive-Blu-ray-Region-Steven-Wilson/dp/B00EKVZWSK/ref=pd_sim_m_h__4 there's a very good mini review by a certain Mr Wilkes!

Agreed, nothing but a 10 will do for this. Its only an EP, but there's still enough superb content. The 2 films for Raven and Drive Home are just so well made. Its an experience watching them with lossless DTS-HD 5.1 sound. And the 4 live songs, well, what can you say about the performances and sound quality that does it justice. I love the melodic and accessable, but I also love the heavy and hard to digest!

On Amazon UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drive-Blu-ray-Region-Steven-Wilson/dp/B00EKVZWSK/ref=pd_sim_m_h__4 there's a very good mini review by a certain Mr Wilkes!

Good catch on the review at amazon.uk by Neil W., the cool thing about the 2 short videos is they are done in 5.1 lossless surround, so many times other peoples video default to 5.1. DD or 5.1. DTS when a option of some videos put on a disk, well thinking of DVDV's so maybe not a fair comparison but this is well thought out and the selection of songs here is awesome and surround treatment is top marks, so a 10 for me as well.

I can't add much more than has already been said. The "Raven" video is one of my all-time favorites and I'm delighted to have it in hi-res surround.

What a great disc! 10. Leaves me wanting more!

(Off topic: Why is there 'NTSC' marked on this release? It's a Blu-ray)

It is stunning, its got a 10 from me, and having looked at the poll afterwards so has everybody else! The music, the musicianship, the sound, the video, live footage, is brilliant - glad I went for the Blu-ray. Best EP I've ever bought.

I inadvertently bought 2 copies, so I gifted one copy to a friend. If I worked at a hifi store, this ep would be used to demo any and all gear. It is absolutely reference in every way possible as far as displaying what 5.1 high definition sound should be.

The inclusion of the live songs makes me wanting more, and I completely agree with Neil Wilkes in that the band sounds even better with Govan as the lead guitarist. I also like the camera work better in the Frankfurt show versus Get All You Deserve concert.

I look forward to future Steven Wilson releases as he is the benchmark in all that is hidef music. In my book, he has surpassed Elliot Scheiner and all others as the leader and pioneer in this field.

I really love this release. My only quibble is that there wasn't a live version of "Drive Home". Guthrie Govan's solo during this song is amazing, my favorite part of the show. Since he didn't play on the original recording it would have been nice to have that performance featured on this release. I would have gladly have that swapped with "Insurgentes."

Just a note for posterity, and I'm sure it's probably posted here somewhere else and I missed it, but I just saw the CD/DVD pack in a local Best Buy for $13.99, and on the back of the jacket was the DVD-AUDIO logo, along with the DVD-VIDEO logo. So, for the hell of it, I bought it. Popped it into the car and it did not play. Not a DVD-A!

Bummer

A 10 to be sure, this offering is exceptional on all fronts. I must add however that while Marco is an outstanding player it is sheer madness to suggest that he is "far better than anyone else Steven has worked with". This is apples and oranges... Gavin Harrison is extraordinary, as fine a player as you will fine in this era or any other.

Ups. I thought I had already voted.
A definitive 10. Both videos are fantastic and the songs and 5.1 mix even more.

What would prog be today without Steven Wilson!
He is the keeper!
:sun

Back