BluRay Music Video Poll Wilson, Steven - GET ALL YOU DESERVE [Blu-Ray Video]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray Surround Release of Steve Wilson - GET ALL YOU DESERVE

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this live music disc from Steven Wilson. (n):phones(y)

[Scans Pending]

Just got this one the other day - I got the 2CD/DVD/BD Deluxe edition so this is based on that package.
All in all it is a very nice package, although I am not too impressed with the way the discs are held in those cardboard/heavy paper slips - it is almost an invitation to scratch the discs and one of mine has already come apart where it was not glued on sufficiently & as a result CD #1 has slipped down into the sleeve & requires a lot of effort to retrieve now. Likewise, every time I take the book out of the slkeeve, the BluRay disc is prone to falling out completely. Not good, packaging wise.
So for me, strike one mark - a deluxe edition should be put together a little better than this one.

On to the content, where I can literally fine no faults at all. Okay, I have not yet bothered with the 2CD, just the BD & DVD.
The BD gives us DTS-HD MAS 5.1 & LPCM stereo, with DTS 96/24 and Dolby Digital on the DVD (curiously labelled as "AC3" for some reason - this is unusual) in both 5.1 & stereo - so no lossless stream at all on the DVD, which I think is a mistake as it means anyone without a BluRay player is stuck with lossy sound - sadly this is all too common with concert DVD although I do not understand why this is.

The performance is outstanding - this has to be one of the best live bands currently touring.
I know I have said this elsewhere, but the band really are very, very tight & sound as if they have been playing together for years rather than just months.
Perhaps the mix is not as aggressive as others, but what it gave me was a definite sense of being there as opposed to playing a recording - and I am not saying (or even trying to imply) this is "big stereo"!!!
Far from it.
Before I can write a full review I think I need to play it through a few times more, but it certainly does not disappoint sonically in any way at all.
Visually, it would perhaps have been nice to see more of the projections, but this is a very minor thing - personally there are a few too many close-ups of computer screens for me, but this is an editing choice & what Lasse has done - yet again - is raised the bar for a live show. It is very, very difficult to believe this is a low budget production as every penny has been spent wisely from where I sit & makes some productions that have had a LOT of money thrown at them look strictly second-rate.

Truly outstanding

Lovely packaging but I do agree with Neil about the disc 'holders'. Hate these kind of designs, should have been a plastic tray instead.

Video quality I thought was not as good as I'd hoped. I see they were using those cheap 'go pro' mini style cams which aren't bad but in low light are just not good enough (wonder who decided it was a good idea to use them? They're primarily for outdoor use). The actual video from the 'real' cameras looked really pleasing to me and I loved the direction and editing (none of this changing angles every 1 sec like a lot of concert films these days). I felt all the relevant action was shown on screen at the right times which makes it all the more enjoyable.

Now the audio....... WOW WOW WOW!!

Just superb audio. Loved how it was pretty much 4.1 and the center only being used every nown again and with great effect. Every sound has it's space in the mix and there is enough going on in all channels to give the speakers (and ears) a real workout. Just perfect.

10/10 overall because although I wish the video quality was better it still delivers with superb editing and sound, which is more important to me.

To add to the packaging comments, is anyone else's book so tightly glued together that it's hard to open the pages? I feel like if I force them open enough to read they'll crack and fall out... :D

Anyway, so far I've only played the audio set and it's quite a dry, close-up mix, I thought- not echoey or big sounding at all. I like it.

Stunning performances- even better than the shows I saw.

The performance is outstanding - this has to be one of the best live bands currently touring.
I know I have said this elsewhere, but the band really are very, very tight & sound as if they have been playing together for years rather than just months.
Perhaps the mix is not as aggressive as others, but what it gave me was a definite sense of being there as opposed to playing a recording - and I am not saying (or even trying to imply) this is "big stereo"!!!
Far from it.
I agree with Neil. I ordered the $13.99 Blu-ray version from Amazon and it looks and sounds great. I love Grace for Drowning, even better than Insurgenetes (which was hit-n-miss for me). With SW's other projects (No Man, Blackfield) and now his solo work I was worried that I would be missing new Porcupine Tree releases but this live document has put those worries to rest. And I love this band too. I never thought that any drummer could make me forget Gavin but it has happened. I can't wait to watch it again. And again.

Looking forward to reading other comments and opinions!

I listened to it a couple times in the car, but didn't want to vote until listening/watching at home. It is a fantastic performance. I enjoyed it in the car, but wasn't as absorbed in the performance as while watching it. Everyone in the band looked like they were having a blast on stage (even Niko smiled a couple times.) Marco couldn't stop smiling. I didn't have any problems with the video quality; which was often filtered for effect. I gave it a 10.

My deluxe edition didn't come with a book the discs are on spindles.(my copy was made in Germany btw)....the audio on the blu ray's outstanding.

Finally got this in the mail yesterday and had to listen/watch this right away(my routine of going for a jog after work would have to wait).
Someone else has already said this but have to repeat it WOW,WOW,WOW. This is not hard for me to rate as a 10 as band is so tight,the sound that Steven has coaxed out of the sound board is just incredibly awesome. I was at the Seattle show which was about a week before this recording and I was glad I went to the show but I remember thinking at the time I can't wait to get the Bluray for this as it will sound so much better than what I just witnessed live. Live you get the wall of sound coming at you but I much prefer the great dynamics on this Bluray release where you can hear each musician so clearly, again just awesome. Thankyou so much Steven for this labour of love that you have blessed us with.
Can't wait to watch,listen to this again and share with my friends.

I gave it a 10, as it is an awesome performance. I do wish he/Lasse would tone down the creepiness factor just a little bit, as it disturbs my kids!

I have to say that I'm not that impressed with the picture quality. Sound-wise its awesome....

Hello. I watched this over the weekend. I agree that the picture quality fluctuates, the culprit quite possibly from one camera (the front close-up). I think the video engineers fixed this on the fly, for I only noticed this early on. The mix is perfect. All in all, still a must buy for all SW fans. Thanks.

The picture quality is poor at the beginning because some of the cameras are shooting through the curtain at the front of the stage.

The picture quality is poor at the beginning because some of the cameras are shooting through the curtain at the front of the stage.

Yes, it's getting better after they remove the curtain, but the picture quality of this is not what strikes you when you watched the show.

So I went back and listened to "Grace For Drowning" and on almost every song except Raider II, I prefer the live version. This never happens for me! "Index" in particular (with that cool bass riff on the Chapman Stick) is so much more riveting to listen to live. Best $14.99 ever spent. Who cares about the picture quality!

For those of you who watched the performance and thought, that drummer is not bad. Gavin better look out. Marco can drum!

h**p://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/marcominnemannbasel1.html

For those of you who watched the performance and thought, that drummer is not bad. Gavin better look out. Marco can drum!

h**p://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/marcominnemannbasel1.html
You can't see his feet, but they are working incredibly fast which you can hear well on the Blu ray disc. You get a better view of his footwork in Parts II and III. I'm not a drummer, but it looks very difficult. Also, is that a Kraftwerk T shirt in Part I?

I'm pretty late to the party here as I passed on this when it came out and just finally got around to getting it. I've realized since that I've probably listened to more of SW/PT's music over the last 10 years than any other band and I think when this came out, I just felt like I didn't need another live album at the time. Then Raven came out and I am absolutely wowed by that one, so I went out and got this one. It also helped that my local record store in our little town had a copy of the BR/DVD/CD set available.

Now that I've heard it, I can't believe I waited so long. This is an incredible live album. The performances are outstanding and they have made me appreciate both of his other solo albums more. It reminds me of Yessongs in that the versions on here rival the studio versions as my go to versions. Great songs and great musicians. And the sound is spectacular! Probably the best sounding live album, imo. The video is what it is. It's film of a show that's being presented to the live audience and not for the cameras. A bunch of bright lights on the stage would have made the home video better, but would have been real distracting for the crowd at the concert. It looks as good as I need it to. As with all music videos, if it were up to me there would be far fewer angle changes and more shots of the stage/screen. But that's not the way concert videos are made.

I sure wish I had tickets to see his current tour and if I had heard this before the tour was announced, I would have made plans for the Boulder show. I hope the current band (although I realize for the US tour its a different guitarist and drummer than this video) can stay together for another round.

Anyway, highly recommended by me. Another 10 for another Steven Wilson production. The guy really is talented.

K

Back