HiRez Poll Wilson, Steven - Insurgentes [DVD-Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Steven Wilson - INSURGENTES

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post you thoughts and comments on this DVD-A from Steve Wilson. Originally only available for a short time as a limited edition with a special book, the standard CD/DVD-A release showed up in late February 2009.

There is also a lot of information about this release in THIS QQ THREAD.

The picture below is from an eBay listing of the Special Edition with book. I've also added a scan of the standard, retail version as well.

Attachments

• wilson dvda.jpg
    wilson dvda.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 855
  • insurgentes.jpg
    insurgentes.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 756
As mentioned throughout the discussion thread, SW really came through for us. Given the amount of great material he's delivered under the various band monikers (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield) it's amazing that he still had more. This is not even including the limited edition Headphone Dust material that is being issued or re-issued as the case may be.

Have no doubts about the 5.1 surround mix; he must've had this in mind as he wrote, recorded and mixed this album. No stunts, just great involving mixes that will give your system a nice workout.

While I'm very keen to hear the next PT album, Insurgentes will absolutely keep me entertained in the meantime.

Last edited:
Incredible album, perfect surround mix, what more can you ask for.

This is an album that demands to be heard in surround.

10 all the way.

The Music:

Fantastic. Varied, but yet somehow cohesive over the course of the album. There are a couple of songs that aren't utterly fantastic, but I deal with them just fine. Wilson uses the full dynamic range, oftentimes within just one song, and brings in lots of industrial influence in the form of background noise, much of it not really in the background. He creates textures through this noise that create a finite field of sound that envelops the listener in ways that most music doesn't. Were this a poll on just the songs, I would give the album an 8 because there are a couple of tracks that I could live without.

Highlights:
Track 1 - Harmony Korine
Track 4 - Veneno Para Las Hadas
Track 5 - No Twilight Within the Courts of the Sun
Track 9 - Get All You Deserve
Track 10-Insurgentes

The Mix:
The surround mix is very involved. I wouldn't necessarily say that the sound ping pongs that much, but all 5 channels are discrete, and he uses them very well, particularly to create sound walls to envelop the listener. This is more than a glorified stereo mix. SW is quickly becoming a 5.1 master mixer (if he isn't already), and this album shows those talents front and center (and rears and subwoofer too).

The Fidelity:
Great. Better than great. Better than better than great.

Although the album is more accessible than it might have been, it probably is not every ones cup of tea. But I do like it and I'm very glad it's an 5.1 DVD-A.
I largely agree to e:leaf's points.

finally got a chance to listen to this properly. (my wife nabbed my copy for a christmas present !!) Great album, plenty of what Steven Wilson does best. Surround sucks you in and involves you. Hints of Blackfield, Porcupine Tree, No-Man Bass Communion, but then there would be with such a common theme.

Love it love the package but my have to invest in the standard release just to keep the book, DVD and CD's in nice nick.

Standard edition showed up this weekend. We'll be giving it proper spins! :banana:

I must admit, I am deeply disappointed with this effort. Steve Wil.....:D

I couldn't finish that line of foolishness! I wanted to see how it felt to give Mr. Wilson a bad review. It just won't happen.

What a great package for his followers. We are fortunate that someone out there cares about quality sound.:smokin

Pleasantly surprised to find this at Best Buy for $12.99.

It's an interesting album to be sure, but no real new ground covered, musically, IMHO. I get the feeling that SW is having a bit of fun hanging out in his usual neighborhood - which is a cool place to be, let there be no doubt. Vocally, he's also in his comfort zone. He has so much more to offer. I'd love to hear him really go for broke and do something unexpected and bold. Got the feeling he was pulling his punches a bit on this one.

Not a big fan of the stereo mix. Heard the CD in the car on the way home from BB and the album didn't make much of an impression, to be honest. SW's vox were also quite buried in the 2-channel mix.

However, when I got home and popped the DVD-A in...the universe opened up. SW's voice was clear and distinct and the intricate layers of sounds unfolded effortlessly. Wonderful mix. Audio quality is once again reference, with one caveat...

...a little disappointed that the Insurgentes hi-res 5.1 mix appears to be *at least* 3-4db louder than the hi-res surround mixes of the FOABP and Lightbulb Sun DVD-As, which I thought were mastered PERFECTLY. Haven't heard the hi-res stereo, so not sure if it's the same. No biggie, but unnecessary dynamic range limiting, especially on the hi-res option.

My comments might come off as a bit luke-warm, but I really did enjoy this release. SW's cruising altitude is about 20,000 feet higher than everyone else ;)

Last edited:
Great fidelity, great surround, not quite great content. The standard package design is still heads and tails above most and well worth the wait. There is an undertone to the music which leaves me with an uneasy feeling - not condusive to repeated listening but admirable for accomplishing what I am sure SW set out to do. Can't wait for his mixes on KC!

Great fidelity, great surround, not quite great content. The standard package design is still heads and tails above most and well worth the wait. There is an undertone to the music which leaves me with an uneasy feeling - not condusive to repeated listening but admirable for accomplishing what I am sure SW set out to do. Can't wait for his mixes on KC!

Interesting take.
I have to say that I find this one seriously grows on you. The more you play it, the better it gets - and it got me first time out & is still getting better every play.

Interesting take.
I have to say that I find this one seriously grows on you. The more you play it, the better it gets - and it got me first time out & is still getting better every play.

I'll take your word for it Neil! I do plan on more critical listening, perhaps my mood for the day was not right but despite my queasiness, I still admired what I heard.

I like Insurgentes very much. The surround mix is very good and the individual tunes are growing on me. I would rate it a 9.

Elmer, not sure if you are refering to the songs that have a darker feel to them as its hard for me to describe in words about some of the songs on this release but some of the songs do have a darker,spooky,creepy overtones to them. Not sure if that was Steve's intent but the contrast between the softer more beautiful parts and then going to the darker parts can be quite jarring. Not a music listen that one could fall asleep on. I will rate it as a 9 as it is well recorded and a interesting listen but its not one that I can put on for family listening(my son likes it but wife and daughters do not appreciate this kind of album). Put the family comment in as my surround room is in basement but is not a enclosed room so sound travels upstairs and sometimes family has to run for cover.

peter

Elmer, not sure if you are refering to the songs that have a darker feel to them as its hard for me to describe in words about some of the songs on this release but some of the songs do have a darker,spooky,creepy overtones to them. Not sure if that was Steve's intent but the contrast between the softer more beautiful parts and then going to the darker parts can be quite jarring. Not a music listen that one could fall asleep on. I will rate it as a 9 as it is well recorded and a interesting listen but its not one that I can put on for family listening(my son likes it but wife and daughters do not appreciate this kind of album). Put the family comment in as my surround room is in basement but is not a enclosed room so sound travels upstairs and sometimes family has to run for cover.

peter

Love the mix and appreciate the artistic/musical viewpoint of SW and PT. Just can't warm up to the dystopian viewpoint presented here. I realize that the world presented in most of the PT and SW related releases is not the happiest of places. Just a rather grim viewpoint that requires a specific state of mind (IMO) to immerse oneself in.

Like this record very much. Not just rock, but a diverse collection of songs. 5.1 mix is really great. Within a few days I am going to listen to a Tannoy Arena 5.1 speakerset and take this dvd-a (and other discs as well) as a demo disc. Lets see how that works out.

(Actually as I had problems with the playback of the advanced resolution mixes, I got in touch with Neil Wilkes and he pointed me to this nice forum. Problems were solved with kind assistance from Neil, so I can listen to it in full glory)

Just some notes I made while listening:
It's taking me until track 5 to get really involved in this album. While these tracks are very good its not until track 5 comes along that this thing starts to soar and does not stop until it lands beautifully with the title track, Insurgentes.

Track 5. Best use of a centre channel since DSOTM (SACD). Maybe some influences from KC. ie: Lady of the Road.
Track 6. Influences/sounds of Tears for Fears.
Track 7. No comparison. Pure Wilson. Genius. Question: Was he an only child?. Edgy, great mix, swirly.
Track 8. Lovely and Eerie. Twilight Zone.....
Track 9. See 7. Vocal centre ~70%.I would have preferred a ~ 50/50% split with fronts.
Track 10. Nice piano. Brooding melody. Nice vocal ~ 50/50% split.

I voted a solid 9.

Utterly Brilliant !
Thoughtful and growing more interesting with each listen . We should support this guy on general principles for putting the rest of the music industry to shame , but also for having the cajones to insist on hi-res when that industry is trying to down-res and PG-13 the entire planet !!

A Very Significant Other !

~M~

Very good indeed on content and surround mix as others have commented.
For those who have not picked it up...I just found a copy of the standard release in my local new & used music store last weekend. Missed the initial special edition, but it can still be found and only paid $15. John S.

Back