HiRez Poll Wilson, Steven - THE FUTURE BITES [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Steven Wilson - THE FUTURE BITES

• Total voters
Seeing this thread pop up again started me thinking. (wery danjoris)
I hadn't listened to Future Bites in a long time and I wanted to give it another shot.
So last night I took a couple tokes and fired things up under the best conditions here.
I listened once more to be sure but, straight or stoned, I felt the same.
I mostly think the Atmos/surround mix is pure Steven Wilson, just about the best you can find anywhere, really great.
But I just can't get into the music, neither the melodies nor the lyrics make for a experience
that makes me want to play it again. :(
I've read a lot of Steven's interviews, etc; and understand his feeling of wanting to be on the music's edge all the time. But being who I am, I would so rather listen to Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, Storm Corrosion, etc, than this one or a few other of his newer solo works.
It really disappoints me here, I soooo much want to love everything he does.
Leaving my vote at an 8, but I was really tempted to lower it to a 7
JMHO and I'm sure others may totally disagree with me.

Underrated. UNDERRATED. Overshadowed by his best works. Songwriting here is less inspired and (admittedly?) more commercial. A break from prog 😬?
Mixed flawlessly. I'd give 6 to the music if on CD 😁 ! But with such a discrete mix not less than 9.

I've posted about this album before on other threads. I had no idea this album is as divisive as it is until I came on forums like this. It's a departure from his other works for sure. But I really appreciate the Waters-esque look at our society. A lot of reflection on consumerism, politics/politicians and the social constructs we've made. And 12 Things I Forgot is a great reflection on aging and how we cope and change as part of that process. As someone close in age to Wilson, I certainly identify with a lot in there.

I would give it a 9.5 if I could as the Atmos mix isn't quite up to some of the quality of some of the best out there, but I couldn't see dropping it to a 9 since it's still very engaging. I don't know if I would agree the writing is less inspired, but it's certainly focused on being a commentary/critique on society and less experimental than he usually is. It's very on point with it's messages. I can certainly see why it can be hard to appreciate. Not everyone wants to get into an album that is holding a mirror up to the worst parts of the world and asks us reflect on the less than great aspects of ourselves.

I would give it a 9.5 if I could as the Atmos mix isn't quite up to some of the quality of some of the best out there, but I couldn't see dropping it to a 9 since it's still very engaging. I don't know if I would agree the writing is less inspired, but it's certainly focused on being a commentary/critique on society and less experimental than he usually is. It's very on point with it's messages. I can certainly see why it can be hard to appreciate. Not everyone wants to get into an album that is holding a mirror up to the worst parts of the world and asks us reflect on the less than great aspects of ourselves.
If I recall correctly, this album was his first Atmos mix.

I believe In the Court of the Crimson King was done before; at least, they both released around the same time so maybe simultaneously.
https://www.mixonline.com/recording/steven-wilson-knows-surround-part-1

FIRST ATMOS MIXES
Wilson’s current solo album, The Future Bites, was released in January 2021 and was the first to get the Atmos treatment before he built his new room. “I went down to Dolby’s London studio and did it with the help of one of the Dolby guys, Jake Fields,” he explains. “I took a load of stems and learned a lot about how to create an Atmos mix and all of the quirks and differences between doing 5.1 and immersive mixes.” The album is nominated for Grammys this year in the Best Immersive Audio Album and Best Boxed Set or Limited Edition Package categories.

I know it doesn't categorically state ITCOTCK was done after. But it sure sounds that way. He took TFB to Dolby before his studio was set up. Either way it was first or second.

Back