HiRez Poll Wilson, Steven - TO THE BONE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Steven Wilson - TO THE BONE

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2017 album by Steven Wilson entitled "To The Bone".
The album was mixed in 5.1 surround by Steven himself, and it is available to own as a single Blu-Ray release or as part of a deluxe edition set containing both Blu-Ray and DVD-V.

(n) :) (y)

filename-1.jpg
filename-1-1.jpg

The music much more, and that may influence my opinion of the surround mix which for me is one of Stevens best and most adventurous

I've only had an initial listen through the album, so these comments should be seen in that context I can't put my finger on it exactly, but there is something faintly disappointing about the 5.1 mix. The single version
of "Permanating" as shown on You Tube, to my ears at least, sounds punchier than either the stereo or 5.1 mix on the Bluray. Indeed the 5.1 mix especially sounds (and I'm fighting to find the term) lethargic or something. But this is something I've noticed before on "Hand.Cannot.Erase." I think the stereo version of "Perfect Life" sounds more coherent than the 5.1 mix. Which, again to my ears, sounds a bit "vague".

The other thing is an odd omission. Why isn't "Permanating" included amongst videos? Or am I just being dense?

Only issue I have with the Blu-Ray is that the bonus videos for "Song & I" & "Pariah" are in stereo only, when all of Steven Wilson's other Blu-Rays have the videos in 5.1 surround too, but other than that, this is clearly a '10'.
Some of Steven Wilson's best music along with a really great surround mix and amazing fidelity.

What more could you ask for? Buy it now! :)

You know, I don't know what it is about this release....but the songs make me feel...good. More than many other Wilson releases. Seriously. Pariah is epic. I just played this for my wife (who knows about Wilson and Porcupine Tree) and she could not believe it. We both love it and I'll be playing and recommending this often.

Killer......

Not really poll related but it looked like the most up to date thread. Burning Shed have limited copies of the Deluxe book, but it's UK only and you need to order by 4pm TODAY.

https://burningshed.com/steven-wilson_to-the-bone_deluxe

The cynic in me tells me that this has something to do with getting him to number 1 in the UK charts, he was number 1 in the midweek chart. Looks like an extra push by the record company, wouldn't surprise me if the deadline for this weeks chart was 4pm today!

The cynic in me tells me that this has something to do with getting him to number 1 in the UK charts, he was number 1 in the midweek chart. Looks like an extra push by the record company, wouldn't surprise me if the deadline for this weeks chart was 4pm today!

Too synical attitude from your side, I would say... To sell a few more copies of the very limited number of the super duper box will hardly have any effect on the official sales number.

Too synical attitude from your side, I would say... To sell a few more copies of the very limited number of the super duper box will hardly have any effect on the official sales number.

I think it will be more than a few copies, a few hundred could make all the difference to claim the number 1 spot, every bit will help. The cut off time for inclusion in the UK charts is midnight on Thursday, so this does all make sense...

Superb mix and fidelity. The music is wonderful... almost every song has something that stands out for me. My favorites would be the less "Steven Wilsony" songs ("Pariah", "Blank Tapes", & "Song of I"... "Permanating" is also great, but kind of loud relative to the other tracks). The sequential solos (harmonica/guitar/keyboard) in "Refuge" are fantastic... this could be the "Home Invasion/Regret#9" of this album (if such a thing is possible). "Detonation" is also killer (and about a killer!). Really the only song that hasn't taken hold of me after about 10 listens through is "Song Of the Unborn". If "Hand.Cannot.Erase." didn't exist, I might have given this a 10... this ranks as my 2nd favorite Steven Wilson album (tied with "Raven")... maybe they should all be 10s, but I've got to somehow rank these varying levels of greatness, so this one gets a 9. Another must-have surround disc!

Well I am certainly not ready to vote. If I did right now it would probably be a six, based solely on the music. SQ and mix is obviously first-rate. I typically need a few listens for Steven's music, but usually because the music is complicated and requires dedicated attention to appreciate. Right now this is almost feeling too straight-forward. Maybe there is another layer I need to uncover. So far I do not like this trend which seems to push more towards mainstream/pop, but I grew to really like "Hand" so maybe I just need more time.

Well I am certainly not ready to vote. If I did right now it would probably be a six, based solely on the music. SQ and mix is obviously first-rate. I typically need a few listens for Steven's music, but usually because the music is complicated and requires dedicated attention to appreciate. Right now this is almost feeling too straight-forward. Maybe there is another layer I need to uncover. So far I do not like this trend which seems to push more towards mainstream/pop, but I grew to really like "Hand" so maybe I just need more time.

I fully agree with the above...

My first impressions: It is likely I will not listen to this again. Giving proper listening is precious time to me. I have too many discs to listen to far ahead of this one. The music on this disc is all over the place for me. Did I hear Curtis Mayfield (Track 4)? A harmonica? A one-man boy band (Track 6)? Yes (Track 10)? Tracks 7&8 were reassuring sounds of Steven Wilson from the past. While listening to these two tracks, I wondered where Tracks 1 through 6 went. I really liked the tribal groove of Track 9. I tend to hear vocals as an instrument (which worked well) so did not read the lyrics while listening.

I REALLY need to give this another listen.

I fully agree with the above...

My first impressions: It is likely I will not listen to this again. Giving proper listening is precious time to me. I have too many discs to listen to far ahead of this one. The music on this disc is all over the place for me. Did I hear Curtis Mayfield (Track 4)? A harmonica? A one-man boy band (Track 6)? Yes (Track 10)? Tracks 7&8 were reassuring sounds of Steven Wilson from the past. While listening to these two tracks, I wondered where Tracks 1 through 6 went. I really liked the tribal groove of Track 9. I tend to hear vocals as an instrument (which worked well) so did not read the lyrics while listening.

I REALLY need to give this another listen.

So.... you won't listen to it again as your time is precious, or you're willing to invest the time to REALLY listen again? Looks like you just talked yourself into it over the course of your review. :mad:@: :)

The 5.1 for me does everything a good surround mix should do, which is to elevate the music even further, solidifying certain moments and highlighting other standouts to make use of the format and mix. The epic tunes become even more epic (the last few minutes of 'Detonation'....just wow!!), and even tracks like 'Permanating' become more immersive and solid. SW has said for many years now that he tries to make each release different from the last, so I too try and approach each album with a clean slate as a listener and not expect HCE part 2 for example. It's what keeps it interesting and challenging as a fan IMHO.

I've had the stereo version for a couple of weeks now (and the 'singles' for even longer), so am fairly familiar with the songs and just needed the blu-ray to judge. I agree with other reviewers that this surround mix may be his most adventurous of his own work, as far as the discrete placement goes. The electronic elements (loops, synths and drum machines) in particular sound brilliant! The bass on this album though is what makes it stand apart, it really gave my sub a lovely workout and gave the tunes a nice depth. The Floyd-like opening guitar/bass note on 'To The Bone' made me sit back in my chair, and 'Permanating' really benefits from the driving nature of the rhythm section mix. I'm going to be playing this album a lot, and I'm glad I ordered the Deluxe Edition. A '10' from me.

I have listened to this about 5 or 6 times now. I LOVE this album!! Everything about it - from the more poppy song structures to the excellent vocals (I really enjoyed the mix of female vocals with Steven's) to the instrumentation and the surround mix grabbed me immediately. It usually takes me quite a few listens to really appreciate all the previous albums. This one hit me the first time.

I know that Steven has thought he would get a bit of crap for a song like "Permanating" but, to me, it is one of my favorite Wilson songs ever. I was listening to it and it brought me back to the 1979 ELO album "Discovery" - another of my all-time favorite albums.

Great tunes. Great mix. Easily my favorite Steven Wilson album and another highlight of my year. Thank you Steven Wilson!!!

A clear 10 from me.

I love all the songs, I love the sonics and the mixes, I love that he is stretching a bit from the "SW formula" compared to his latest releases, I love his singing and the guest vocalists, I love that he plays a lot guitar himself. So a 10 it must be.

For me his latest three full length records are all 10 in my books. H.C.E. is the crown jewel, but both Raven and To The Bone is really top notch as well.

Best songs for me:
Pariah
Blank Tapes
Detonation

Best 5.1 mixes for me:
Permanating
Blank Tapes
Song of I

Really looking forward to seeing him live next year. Fingers crossed for including Ninet Tayeb in the shows and for recording a live bluray from the tour ( I have not yet forgiven him for skipping this for his H.C.E tour)

Anyone know why this title's delivery is so delayed via Amazon-USA? I ordered both the CD and the Blu-ray at the same time on 9/26/17. The CD should arrive later today, but the Blu-ray has yet to ship and shows a delivery window of 9/11-9/20. What gives???

Back