Windows 11 is out today. Is there any reason for QQers to upgrade from Windows 10?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well.....after spending hours doing a bunch of software installations, I come to the dealbreaker. Windows 11 absolutely will not let me set the sound output to anything beyond stereo.

The dropdown shows options for 5.1 and 7.1 - but automatically sets it back to stereo when selecting either.

A google search turns up nothing.

Drivers are all current, hardware is all the same I was using in Windows 10 earlier today with no problems. Windows 11 breaks surround sound.

Guess it's time to pull out the backups and start restoring to 10.....

Spent an hour in chat with Microsoft support. Which is a joke. Did all the same basic troubleshooting I already did, and basically said to roll it back to 10 and submit feedback. No escalation of the issue, no actual help.

I suppose surround is dead in Windows 11, unless you want to pay extra for the Atmos headphone app...

The Windoz test app told me my computer wouldn't do 11.
I don't get it? It was a fire breathing monster
When I built it in 2008.
It's maybe not that it won't run it, but what gets disqualified is based on the cpu. It's a security thing; older cpu's are subject to a bug (in my limited understanding) that lets code get inserted at boot up. I ran it for a while on my secondary rig with 6th generation mobo/cpu (6700K). I even ordered a tpu chip but cancelled when I found out it would make no difference.

It's maybe not that it won't run it, but what gets disqualified is based on the cpu. It's a security thing; older cpu's are subject to a bug (in my limited understanding) that lets code get inserted at boot up. I ran it for a while on my secondary rig with 6th generation mobo/cpu (6700K). I even ordered a tpu chip but cancelled when I found out it would make no difference.
No problem, I run Linux here anyway, just checkin things out. ;)

Spent an hour in chat with Microsoft support. Which is a joke. Did all the same basic troubleshooting I already did, and basically said to roll it back to 10 and submit feedback. No escalation of the issue, no actual help.

I suppose surround is dead in Windows 11, unless you want to pay extra for the Atmos headphone app...
Mine works just fine in surround. Is it the mobo sound not working, or some separate hardware connected via HDMI? I've got the Realtek audio on my Asus board and Asus has rolled out updates for the audio drivers twice since the board came out. The 3.5mm jacks/surround output from the mobo is run to a manual switch then to an old AVR with 5.1 analog inputs
At any rate make sure all the manufacturer's drivers and BIOS are up to date. I manually check for updated drivers/BIOS about once a week on the manufacturers site.

In the evenings I switch my monitor over to a tv I have mounted on the wall next to the bed. Windows 10 never wanted to recognize the tv as a sound device half the time so the tv speakers wouldn't work. With Win 11 it's never a problem, and it's recognized as what it is, a stereo speaker system. It usually automagically recognizes the tv but when it doesn't I can just go to the sound properties and manually select it.

You on an all night party or just an insomniac like me?
Don't know I'd call it Insomniac, just a night owl, always have been.
Since I retired I now kind of live by my own clock.
This is my favorite time, the phone don't ring, no one comes knocking, its super quiet.
I can kick back and listen to tunes etc without any interruptions.
Only taking a break between albums for a pee and check the forums.
When I see it starting to lighten up, time for bed.
Sleep till noon or so, then repeat.
Got about another 2 hours tonight.
Life is good.

I built my PC 12 years ago, still going strong on Window 10.
Too old now for Windows 11 upgrade.
Might look at getting the latest Intel Nuc 11, as I only use the PC for surround music playback off the hard drives, now.
It was originally built as a high end gaming rig but them days are now over, sadly.

Very interesting to read how folk are doing work arounds or its just working as advertised.

I built my PC 12 years ago, still going strong on Window 10.
Too old now for Windows 11 upgrade.
Might look at getting the latest Intel Nuc 11, as I only use the PC for surround music playback off the hard drives, now.
It was originally built as a high end gaming rig but them days are now over, sadly.

Very interesting to read how folk are doing work arounds or its just working as advertised.
I think I got one more new build left in me. LOL
My good old CoolerMaster case is still perfect for my needs, a lot of room for my current 6 HD's, all SSD, total of 8 TB's for music, etc; and anything else I may want/need to add. I just want it to be totally silent this time so I keep looking into the cpu vs speed vs silent cooling options. When I come onto the setup that rings all the bells for me, I'll start my new-egg order sheet.
Crap, the suns coming up, time to crash.
I got tickets to see Kansas tonight, hope they can still rock.

Starting build of "The Beast" circa Dec 2007
IMG_0464c.jpg

Almost finished
IMG_0473.JPG

Lookit that Gigabyte board with all those Pci1 slots!
Can't recall what board(s) I was using in 2007. That one doesn't look familiar.....except the "ultra durable" stamped on the board let's you know it's a Gigabyte.....

Don't remember without looking it up, but I had so many problems with a board once that Gigabyte bought my entire system which included two 7950 video cards and shipped it to China where they claim they could not reproduce the problems. :rolleyes:

Found the list I made at the time, here's what I shipped:
Shipping contents

1x Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H motherboard

1x Intel 4770K cpu

1x Kingston 16GB RAM kit

2x PowerColor AX7950 graphics cards

1x SeaSonic Platinum 1000 power supply

1x DVD Burner

1x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD

3x Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Last edited:
I think I got one more new build left in me. LOL
My good old CoolerMaster case is still perfect for my needs, a lot of room for my current 6 HD's, all SSD, total of 8 TB's for music, etc; and anything else I may want/need to add. I just want it to be totally silent this time so I keep looking into the cpu vs speed vs silent cooling options. When I come onto the setup that rings all the bells for me, I'll start my new-egg order sheet.
Crap, the suns coming up, time to crash.
I got tickets to see Kansas tonight, hope they can still rock.

Starting build of "The Beast" circa Dec 2007
View attachment 75619
Almost finished
View attachment 75621
A very cool build.

Mine is this case, as I originally looked at water cooling but went with additional fans instead.

Obsidian Series™ 800D Full-Tower Case (corsair.com)

Almost tempts me into having another go.... :unsure:

You may find this site handy for any future builds
Its the USA version

System Builder - PCPartPicker

Last edited:
It was a fire breathing monster
When I built it in 2008.

In my work life I occasionally come across vintage machines such as yours. Sometimes they are still running because they're scared of trying to migrate some vital app, sometimes they figure it's still "working'" why change? It's always painful. Working on a "vintage" car can be pleasant, but not computers.

Can't recall what board(s) I was using in 2007. That one doesn't look familiar.....except the "ultra durable" stamped on the board let's you know it's a Gigabyte.....
Bought all this just after the Intel I series stuff was introduced
and got great closeout pricing on the board and cpu.
The gamers always want the latest -greatest.

I've no real need for a new box accept my desire for silent running and
a nagging fear this thing could die one day?
It's still plenty fast for music-video serving, internet surfing, etc

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 - Core 2 Quad Yorkfield Quad-Core 2.83 GHz
8GB of OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700 W

In my work life I occasionally come across vintage machines such as yours
Keep em clean and cool, they'll last a long time.
I've pulled a few out of the dumpster, cleaned em up, and loaded a
lightweight and safe Linux OS in them. Then donated to our library, seniors, etc.

Sal, spend the money in a good power supply to assist in your search for quiet. Take a peek at the Corsair CXM series.
Thanks, will do. A good silent PS is the heart of a build.

Back