Windows 11 is out today. Is there any reason for QQers to upgrade from Windows 10?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MacOS has been blacklisting fully hardware compatible machines since 10.12.0. It gets worse every new release. There ARE patched versions of the installers from friendly people online but still. Their recent machines are soldering hard drives to the logic board. Any separate part in their computers or phones are serialized and cannot even be swapped between like machines. Careful.

As I sit here with my i3 Dell and Windows 7 that just updated to Firefox 93 last night, and Comodo antivirus and firewall continue to update daily, what am I missing?

As I sit here with my i3 Dell and Windows 7 that just updated to Firefox 93 last night, and Comodo antivirus and firewall continue to update daily, what am I missing?
Once they stop supporting a version they don't fix the security vulnerabilities in the Operating System, so your PC is open to attack from nefarious sources. The antivirus and firewall help, but they can't completely protect the PC due to the security bugs. So that really is the risk. But, I don't know anyone who has had their home PC compromised .....yet!

Nice to know. But I am in no hurry.
IMG_20211007_011717.jpg

That's why the first thing you do after building a new system is clone it! That forced surprise update business... If you had a backup clone of your system drive, rolling back to yesterday would take 5 minutes. Then you untick the auto update button in system preferences. If Windows is not respecting that switch (which is the accusation right now), you block it calling home with Little Snitch. (Or other preferred network monitor app.) Make your computer "your computer".

Also keep in mind that a lot of the security vulnerabilities are around physical access. Are you working for the CIA or are you a bank CEO? Got a million credit card numbers on one of your machines? If not, settle down. You know what a thief is usually going to do with your computer first? Erase and format the hard drive and clean install the OS. They're not interested in your overdrawn bank account.

my issue is certain software like turbotax will only work with win 10. It won't work with windows 11 presumably so if I need to access my tax forms I can't update win 10 to 11 "for free" because I will be forced to buy turbotax again.

Don't forget 2000!

I'd never forget it, that was my go to version between 98SE and XP. I held onto that for quite a while, took some time for me to embrace XP. But my Microsoft number line was based on the consumer line of Windows, 2000 was in the NT line.

Back