Windows 11 is out today. Is there any reason for QQers to upgrade from Windows 10?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you with older PCs that will not be offered the Windows 11 upgrade via Windows Update, you can download the Windows 11 .iso and upgrade that way if you wish. However, be warned that Microsoft has stated that PCs that upgrade to Windows 11 this way may not receive Windows updates, even security ones.

Planned obsolescence is nothing new. They have been doing it with cars for pretty much my entire life. I was good friends with a designer who worked for a GM supplier of cooling components. One of his objectives was to simulate and try to enhance designs that would fail at a pre-determined time. They would then look at the cost of the various designs and decide which design would maximize profit taking into account things like mean time between failures, the probability of failure within warranty, how many units they had to produce and store for spare parts, etc. They were perfectly capable of producing units with longer life, but consciously did not.

For those of you with older PCs that will not be offered the Windows 11 upgrade via Windows Update, you can download the Windows 11 .iso and upgrade that way if you wish. However, be warned that Microsoft has stated that PCs that upgrade to Windows 11 this way may not receive Windows updates, even security ones.
I mentioned that earlier. Its a truly bad look for them.

Why should HP spend money writing a new driver when they are going to get zero return on that money? From HP's point of view it is Microsoft's fault for making the old driver incompatible.
No it's not all MS's fault. They both are in it together. And sometimes (rarely anymore) it is about making a product that lasts a long time which builds brand loyalty. I like to take care of my things and make them last. I was brought up that way.

Scanners and printers do eventually wear out and either fail or start producing weaker quality output. That is the time I'd replace the unit. I had an HP scanner that started producing dull-looking scans. I found another one cheaply to replace it and that replacement has been running for more years than the failing one. It's good that I have kept all my driver installation discs. I will use them again and again. I actually should start looking around on ebay for a 10-15 year-old HP scanner in nice condition, I actually like their old scanners and laser printers.

if they can put out updates to improve OS and security, they can put out updates that slow your old system to a crawl
It's called bloat! That's the problem with Win11 now, it loads so much into memory at just a basic boot things start to bog down. Then load a few Win11 approved apps and it gets to the molasses in January stage.
I've pulled a bunch of old towers out of the garbage that ran fine. After a clean out and maybe a new fan or two, then with a lightweight Linux OS they ran like nitro burning dragsters. I've given them away to owners that were amazed, put one in the library of our condo assc that gets hammered on by people all day long.
It is a shame, todays computers are 1000% more than Joe & Mary Sixpac need for surfing, video chat, etc but they have to pay, then pay, then pay again as the years pass for stuff they have no need for. :mad:

I actually like their old scanners and laser printers.
Last Christmas I bought my first laser printer-scanner for home, a Brother MFC2710DW. It's black only but I really have no use for color. I bought a extra large spare toner to go with it as my experience with ink jets was about 2 weeks use with the included tanks. To my surprise I've been running this Brother for almost a year now on the included toner and the app still says I have about 50% life. WOW, I've printed a LOT of pages. Looks like the spare toner I bought should last me to the grave. LOL As long as it don't break down this laser is well worth the $200 I spent last year.

It is a shame, todays computers are 1000% more than Joe & Mary Sixpac need for surfing, video chat, etc but they have to pay, then pay, then pay again as the years pass for stuff they have no need for. :mad:

Today's and going back 10 years or more as well! People end up downgrading because a hard drive wore out and have no clue.

Yes laser printers!
You can't do the workaround where you unplug the ink-jet printer to stop the timer on the ink (yes, really) because they connect to wi-fi now. The whole thing is absurd. There may not be a single ink-jet printer that is a reasonable product.

HP has by now farmed out all of their manufacturing of printers to Samsung. I bought a professionally refurbished unit recently, and the guy at the plant told me this and that I was getting far better quality with my old newly refurb. I saved hundreds and got a very robust printer, and it is wonderful. I got the model that is not wi-fi, but hard-wired. I did not want anything that could get in the way of printing something at any time.

I think I paid $130 and it came with new toner cart.

Monitors are what can be found late in the year or just after Jan. 1st. Folks upgrade to a larger one when nothing was wrong with their old one.

I won't go into my bad experience with a brand new Samsung 22" monitor. Horrible picture quality and I suffered with it for nearly 10 years.

For those of you with older PCs that will not be offered the Windows 11 upgrade via Windows Update, you can download the Windows 11 .iso and upgrade that way if you wish.
Gee, I kind of feel left out. Booted into my Win 10 partition and didn't get offered the upgrade. :( Not that I give a rodents behind in any case. LOL

Monitors are what can be found late in the year or just after Jan. 1st. Folks upgrade to a larger one when nothing was wrong with their old one.
Guilty as charged. A couple years back I gave away a 10 yo 26" Acer and bought a Acer EB321HQU Awidpx 32" IPS WQHD. Haven't been happy with the picture since I got it.

I saved hundreds and got a very robust printer, and it is wonderful. I got the model that is not wi-fi, but hard-wired.
That's great! All I care about is reliablity and print speed, don't worry over the bells and whistles. I got to say this Brother laser amazed me. When I click to print something it takes a few seconds to (warm up) but then it spits out the pages in a blink of the eye, scary fast. Very pleased with it.

Don't feel too bad if they will not upgrade you. My last computer that I built cost me about $300 as I used parts from a case I had already. This runs Win 7 on it and the build date is 9/13. I used an Asus board as I found these to be the most reliable. I am also an AMD chip person and this is a quad core. The thing about devices and drivers is that if you have an old computer that can run the drivers and a reliable hard drive in it as well as a network card you can share the hard drive so pictures or scans can go on that and then be networked to the main computer. I have a HP4 plus hooked to a Win XP computer that I print from all the time. It is hooked to the Window 7 Premium through a share. Sometimes you have to be tricky to keep from having to buy new hardware. This is the way of this world as everything is throw away.

Windows 11 will run Android apps, and those will be available in the new Windows Store, which will house a version of Amazon's App Store.

So not every Android app thats available from Google Play, but I'll be curious if certain audio specific Android apps such as UAPP, or BubbleUPnP are available, and if so at what price. Currently those apps are cheap bargains through the Play Store given their function and performance for audio.

Windows 11 will run Android apps, and those will be available in the new Windows Store, which will house a version of Amazon's App Store.

So not every Android app thats available from Google Play, but I'll be curious if certain audio specific Android apps such as UAPP, or BubbleUPnP are available, and if so at what price. Currently those apps are cheap bargains through the Play Store given their function and performance for audio.
Maybe that's what the dude from Audyssey was hinting at in his interview last week, the $20 Editor app being ported to Win11 ??? That would be a big improvement for it !!!

Anyone tried updating their motherboard to enable TPM to allow Win 11 to be installed?

I have an MSI z370 sli plus with an eighth generation i7 cpu. It should be sufficient for win 11 but but WIN 11 wont install.
It seems I am missing TPM
The motherboard has a module connector available for a TPM module to install but it seems if you enable TPM in a BIOS setting that should be enough.
This stuff is over my head.....
and you need TPM version 2.0 which the MSI board is supposed to support.

Looks like Microsoft fucked things up. *shocked face*.

I have no plans to upgrade at this time - but my hardware is current, so I decided - lets check if I can. Sure enough, my Windows Updates had a nice alert letting me know my machine isn't compatible for Windows 11, and guided me to the PC Health Check tool that can give more details.

As expected - it was because TPM wasn't turned on in the BIOS settings - so I restarted, turned it on in the BIOS, booted back up, ran the PC Health Check tool, and now the tool says I'm all set.

Except that the Windows Update settings still thinks I'm not compatible, and I've found no way so far to force it to recheck.

Nice to know I can still count on Microsoft to screw things up.

I expect installing/upgrading to 11 through all the "other methods" listed out there would work. I probably could just download an iso and run it off of that, and it will probably go through without issue since when it checks, it should find the same things that the PC Health tool finds....but it's really shitty that Windows Updates will continue telling me I'm not compatible when I've gone through and fixed that.

1634585594158.png

same for laptops I presume?
Sorry, just saw this message.
To answer your question, yep. In fact I've bought a couple
used-refurbed old corporation pull laptops off newegg for $100 or so, cleaned them up
and installed a lightweight Linux OS then passed them out to the needy.

Anyone tried updating their motherboard to enable TPM to allow Win 11 to be installed?
I have an MSI z370 sli plus with an eighth generation i7 cpu. It should be sufficient for win 11 but but WIN 11 wont install.
The motherboard has a module connector available for a TPM module to install but it seems if you enable TPM in a BIOS setting that should be enough.

TPM is a modern day nightmare. It's so hard to determint how or if your box has TPM OK for the needed TPM version Win11 wants. I took a quick look online at your MB and just got more confused? But then I haven't built anything for some years. If I were you I'd call MSI tech support and try to get an answer.
Sorry I can't be more help, maybe someone else here can?

I have a very similar CPU (i7 gen 7 I think). I also have TPM according to the Health Check Tool. I still can't upgrade. The CPU is too old.

Thanks for the responses.

MSI lists my motherboard as Win 11 compliant.

I bought it and the CPU within the last two years should be new enough.

Amazon sells a TPM module 2.0 complaint that fits the MSI motherboards.
Sells for around $59.
But some comments say its not necessary to install one because if you enable TFM in bios the CPU has the function built in....at least the new enough compliant ones.
I thought I read seventh generation i7 cpus were considered compliant.....thanks Duncan for the list of model numbers I will have to check mine.

I suppose I could buy a new CPU for my motherboard but what a waste.

Or activate TPM in bios if I can and buy the add on module.

MS says win 10 is being supported up to 2025 then its win 11 only

One more thing to emphasize I read it has to be TPM version 2.0
1.0 wont work for win 11
so you may have enabled TPM and have it but if its the earlier version not good enough.
There are also some comments on upgrading the software on the TPM module itself.
Good Lord.......

Can Chucky start building computers too?

Back