Windows 11 is out today. Is there any reason for QQers to upgrade from Windows 10?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to change my workflow now, not traumatic but neither is it insignificant.
Understood, change is hard.
But there's probably a half dozen other ways to accomplish the same task.
In any case, anytime I have to boot into a MS OS I feel like I need a shower when done. I stay in Linux when at all possible. ;)

Running the beta version on my gaming PC and have really had zero issues. My laptop, however is another story... stupidly got myself stuck in the dev track and can't get out without a full system reinstall 😑 .

Windows 11 and not a single problem. Liking it a lot to be honest. Seems to be a little quicker and all my programs work.
I agree. No issues or compatabiliy issues using the betas. I really like it. Oh and I am even using it in a computer that was not supposed to be able to run Windows 11. No issues there either

Last edited:
I agree. No issues or compatabiliy issues using the betas. I really like it. Oh and I am even using it in a computer that was not supposed to be able to run Windows 11. No issues there either
I think the issue is that XP was the latest release in the field for far too long, particularly since many people chose to pretend Vista never happened. As a result some software developers got sloppy and wrote code that only works on XP. From Windows 7 onwards Microsoft have changed things often enough that developers taking shortcuts got caught out and had to fix their code. So it's not that surprising to me that moving from Win 7 to 10 to 11 is relatively painless. But there's still a lot of software out there that only works on XP.

I think the issue is that XP was the latest release in the field for far too long, particularly since many people chose to pretend Vista never happened. As a result some software developers got sloppy and wrote code that only works on XP. From Windows 7 onwards Microsoft have changed things often enough that developers taking shortcuts got caught out and had to fix their code. So it's not that surprising to me that moving from Win 7 to 10 to 11 is relatively painless. But there's still a lot of software out there that only works on XP.

Actually, Windows Vista and beyond made changes in the bus timing that keeps real-time software and hardware made for XP and earlier from functioning correctly. There was no way the software makers could have known about these changes in time to make their products compatible.

It takes several years to design hardware for real time operation. Microsoft ruined this by changing the operating system too often for this development to take place.

The labs I worked for lost many capabilities when Vista came out, because the hardware they were using to control experiments and collect data could not function with the new bus connectors and timings. The old bus connectors were also discontinued. Instead of spending millions redesigning the hardware, many of these companies went out of business. The labs kept using XP as long as they could (with the IT department protesting).

Most of my studio software won't work with Vista or newer for the same reason.

I think the issue is that XP was the latest release in the field for far too long, particularly since many people chose to pretend Vista never happened.
Vista, ha, Check the Wiki for MS OS history and they don't even mention that Win ME ever existed. You'd had to do a dedicated search for it to learn about it. LOL

As a fairly outsider view (Linux user but always keep a Win partition for needed proprietary software) Win XP was that last decent MS OS until 10.
Everything in the middle ranged from disastrous to ho hum at best. I was hoping M$ would keep their word of a continuosly updated 10 but that has come to an end.

Just as an FYI, I have been using Windows 11 on both of my HP laptops without issue. It's been fast and bug free. I still have not and probably will not put it on my 'Big Music PC' that I use for conversions and upmixes because I don't want to F up all of the software on it, or take the chance to F it up.

But if you have a current machine and current software, I honestly cannot think of any reason why you would not upgrade as it's almost unnoticeable in day to day use

Vista, ha, Check the Wiki for MS OS history and they don't even mention that Win ME ever existed. You'd had to do a dedicated search for it to learn about it. LOL

As a fairly outsider view (Linux user but always keep a Win partition for needed proprietary software) Win XP was that last decent MS OS until 10.
Everything in the middle ranged from disastrous to ho hum at best. I was hoping M$ would keep their word of a continuosly updated 10 but that has come to an end.

Ah yes Win ME. The less said the better, makes Vista and Windows 8 look popular...

I'm actually still running Vista at home. My laptop came with it installed, and after swapping the disc for an SSD it still does what I need (which isn't a lot admittedly).

As to decent MS operating systems, Windows 7 was pretty solid. Work went from XP to 7 to 10 and that's the sequence of decent versions. I have no experience of 11 so can't comment on it.

Just as an FYI, I have been using Windows 11 on both of my HP laptops without issue. It's been fast and bug free. I still have not and probably will not put it on my 'Big Music PC' that I use for conversions and upmixes because I don't want to F up all of the software on it, or take the chance to F it up.

But if you have a current machine and current software, I honestly cannot think of any reason why you would not upgrade as it's almost unnoticeable in day to day use
Jon I'm running legacy software on Win 11 with no problems. (discWelder, Surcode MLP, Surcode DTS, DVD Menu Studio, etc etc)
In fact I did something I never do; I let the Windows 11 upgrade and keep my apps and all, figuring what the hey, I can always do a clean install. Nope, worked out just fine.
This machine has 8 HDD's and 2 SSD's and has the bulk of my ripped collection mostly in .iso format. No worries. :unsure:

Jon I'm running legacy software on Win 11 with no problems. (discWelder, Surcode MLP, Surcode DTS, DVD Menu Studio, etc etc)
In fact I did something I never do; I let the Windows 11 upgrade and keep my apps and all, figuring what the hey, I can always do a clean install. Nope, worked out just fine.
This machine has 8 HDD's and 2 SSD's and has the bulk of my ripped collection mostly in .iso format. No worries. :unsure:

WOW! That's impressive, and exactly what I was worried about. That old software never dreamed of seeing Windows 10, let alone 11. It sounds like we have very similar setups

I think I will continue to wait for a service pack before moving to 11. It is good to read that many folks have no issues transitioning assuming their equipment is robust enough.

Well, my computer started nagging me for the free 11 update again. And I hate seeing it there in the system tray. But, I was hesitant to click no on it. And I will need to be deploying and supporting Windows 11 for work at some point, so I suppose it's time.

I took new backups of everything, did the in place upgrade again, just to confirm the bugs I saw last time were consistent. They were - except this time Microsoft did the half assed registry fix for me.

Figures - in place upgrades rarely work out.

So, I did a clean 11 install, and no bugs. Of course, I still have to reinstall and configure everything, so we'll see how that goes.

Back