Quad LP/Tape Poll Winter, Edgar, Group: They Only Come Out At Night [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "They Only Come Out at Night"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Edgar's big one, from 1972, Epic EQ 31584.

Side 1:

Hangin' Around
When it Comes
Alta Mira
Free Ride
Undercover Man

Side 2:

Round & Round
Rock'n'Roll Boogie Woogie Blues
Autumn
We All Had a Real Good Time
Frankenstein

On the Q8, the last track on each side of the Lp are reversed.

ED :)

9. Some great tracks, a few too fluffy, great mix. Although I loved it when it came out and still do, it seemed like a bit of a comedown after the killer White Trash. I have a Q8, SQ, SACD 2ch, CD & 2ch LP of this. For me, Quad is the way to listen to this.

r4903.jpg

I gave it an 8.

Hehe. I still remember people, back in the day, trying to dance to "Free Ride" and "Frankenstein".

Doug

The problem with the Winter of this period is that Dan Hartman's pop sensibilities, which were very blatant to say the least, at times overwhelmed Winter. That the edited "Frankenstein" became a #1 hit remains incredible, since it's one of the few 'trashy' tracks on the album, and even then, almost strangled by the synths (which move around in the quad field quite a bit). Not that Hartman's better songs weren't appealing, but as he proved later in his solo career, he was just an opportunist, someone who wanted to be blue-eyed soul but lacking the depth to make it sound honest (which didn't stop him from having a few hits). I gave this one an '8' and would have been higher but sap like "Autumn" simply didn't belong on any album with a Winter brother attached to it. YMMV, of course...;)

ED :)

An 8 here too...
there were two camps here, EW and DH.
"Free Ride" and "Frankenstein" were the best, but something didn't "gel"...
until "Shock Treatment", which I like better...

and that cover makes me CRINGE!!!! :yikes

I happen to love the Q8 of this title. I think my affection for it might have to do with the fact that it was one of the very first quads I acquired as a teenager. I loved the very discrete around the room mix of Frankenstein and fondly remember amazing my friends with it in my 67 Camaro. I'll give it a 9, possibly based partially on nostalgia.

I vote 10. Another of my favorite quads. I really hope AF gets around to this one on sacd.

I voted a 9. It's a slightly more cohesive album than White Trash. You've got several good rockers, some decidedly pop tunes and a couple ballads. It's well balanced, with the right ratio of slow songs to movin' songs. You can listen to this one from end to end and enjoy every single tune. In my eyes, the only major detractor was that the panning synth comes in way too early on 'Frankenstein'.

An 8, my SQ pressing is minty and Frankenstein Rocks. Won't score the quad mix since it is probably my decoder's fault.

I probably played this about 50,000 times back in the day, along with Guess Who my main 2 quad demo 8-tracks, still cool. solid 9

I thought it was kind of cool when they featured "Frankenstein" in a quad segue to demo quad in the van Homer Simpson was listening to.SillySimpsons episode, but accurate none the less.:D

OK - this was my third quad record bought when I was in middle school buying quads so I have a special place in my heart for it. That said, it is the definitive Edgar Winter album as far as material and as far as quad mix. I love the songs and the mix. BUT - I give it only a 9, and here's why. It sounds like all the other 'gold frame' SQs, which is to say no highs, almost no lows and LOTS of midrange. The dynamic range is nearly nil. I have about three copies of it including an import that doesn't have the gold frame (that was for the US only?) and guess what? Rolled off boosted midrange. SO the dynamics make me sick but the material and the mix is great. NOW - Shock Treatment is the opposite - all high end and no bass. Shock Treatment is more Hartman and while they are sappy, they can bring a tear to my eye. And Rick Derringer is one of my all time favs, so ST has that going for it. But I digress...

For me it was the Q8 tape played a million times so... what's high end? Just kidding, it was a decent sounding Q8 as tapes go and we always loved the songs and the mix. It is a shame that this platinum seller has never been given the proper reissue treatment. I do have the stereo SACD and long for the day when this album can have a glorious high resolution quad release. It would be my #1 choice easily. the other albums are okay in their own way as you described but this one is nearly perfect.

PS - Trivia: Ronnie Montrose and drummer Chuck Ruff were both in a band called Sawbuck on a different Columbia subsidiary label right before this album.

This was killer quad in the '70s, and a must own if you had a Q8 player. And the best part of the Q8 'arrangement' was that the best two, er, most popular two tunes came back to back which was perfect when you were going to demo your quad to someone. Head turning stuff. In many ways! :)

Many ways.

Alas, I approached Edgar Winter like many musical tourists. As a 14 year old I was fascinated by the late night FM track Frankenstein. Bought the stereo album by January 1973 and was super thrilled with the Q8 tape arrival around April I think. Then I started working backwards in his catalog. I especially enjoy Entrance (1970) with all its knowing jazz and blues moves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alas, I approached Edgar Winter like many musical tourists. As a 14 year old I was fascinated by the late night FM track Frankenstein. Bought the stereo album by January 1973 and was super thrilled with the Q8 tape arrival around April I think. Then I started working backwards in his catalog. I especially enjoy Entrance (1970) with all its knowing jazz and blues moves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw the Group in concert, young fresh and very energetic with Ronnie Montrose on guitar. Still one of the best shows I ever saw. I also worked back through his catalog, but found nothing like this album.

Please please can't someone get it together and reissue this? It's a borderline travesty we're the better part of the way thru 2016 and this wonderful Quad is still not available on Surround SACD/DVD/BD/download etc... :(

Edit: Gave this a "9" (based on various conversions 'out there') ..kinda frustrating as you just know that - short of an epic screw up - if somebody like AF were to release this on Surround SACD fresh from the Quad mastertapes, it'd be pretty much "8's, 9's & 10's" all round.. and surely do good business, its one of those all-time Classics isn't it..!? :confused:

Back