DVD/DTS Poll Winter, Edgar - Jasmine Nightdreams [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Edgar Winter - JASMINE NIGHTDREAMS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
WOW! Deafening silence! Does no one care about this disc? Other than TOCOAN, this is my favorite Edgar LP of all time. I confess, I have it in SQ and not DTS, but the mix on a Tate is terrific, Derringer is right on, and the last three tracks, the jazz cuts, which I hated in high school are my favorites now. Am I old or what? There is also a track that sounds like Stevie Wonder (Little Brother), only better; and the two rock cuts, Keep on Burnin' and Shuffle Low are real winners. The mix on the LP is terrific too, in the typical CBS vein of the time. I like them for rock albums quite a bit. Anyone have the DTS for comparison?
Marc

Picked this relative rarity (for now) up on Ebay for $10, I thought everyone else either had it or I caught them napping! Anyways, while I wish that SACD of They Only Come Out At Night would turn into 5.1 :mad:, this is a pleasant surprise since I never listened to it back in the day. Good blend of styles as stated above (instrumental jazz rock, blues, one number where someone (R. Derringer?) must have stumbled upon Jimi's Octavia pedal). The use of the surrounds is very, very good in my opinion, lots of full room panning on the last two numbers, tasteful rythmn parts in most of the songs, etc. I gave it an 8, only because I was lusting for Frankenstein and the material on here was perhaps not Edgar's very best. I could easily live with more releases like this and foreswear Hi-Rez....if only DTS Entertainment would do it! What they did, they did very well. I hope that Brad Miller left behind some mixed, legally cleared, but unrelaesed discs just waitng for the right time.......:confused: John

Picked this relative rarity (for now) up on Ebay for $10, I thought everyone else either had it or I caught them napping! Anyways, while I wish that SACD of They Only Come Out At Night would turn into 5.1 :mad:, this is a pleasant surprise since I never listened to it back in the day. Good blend of styles as stated above (instrumental jazz rock, blues, one number where someone (R. Derringer?) must have stumbled upon Jimi's Octavia pedal). The use of the surrounds is very, very good in my opinion, lots of full room panning on the last two numbers, tasteful rythmn parts in most of the songs, etc. I gave it an 8, only because I was lusting for Frankenstein and the material on here was perhaps not Edgar's very best. I could easily live with more releases like this and foreswear Hi-Rez....if only DTS Entertainment would do it! What they did, they did very well. I hope that Brad Miller left behind some mixed, legally cleared, but unrelaesed discs just waitng for the right time.......:confused: John
Well, We were not mixing and most we asked for got released. Not all we asked for came, different story. Now if we can get another fellow we know who did live shows and mixed then to quad to help, we would have hundreds of titles. Gotta work on that guy again......

I too bought the 2.0 SACD of They Only Come Out At Night because I wanted something better than the STILL budget-line-packaged CD of this classic album. Wrote to Legacy about half a dozen times to give this platinum album with 2 major hit singles the attention it was due. Nope, gotta work on Molly Hatchett, Redbone catalog issues and figure out how to market Ozzy's albums one more time. Irritating....

If the quad mix tape is languishing somewhere, I'd sure like to know how to get it into the proper hands. This was always one of my top 5 quad albums; loved every song on it.

I have to admit that I got a soft spot for good ole' Edgar...love his work starting with TOCOAT and this one, although, a bit more personal, is simply GREAT.
I have the DTS CD and am looking for the SQ to make a REAL conversion....never gonna be as discrete as the DTS CD, but I LOVE those extra harmonics added by the vinyl!!!..
I think I gave it a 10!!

Kap'n, don't you mean TOCOAN? My original copy of Jasmine is in SQ. I prefer the DTS CD. Since it never came out on CD 2ch, I've never even heard it in 2ch. Anyone who hasn't heard Edgar Winter's White Trash should pick that up, though it's only 2ch. I have a MoFi Gold CD of it.

Linda
Why Am I Dying to Live, If I'm Just Living to Die?

I have to admit that I got a soft spot for good ole' Edgar...love his work starting with TOCOAT and this one, although, a bit more personal, is simply GREAT.
I have the DTS CD and am looking for the SQ to make a REAL conversion....never gonna be as discrete as the DTS CD, but I LOVE those extra harmonics added by the vinyl!!!..
I think I gave it a 10!!

White Trash was found in the Columbia back door tapes, made the noid a few months ago.
Kap'n, don't you mean TOCOAN? My original copy of Jasmine is in SQ. I prefer the DTS CD. Since it never came out on CD 2ch, I've never even heard it in 2ch. Anyone who hasn't heard Edgar Winter's White Trash should pick that up, though it's only 2ch. I have a MoFi Gold CD of it.

Linda

Linda

Yes , it was a slip of the tongue, erm ---keystroke!!!
And yes, see if you can find the "White Trash" Quad reel DVD-A that came out (as Tad mentions), I'm not a big fan but it's great and YOU will definitely enjoy it....

I love this DTS CD - one thing that seems different about it from other quad mixes from the time is the front and back channels sometimes seem that they are from totally different albums but playing in an antiphonal harmony. It's an incredible quad effect.

Been a whilebut i seem to remember this being quite an interesting 'old school' quad mix.

Liked the music an dmay have to dig it out again for a respin, when i get the chance.

ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL in every single way!!!

The album has such a lovely feel, there's superb musicianship throughout, a great variety of styles yet it still feels like a cohesive album.. oh and did I mention the UTTERLY STUNNING Quad mix..!!!

A "10"! A "10"! A "10"!

If I could give this a "100", I would.

Get it today.. and one day tomorrow everythings gonna seem worthwhile.. and I guarantee YOU WILL face the world with a smile..!!!!

:51banana:

:woopie

:wave

:worthy:worthy:worthy:worthy:worthy:worthy:worthy:worthy:worthy:worthy

just one thing to add.. this is one of those albums you should definitely not judge by its cover.. it's got to be one of the worst album covers ever..!!

Seems I missed this one first time 'round...well, a '7' here: strong mix, but uneven material (as usual for Edgar); overall, though, decent enough.

ED :)

Just received this today. Came in the CD size jewel case. DTS mix is wonderful. Really enjoying this!!!

I finally got my hands on this because fredblue WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT IT ;) and as others have said, the material is a bit uneven but the mix is excellent. I really think Columbia was really hitting it's stride with quad mixes starting in 1975, and it's a shame that quad started to fizzle soon after.

Just received this today. Came in the CD size jewel case. DTS mix is wonderful. Really enjoying this!!!

Thrilled you're enjoying it so, Gmat25! (y)

Its quite possibly, for me, the best vintage Quad mix to have made it out in the DTS spell (though Clapton's "There's One In Every Crowd" on DTS CD gives it a good run for its money, while being less flashy than Edgar W., its a terrifically immersive mix.. Simply cannot wait for the upcoming Clapton box set to have it in 96/24 BDA.. among other goodies!).. in fact I'd say the Edgar DTS holds its own pitched up against Sony's brief SACD flirtation with reissuing old Quads (Ship Ahoy and Blow By Blow = reference Quad).

Pretty sure Edgar only ever came in the regular sized jewel case.. similarly some other Quad to DTS discs, Poco "Crazy Eyes" and Stephen Stills' "Stills" (both pretty good mixes but not upto Edgar, Eric, Jeff or O'Jays standard) never got repressed (I guess they sold poorly?) and so never got repackaged in the later oversized SJB+ DVD-A style cases, like the 2 x Wings, 2 x Moodies, 2 x Clapton's, Steve Miller etc did, as those DTS titles and a few others are available in both size cases.

I finally got my hands on this because fredblue WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT IT ;) and as others have said, the material is a bit uneven but the mix is excellent. I really think Columbia was really hitting it's stride with quad mixes starting in 1975, and it's a shame that quad started to fizzle soon after.

HAHAAAAA!!! oh steelydave! You terror you..!! :p

Isn't the mix just maddiddlyawesome..!! :worthy

If you ever get a surround music naysayer in your house one night.. just sit them in your sweet spot, play those last 3 instrumentals on Edgar's Quad>DTS CD back to back all the way through and if that don't get their jaw-dropping and get them ask you "where can I get this stuff? NOW..!!" then I don't know what will..!

also (sorry guys & girls, I know I can't shut up about this one.. but it's worth it, if you don't have it yet, get it, trust me it's fab!) it's one of the few instances where crazy pan's round the room are almost mitigated by the material.. the way the various keyboard and piano runs whirl round the room is 1.) insane, 2.) yet feels appropriate, 3.) amazing..!!!

oh how I love this mix! I was playing it just last night for about the 4 billionth time! (I nearly took it to bed with me for a cuddle! It's such a hot disc! Ooh baby, baby!) :eek: :spot

Back