Wise Words - Audio Fidelity Moves to Selective Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marshall was just acting in a gentlemanly fashion by NOT RELEASING any titles which 'he felt' infringed on their respective reissue programs.

When another reissue company has a license to reissue an album for several years, it's a legally binding agreement.
In those cases, you have to move on to other options.

The LaBelle album was obviously a poor seller. And having a quad layer didn’t help.

Oh well. I think it’s a great album and am thrilled it was released!

There's an old philosophy that IF there were only TWO people left inhabiting the earth....in time.....they would find SOMETHING to disagree about.

My personal gripe with ALL the reissue companies is that some of the very choicest titles are ONLY being re~released on high quality STEREO vinyl* thus sidestepping Digital multichannel altogether [when available] or even being re~released on higher res digital physical disc.

And the only other way of getting around this rigamarole is to start your VERY own reissue company and find out the hard way that dealing with the Major Record Companies and inevitably, temperamental artists, is a surefire gateway to an early grave...and/or financial ruin!

*Recent example: MoFi licensed S&G's Bridge Over Troubled Water for release on Highest Quality Vinyl for $99 and concurrently, Sony JAPAN canceled their pre~announced/ VERY highly anticipated QUAD SACD reissue of BOTW! Coincidence?:eek:

IMO, BOTH reissues could have easily co~existed as they're two ENTIRELY different mediums unless Simon/SONY gave MoFi ABSOLUTE EXCLUSIVITY to the BOTW masters...which SEEMS to be the case!

Last edited:
"The Collection" really pained me a lot.

Are we seriously now complaining about what this one-of-a-kind collection didn't include?

Maybe we should all take a step back and count our quatral blessings. I for one am thankful for every single one of the recent multichannel releases -- from Audio Fidelity, Dutton Vocalion, Universal, or whoever. I honestly thought I'd be dead before seeing a master-quality release of Laura Nyro, Minstrel in the Gallery, Deodato, or any of the many pleasant surprises we've been offered. High atop that list would've been a disc of hit tracks from various artists -- from different labels -- available for the first time ever digitally in quad. In my dream, this imaginary release would be adorned with a huge banner: NEVER GONNA HAPPEN. But happen it did -- and for that I am grateful. I am so thrilled to have even one track from Bitches Brew, one of the greatest albums ever, found only on SQ (and I say that loosely, having never come across a copy in four decades).

Pressing music discs of any kind is a tough way to make a living in 2018. Let's rejoice that there still be brave souls who there dare to tread. If I had a word to describe my reaction to the last half decade of surround music releases, the word would be "shocked": that there have been so many fine releases, and of such unlikely -- yet coveted -- titles.

Last edited:
Are we seriously now complaining about what this one-of-a-kind collection didn't include?

Maybe we should all take a step back and count our quatral blessings. I for one am thankful for every single one of the recent multichannel releases -- from Audio Fidelity, Dutton Vocalion, Universal, or whoever. I honestly thought I'd be dead before seeing a master-quality release of Laura Nyro, Minstrel in the Gallery, Deodato, or any of the many pleasant surprises we've been offered. High atop that list would've been a disc of hit tracks from various artists -- from different labels -- available for the first time ever digitally in quad. In my dream, this imaginary release would be adorned with a huge banner: NEVER GONNA HAPPEN. But happen it did -- and for that I am grateful. I am so thrilled to have even one track from Bitches Brew, one of the greatest albums ever, found only on SQ (and I say that loosely, having never come across a copy in four decades).

Pressing music discs of any kind is a tough way to make a living in 2018. Let's rejoice that there still be brave souls who there dare to tread. If I had to describe the last half decade of surround music releases, I use the word "shocked". Shocked that there have been so many fine releases, and of such unlikely -- yet coveted -- titles.
Jon was not complaining at all. He was expressing his feelings on a particular release. Everyone should have that right.

There were too many open slots on that collection that should and could have been put to good use. " Rock On" was but one we really needed. I'd be willing to be that we never see that David Essex album in quad in our lifetimes. Other things too that are perfect choices for a track but entire album is too risky and questionable.

I'm not going to sit back and be grateful for any bread crumbs that come out way. I'm going to demand the Winter quads and some WB titles that seem out of reach presently.

I'm going to demand the Winter quads and some WB titles that seem out of reach presently.

Good luck with that.

Speaking of rights, do you believe record companies have a right to seek a profit?
Or should they just be forced to issue that which we demand, regardless?

Pressing music discs of any kind is a tough way to make a living in 2018. Let's rejoice that there still be brave souls who there dare to tread. If I had to describe the last half decade of surround music releases, I use the word "shocked". Shocked that there have been so many fine releases, and of such unlikely -- yet coveted -- titles.

Yes, Yes, and YES! OK, The Collection, while NOT a total success, did give us tracks that otherwise would've been vault rotters and yes, I was hoping for a future Bitches Brew QUAD SACD as well as Nilsson and some additional titles from PI [like Wake Up Everybody] but you have to give AF a big (y)(y) for trying.

EVERY QUAD/5.1 title EVER released has had SOME abject controversy attached. Why this and why NOT that? SHF and QQers are sometimes a bunch of whiners who want their cake and eat it too. Well, the world doesn't work like that.

In a more perfect world, EVERY album should've been remixed into surround......but the Majors F**CKED UP. The Artists F**CKED UP... but here we are in 2018 enjoying a renaissance of sorts.

So we may never get to hear "TipToe Through the TULIPS*" in surround ......... well, thank the Stars for little blessings [in disguise]!

*BIG SNOOD like Tiny Tim :QQlove and tiny tim likey big snood:love:

FOR SNOOD:

And One More For the Road: actually, a great cover

Last edited:
Back