"Wish You Were Here" 4.0 Mix - Correct Channel Assignment?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcorne

Staff member
I just picked up the Wish You Were Here Immersion box and was playing the hi-res transfer of the quad mix off the Blu-Ray (which sounds fantastic). I figured now that I know where everything is supposed to be, why not give the SQ LP a spin? So I fired up the Tate II and played a few tracks off the LP - impressive channel separation, but I was surprised to find that compared to the Blu-Ray, the SQ LP has left & right swapped on both the front and rear pairs (in other words - FL swapped with FR, RL swapped with RR)

My question is: which is the correct layout? I'm inclined to believe it's the Blu-Ray, as the left/right placements of the instruments match both the original stereo mix and James Guthrie's 5.1 mix. Here are some examples.
  • "Have A Cigar" - guitar intro
    • 2.0 - left
    • 5.1 - front left (but also present at about 75% volume in rear left)
    • 4.0 (Blu-Ray) - rear left
    • 4.0 (SQ LP) - rear right
  • "Wish You Were Here" - radio intro
    • 2.0 - right
    • 5.1 - rear right (one of the few totally discrete effects in this mix)
    • 4.0 (Blu-Ray) - front right
    • 4.0 (SQ LP) - front left
I've only ever encountered one SQ LP with a channel error (Harry Stoneham's Hammond Hits The Highway has the fronts and rears swapped in comparison to the Q8), but the evidence points to the Blu-Ray being correct. I wonder if the U.K. SQ pressing has the same layout as my U.S. copy? And what about the Q8?

Last edited:
Check out the cables from headshell to tate, looks like a L-R swap

I think this was noted in passing amidst all the other noise on at least one of the WYWH Immersion/SACD threads/standalone BluRay threads, but no one ever followed up.....

I’ve always noticed the release differences but never thought to ask ”which one is correct?”

I was under the impression that the front to back Chan’s were reversed on the US SQ and Q8 issued releases. No?

Back