DVD/DTS Poll Withers, Bill - Just As I Am [DD DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DualDisc of Bill Withers - JUST AS I AM

• Total voters
Ah, that could be it then - a frustrating weak point on the player! Thanks.

After 10+ years, I finally got around to opening this DualDisc. It's one of those funky original issue DualDisc Jewel Cases with the push-button opening deal, and of course with my luck, one of the pins was broken so the door fell right off. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've been meaning to listen to this for years and finally did. It's not too bad. I agree with the thoughts of the posters above, the 5.1 is not adventurous, but it's pretty old material. Sony should be commended for getting this out, but scolded and reprimanded for not releasing this as an SACD. It's an old argument - "You want the surround, you take what we give you". I would have to guess that this release was created to spotlight the DualDisc format, so that's what it is. Take it or leave it.

Anyway, after listening to it once through I got it ripped to the PC and found that I liked it a bit better with the rears jacked up about 2.2dB. It filled out the soundstage a bit better to my ancient ears.

I added jewel box scans, front and back, to Bob's original post #1 above for archival purposes.

For those who like wav forms, here's "Ain't No Sunshine". (For those who hate wav forms and complain "We don't listen to a jpg", then please ignore it) :smokin (NOTE: This wav form jpg shows the audio AFTER I jacked up the rears 2.2dB.

Bill Withers Sunshine.jpg

Yes, rear chans are too low in the balance. But at least there is discreet action going on.

I've said it before, I sometime listen to the rear chans only going to all four speakers - that is once I know an album really well. It's a fun way to play around with quad and 5.1 programs.

I'd rate this album very high for music quality as well as recording, produced by Booker T Jones of the MG's.

It's a shame Sony didn't want to use MLP for their dual discs. It was, after all, a competing system. They definitely should have released it on an SACD. As for the rear levels, I just boosted them a bit to bring them into better balance.

Listening to "Ain't No Sunshine" channel by channel is most interesting, and reveals the beauty and simplicity of this song, all 2 minutes of it. I never really appreciated it when it came out. Sure, I liked it, but the only thing I remembered about it was that a local late night DJ took the song and spliced in a loop on the "I know I know..." part that went on for half and hour, and created a big ruckus that sent the police to the station to see if the guy passed out! Made the news.

Anyway, if you play the center channel only, it's Bill and his Guitar and wood block all by themselves, like he's sitting there with you playing the song. Very nice. The fronts and rears are almost the same audio material (orchestra and stuff) but when added to the center it gives a very "big space" presentation.

As many have said, this song in this 5.1 mix, as limited as it is, is worth far more than the price of the DualDisc, although I have no idea what this thing would cost today. I think I paid $12 for it.

Back