Working CD-4 (software) Demodulator!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the link in post #1 (DD turntable info):

under the User information & advice section,
requirements for making a good needledrop
of a CD-4 disc.

Kirk Bayne

Hi just checking in: does anyone know the status of the software CD4 demodulator?

I can probably needledrop a CD4 record with no eq if it's useful. I have an Empire 4000 DIII stylus, 4000 DIII cart, and an Empire 698 TT.

I'm guessing 24 bit/192kHz would retain the carrier signal?

Thx

Last edited:
The CD-4 software demodulator is now available.

From the link in the first post, see: User Information & advice section which explains what is required for a CD-4 needledrop for the Stereo Lab software.

Yes, 24bit/192kHz would retain the carrier.

Kirk Bayne

96kHz result in triangles, 192kHz bring a fine sinus in the 30kHz, check it with Audacity.
Hope the software decoder will be implemented in a chip for media players.
As for me, I recorded all after the RIAA, getting a clean CD4 sound to the old JVC amp. from DVD with a bright 30kHz.

And, Does anyone know what is the minimum Mac OS sound lab will run on? Thanks!

EDIT: Found their help page. 10.12 Sierra is the minimum. I'm currently running Yosemite. :-(

May have to upgrade.

Last edited:
Thanks Kirk,

That is a nice option to use a virtual machine. Yet, I think it is finally time for me to upgrade to at least High Sierra on that machine...

Not usually, no. I'm guessing by now it has some security issues, lol.
giphy.gif

Richard Brice (developer of the CD-4 decoder) of Pspatial Audio would be the person to email about the 96kHz/192kHz issue.

Pspatial Audio is taking suggestions for other decoding modes for CD-4.

Details of the CD-4 decoder:
"A New Decoder for CD-4 (Quadradisc) Phonograph Records"
https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=20544

Kirk Bayne
Pspatial does have a software decoder, but you need to 'digitize' the recording by inputting the phono cartridge output directly into a Mic input, then to a .wav file. If your computer I/O trims off audio over 20khz, the carrier will be lost or compromised. Their decoding works really well and they have a great support staff that answers emails same day. I got great front/rear separation, but also a ton of distortion as soon as the carrier was detected and quad began. I gave up and donated all of my CD-4 discs to a quaddie. PSP also has a software QS, SQ and some other matrix decoders. They work the same way on digitized files from quad LP's and yield 3-5 db separation on those formats.

(true about the emails)

CD-4 records should be clean and should be played with a clean line contact/Shibata stylus and the overhang should be set properly.

In another post I mentioned that, even with a (non-CD-4) Shure V15 3 w/MR(line contact) stylus with correct overhang, my Technics SH-400 provides good surround sound, the only (isolated) distortion is due to the Shure missing much of the upper sideband of the FM carriers.

Kirk Bayne

I have an Ortofon Bronze (line contact) MM that will make it up to about 25-30khz. It cuts off the top end of the carrier also.

Back