HiRez Poll XTC - BLACK SEA [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of XTC - BLACK SEA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
10 all the way. Before picking this one up I had Skylarking, Drums and Wires, and Nonsuch and while I thought the mixes were great, I didn’t really connect with the music, as it was my first experience with any of the albums proper.

Enter Black Sea, and I was so impressed I listened to the entire thing in one sitting. This one is so accessible and one of the best SW mixes I’ve heard. I really like the more adventurous approach he’s taken with the mix here, it really enhances the material. The mix that had me smiling was “Living Through Another Cuba”. WOW! 5.1 demo material right there, love the repeated sound effects whizzing through the back speakers, so much fun.

This album has also made me appreciate the more dense production of Skylarking, which was my first listen of any XTC material and I think it was just too much for a new listener, but now I absolutely love it. Get this while you still can, incredible value for the 27 dollars I paid for it.

. The mix that had me smiling was “Living Through Another Cuba”. WOW! 5.1 demo material right there, love the repeated sound effects whizzing through the back speakers, so much fun.
I have always loved Living through another Cuba - the 5.1 mix takes it to another level.

This is perhaps my favorite album by one of my favorite bands and mixed in surround by the best in the biz. An absolute treat, an absolute 10. My only quibble would be the elimination of cross fades and quick segues. It is cool to hear clean intros and endings but I do miss the flow of the original LP.

I thought he was working on Apple Venus volume 1?
Last January they announced work had begun on AV, but because of the way a lot of the album was recorded (DAT I think it’s called), most of the elements are just simply missing. He talked about it in an interview not too long ago. Never say never though.

Last January they announced work had begun on AV, but because of the way a lot of the album was recorded (DAT I think it’s called), most of the elements are just simply missing. He talked about it in an interview not too long ago. Never say never though.
Damn, was really looking forward to another XTC 5.1 album.

I voted a 10 a while ago but didn't comment at the time. This is about as good as 5.1 gets for me. My favorite XTC album with a superb mix and excellent sound quality. I'm so grateful that XTC released these fantastic and very thorough sets and did so at such a reasonable price. Hopefully, more multis surface!

Back