XTC in 5.1!!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Tweeted by Andy Partridge today: "Steven Wilson is currently working on 5.1 surround mix of the NONSUCH album,hooray!"

Whoo-hoo!!!

J. D.

This is very,very cool, real excited about this. As much as I like the King Crimson material done by Steve Wilson, I find much of the albums very challenging to give repeat listen to. XTC on the other hand stating the obvious but a very different band and they are aren't a straight forward pop band but ear candy for sure so this is a awesome band to be able to hear in a new light,I would welcome any of their albums done in surround, very excited by this,can you tell I'm excited.
What I found interesting is that I just went to take a look at the cd as had forgotten whats all on there and low and behold album mixed by Nick Davis(who did Genesis surround cat) so I am more than over joyed that SW gets chance to put his magic touch on XTC's 'Nonsuch' as Nick or whoever mastered the Genesis did not do the best job.

peter

Steven Wilson gave a little follow up on his FB page.

Something of interest to XTC fans: Andy Partridge revealed on twitter today that we're in the process of doing a surround sound remix of the 1992 album "Nonsuch". XTC is one of my all time favourite bands, so this (hopefully ongoing) project is a real honour, especially as Andy is taking a very active role in the remix process. Hopefully more news on this (and some other 5.1 remixes for other artists) soon.

and in the comments

Steven Wilson - Official page Nonsuch is first because it's the first set of tapes EMI managed to locate, but I also now have Drums and Wires tapes (=masterpiece). Gonna be fun!

So looks like EMI is searching the vaults for more tapes!

Never heard XTC. But if it's high resolution I will buy it otherwise I'll go along with wavelength and not.

Hi-rez is not where it's about. A good mix (I like Steven's mixes) is. A lossless format would be great (DVD-A, BluRay).

I've only discovered XTC in 2009 when I read Steven Wilson's article in Sound and Vision, where he listed 20 albums that should be mixed in surround. Skylarking was in that list.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/20-albums-deserve-be-surround-sound

I hope he gets his chance to mix Skylarking. It is one of my XTC favorites.

It is interesting to read this list now. Moving Pictures and Quadrophenia have since been mixed in 5.1, although not by SW. SW has done TaaB, although we have yet to hear it properly. One can only hope that he will get to mix them all!!

Hi-rez is not where it's about. A good mix (I like Steven's mixes) is. A lossless format would be great (DVD-A, BluRay).

I mostly agree. As long as it sounds good, I am happy, even if it is in DTS. DTS is where I draw the line though. DD usually ruins the sound completely, although the Caravan release is a notable exception.

I admit I'll be disappointed if it is DTS only.

I've learned Hi-res is no guarantee of good sound either. I have a number of hi-res releases that don't sound good, and it is not because the mix either. A poor mastering can completely ruin a good mix. Flat transfer please!

I mostly agree. As long as it sounds good, I am happy, even if it is in DTS. DTS is where I draw the line though. DD usually ruins the sound completely, although the Caravan release is a notable exception.

Any exception demonstrates that AC3 (Dolby Digital), of itself, doesn't necessarily ruin the sound.

I've learned Hi-res is no guarantee of good sound either. I have a number of hi-res releases that don't sound good, and it is not because the mix either. A poor mastering can completely ruin a good mix. Flat transfer please!

Flat transfer isn't a 'good sound' guarantee, either. Sometimes the original mastering was done in an unbalanced listening setup. Sometimes certain EQ moves were meant to be added for production mastering.

Any exception demonstrates that AC3 (Dolby Digital), of itself, doesn't necessarily ruin the sound.

Very true. That is why I said "usually". The use of Dulby will prevent me from purchasing, however, until I read some reviews.

Flat transfer isn't a 'good sound' guarantee, either. Sometimes the original mastering was done in an unbalanced listening setup. Sometimes certain EQ moves were meant to be added for production mastering

Also true. But, if SW is doing the mix, I'll take my chances with the flat transfer. History has proven that his studio and ear matches my tastes at least.

Goodness another dream come true! These are rich songs that will shine in such expert hands.

Skylarking is probably the most popular request, for me it would be Oranges and Lemons. Nonsuch is a great place to start. Be sure to include all those terrific b-sides I collected while we're at it!

Last edited:
Goodness another dream come true! These are rich songs that will shine in such expert hands.

Skylarking is probably the most popular request, for me it would be Oranges and Lemons. Nonsuch is a great place to start. Be sure to include all those terrific b-side I collected while we're at it!

Dear God
very excited there are more XTC tweets impling that its just the start and it depends on whether EMI can find all of the tapes.

Also a tweet on the state of the nonsuch tapes indicating they ahd not been ideally stored, Anyway any XTC has to be good love my local band

Oranges and Lemons would be wonderful in 5.1. Dukes of Stratosphear is my fave, so that would be even better. Still, I'm happy they're doing Nonsuch.

Skylarking is probably the most popular request, for me it would be Oranges and Lemons. Nonsuch is a great place to start. Be sure to include all those terrific b-side I collected while we're at it!

I mostly agree. As long as it sounds good, I am happy, even if it is in DTS. DTS is where I draw the line though. DD usually ruins the sound completely

Agreed, so nice to finally have the lossless mix of Mike Oldfield's 2009 5.1 Tubular Bells, really is noticeable in the high end how much more open it sounds over the bit-rate starved DVD-V edition. Hope he gets the others out soon too.

No doubt Nonsuch will be either DVD-A or Blu-ray. Thrilled with this one, several tracks on here that I find can showcase how great CD's used to sound from major labels 20 years ago, like the brilliant "My Bird Performs".

the more psychy-proggy ones -- like Oranges & Lemons, and Apple Venus V.1 -- could make great surround releases.

Totally agree here; O&L is my favorite...
The thing is that I think AVV1 was recorded in a crappy ADAT-like format ...but still would make an awesome mix...("Greenman" in Surrround, whew!!!)

Back