HiRez Poll XTC - Nonsuch [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of XTC - Nonsuch

• 10: Great Fidelity, Great Performance, Great Content

Votes: 44 49.4%
  • 9:

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • 8:

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • 7:

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 6:

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
I went with a 9 on this. Wonderful sound. Terrific song-writing. Stylistically way more accessible for me than Drums & Wires (though D&W is growing on me some).
I'm anticipating O&L. I probably won't be auditioning it before the 5.1 shows up. I'm mildly curious where it lies stylistically compared to D&W and Nonsuch.

It's definitely more on the Nonsuch side.

I vote a 9. I like the music, and the surround mix is very good also.

I tried to play this disc again this week but it still won't play.....it still stops dead at the same point.[must be an incompatibility with my Samsung bluray player that's all I can think of......the Drum and Wires disc and all the other Neil Wilkes authored discs play fine btw].

I tried to play this disc again this week but it still won't play.....it still stops dead at the same point.[must be an incompatibility with my Samsung bluray player that's all I can think of......the Drum and Wires disc and all the other Neil Wilkes authored discs play fine btw].

drop me a PM with your email address please

This is such a great record, sadly overlooked, being released in the heyday of grunge and more raw rock oriented music in the early 90's and all. This is nothing short of an english pop masterpiece in my opinion, even more so in surround format. For me this is XTCs finest hour. This is Kinks and Beatles child, now fully grown, full of ideas and still able to manage them all without losing it.

To be honest I didn't know how well this would work in surround - and even though the two 'hits' Peter Pumpkinhead and Disappointed do have a more direct and flat sound stage making them a bit "neutral" - still, all of it is just mindblowing. I mean what the hell happened to "Rook" towards the end - the strings and echo is capsulating you, there are details in "Crocodile" that I've never heard before and the guitar solo in "That Wave" is suddenly something more than a simple guitar solo and... I could go on and on. I loved the album before, I love it even more now. Thank you XTC and thank you Andy and Steven for making this package available.

A well deserved 10.

Last edited:
I bought the DVD- A version of this, as my 2nd taste of XTC on both formats.

For background I am not familiar with any of XTC albums- with my only prior knowledge initially coming via singles 'Senses Working Overtime' , then 'Making plans for Nigel'. For those Oz based QQ'ers I was likely introduced to both offerings via Countdown on the ABC, with the latter only recently in relative terms discovered watching late night re-runs on 'Rage'. (I remember however liking the uniqueness of the 'Senses.." tune as a kid, with it's 'tight' sound that it offered especially the part "1..2...3...4...5" that probably aligned with my learning at the time- as I suspect I was quite young when it was first released and noticed by me. Anyway, I digress off track badly..

All this background leads me to "Non-Such" with no life experience, bias, or memories to judge upon. What I can say with conviction is that If I didn't have a love of surround music, and be part of this forum then I would likely never have listened to this album in all my life.... period.

I am pleased to report that, giving this one a test run I would now rate this item in the top 10 of my now extensive surround collection- I am even inclined to include it within the top 5.

What initially striked me was the uniqueness of the vocal stylings, the quirky and considered lyrics- especially 'The Smartest Monkey' (which appears to be taking the piss on how humanity tends to over-rate it's own brilliance.)

Above all is the consistency of content. There is hardly a dud song on this album. My other prior purchase was 'Drums and Wires' and I do favour the music on this one by a fair degree. Upon reflection I am surprised at how this band has evolved between the periods between the albums, but looking into this aspect we are dealing with a fair time gulf here. "Drums and Wires" was very much (correct me if I'm wrong) part of the post-punk but emerging "New Wave" era, and it is clear to see here that the band was being quite Avant Gard (bad spelling I know) at the forefront of these musical stylings. I do however prefer the maturity and pop styling of this Non Such offering.

Reading the booklet inside I was quite surprised to read about the production dissatisfaction, as I thought this was extremely well recorded, and I would also state as part of this produced. This translates in surround terms into a very thoughtful mix, and one of SW's better efforts (will this comment have me considered as a heretic on this forum?)

Favourite tracks are hard to find as they are all worthy of praise, but I am particularly drawn after repeated listenings to 'The disappointed", "War Dance", "The Smartest Monkey" and I particularly like the mix on "Crocodile" with a very catchy chorus.

I could rant on for ages, but I would probably be trying to replicate efforts better articulated by earlier posts, but I am pleased to say despite not buying the Blu-ray with all the bonus content that this is definitely a winner and something that is true value for money.

Kudos to all concerned in it's production, and it gives me confidence that we a riding a renaissance wave of surround production, that is likely evidence that we as a forum probably underestimated our own powers to deliver quality offerings.

Love this one and give it a solid 9- with reservations that perhaps it should be a 10- but I guess I'm a hard marker.

I had never heard this album, I purchased the DVD-A as a blind buy. I also purchased Drums & Wires at the same time and circumstance. My experience with XTC is I have owned 3 albums for years, Skylarking, Oranges and Lemons, and English Settlement. Although I can say I like all, I hadn't listened to anything other than Skylarking in years and was not confident I just purchased anything that I would listen to much this time either. I don't think I had listened to anything else from XTC, ever.

I recently went on a buying spree for the first time in years, mostly because of Steve Wilson's efforts, I have purchased several Yes surround releases among the others. It will be months before I get around to listening to everything but Nonsuch stayed in a player for a week, I love it. It rates a 9, far better than I could have hoped.

I had never heard this album, I purchased the DVD-A as a blind buy. I also purchased Drums & Wires at the same time and circumstance. My experience with XTC is I have owned 3 albums for years, Skylarking, Oranges and Lemons, and English Settlement. Although I can say I like all, I hadn't listened to anything other than Skylarking in years and was not confident I just purchased anything that I would listen to much this time either. I don't think I had listened to anything else from XTC, ever.

I recently went on a buying spree for the first time in years, mostly because of Steve Wilson's efforts, I have purchased several Yes surround releases among the others. It will be months before I get around to listening to everything but Nonsuch stayed in a player for a week, I love it. It rates a 9, far better than I could have hoped.

Dang Chris - you should come around more often. Nice to hear from you. :)

Hey stranger! Long time. Hope all is well.

Yes, the XTC discs are quite exceptional. I had really never listened to these guys and I was impressed from the git-go.

Nonsuch is a high point for 'ProgXTC' but there are gems on every XTC album, be it 'popXTC' 'FolkXTC' or RocXTC'.

They were not one trick ponies which is probably why they are not more recognised today.

Nonsuch still gets high marks Steven did an excellent job with this and the blu ray extras takes this past any hfpa disc

[SUP][/SUP]Oh boy, now that I am an XTC fan with Steven Wlson remixes I keep voting 10. THis disc actually comes in as my second favorite to Black Sea. Nice mellow pop and not to out there.

Last edited:
This was not for me. It reminds me a lot of Pet Sounds, which is another album where my first exposure was the surround release, that I didn’t or understand all of the fuss. It even sounded a bit like the Beach Boys album to me.

I bought this in 2013, hoping I might finally like XTC. I“m a fan of Wilson”s music and mixes and thought that might do the trick. I listened to it then and dont think I have played it since. Unfortunately what started with English Settlement continued with this album. Not to say to was all bad. I liked The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead, My Bird Performs, Wrapped in Grey and Didn’t Hurt a Bit.

The MLP sounds great and SW’s mix is is amazing, it would be so engaging if I enjoyed the music. There are surround mixes of albums I enjoy much more that I wish had such a loving and playful mix. If I enjoyed the music, this would be 9 or 10 for me, but I found it to be a chore to finish. 6

I always thought that XTC went a little too radio friendly after Skylarking's success. Maybe, but this is a great album that I am guilty of mostly ignoring for almost 30 years.
The ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead is obviously familiar and hard not to enjoy.
Dear Madam Barnum and War Dance stand out from the rest to me.

Again, rating this 7 years after its release and I don't have anything to add to the comments before. The XTC do seem to be some of his best work though.
The job that Steven Wilson has done with my favorite bands has caused me to go pretty far from my comfort zone in search of his other works. Caravan, Hawkwind, Simple Minds, hell I even orderd Ultravox and I only know 1 song on it.
I suppose if he feels that album is worth his time to remix, it is probably worth my time to check out.

Surround Mix: 10 = 3
Audio Fidelity: 10 = 3
Content: 9 = 2.7
Package: 10 = 1
9.7 = 10

Last edited:
It's a 10 - must have like all the SW XTC mixes. Superb. I'm blown away across the XTC SW catalog. I like many others grew up listening to Skylarking - which is awesome. Had never given Nonsuch a true listening several times. This mix makes me want to listen over and over (just like the other SW XTC). Glad my catalog is complete (now to give Dukes a fair listen)

Back