HiRez Poll Yablonsky, Dmitry - Rachmaninov Piano Concertos Nos. 2 and 3 [SACD/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Rachmaninov (Dmitry Yablonsky) - PIANO CONCERTOS Nos. 2 and 3

• 10: Excellent Mix, Excellent Sonics, Excellent Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9:

• 7:

• 6:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Let's start the year off with some Classical titles! Thanks to Brian Moura for these suggestions! PLEASE, as always, do not vote in this poll unless you have these discs. (i.e. Do not vote a '1' because you do not like classical music)

Rachmaninov: Piano Concertos Nos. 2 and 3 – Russian State Symphony Orchestra (Naxos 5.110013 & 6.110013) – DVD Audio & SACD Surround

Label? Performers? Ooops. Didn't see the post when I saw the poll. Someday I may get to listen to this.

Kal

Kal Rubinson said:
Label? Performers? Ooops. Didn't see the post when I saw the poll. Someday I may get to listen to this.

Kal
That's OK Kal. There is too much info to put in the thread title, so I instead put it in the first post. This was the only way I could figure out to do it.

I am just glad that Brian was kind enough to provide the info! :banana:

:-jon

I love this disc to death. The mix really suits the music in my opinion, syrupy romantic pieces with a syrupy enveloping sound. The orchestra is placed at the front as usual (as it should be) but there is a lot of rear information too. Whether this is because the recording venue is very reverberant or because the Naxos engineers decided to sneak an extra db or two into the rears is hard to tell. The centre channel does a lot of work, carrying most of the direct sound of the piano but not to the extent that it sounds detatched from the orchestra. The downside of the mix is that the orchestra is a little indistinct and so this disc isn't suitable for really analytical listening, however for just sitting back and letting the music wash over you it is superb. Perhaps I'll buy a performance with clearer sonics in the future but I have a feeling I'd still play this one most of the time.

I don't have any other recordings of this piece so I cant be very objective about the performance, but I find it very enjoyable and there is plenty of emotion in all the playing. Definitely a good starter for those who are not big classical music fans and a worthwhile disc for those who are. 8/10

Back