Quantcast

Yahoo! Groups going away

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Well, they were pretty out of date. For those that remember, the original QuadraphonicQuad was started as a Yahoo! group by Tad Bartel (quadtrade) and Ken Newman. Tad was the one that directed me to that Yahoo! group back in '99. Anyway, from that came the EZBoard I started when Yahoo! got very commercial and annoying, and then because the EZBoard environment got progressively slower even though I paid extra for faster service, I started what we have here today. The QuadraphonicQuad forum. The name came from that Yahoo! group, so for that we are grateful.

Here's the email I received as a member of that QQ Yahoo! Group. BTW, it's still there if you want to check it out:

Dear Yahoo Group Moderators and Members,

We are reaching out to let you know that groups.yahoo.com (Yahoo Groups) and its list service will shut down on December 15, 2020. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services. For example, you will continue to be able to use your Yahoo Mail account as usual and read content on Yahoo sites like Yahoo News.

Yahoo Groups (groups.yahoo.com) has seen a steady decline in usage over the last several years. Over that same period we’ve witnessed unprecedented levels of engagement across our properties as customers seek out premium, trustworthy content. To that end, we must sometimes make difficult decisions regarding products that no longer fit our long-term strategy as we hone our focus on other areas of the business.

Beginning December 15, 2020 the groups.yahoo.com website will shut down and members will not be able to access the website or use its features. We’ve compiled a comprehensive FAQ here that includes alternative providers and information on how this will impact your group content.

Thank you for helping us build one of the earliest digital communities — we’re proud and honored to have forged countless connections over the last 20 years and played a small part in helping build your communities.

Sincerely,
The Yahoo Groups team

Sonik Wiz

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Well, they were pretty out of date. For those that remember, the original QuadraphonicQuad was started as a Yahoo! group by Tad Bartel (quadtrade) and Ken Newman. Tad was the one that directed me to that Yahoo! group back in '99. Anyway, from that came the EZBoard I started when Yahoo! got very commercial and annoying, and then because the EZBoard environment got progressively slower even though I paid extra for faster service, I started what we have here today. The QuadraphonicQuad forum. The name came from that Yahoo! group, so for that we are grateful.

Here's the email I received as a member of that QQ Yahoo! Group. BTW, it's still there if you want to check it out:

Dear Yahoo Group Moderators and Members,

We are reaching out to let you know that groups.yahoo.com (Yahoo Groups) and its list service will shut down on December 15, 2020. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services. For example, you will continue to be able to use your Yahoo Mail account as usual and read content on Yahoo sites like Yahoo News.

Yahoo Groups (groups.yahoo.com) has seen a steady decline in usage over the last several years. Over that same period we’ve witnessed unprecedented levels of engagement across our properties as customers seek out premium, trustworthy content. To that end, we must sometimes make difficult decisions regarding products that no longer fit our long-term strategy as we hone our focus on other areas of the business.

Beginning December 15, 2020 the groups.yahoo.com website will shut down and members will not be able to access the website or use its features. We’ve compiled a comprehensive FAQ here that includes alternative providers and information on how this will impact your group content.

Thank you for helping us build one of the earliest digital communities — we’re proud and honored to have forged countless connections over the last 20 years and played a small part in helping build your communities.

Sincerely,
The Yahoo Groups team
Whether it is Usenet newsgroups, CompuServe, Prodigy, or even the AOL chatroom's (remember the Dolby forum? That's where I met Stereoboy) this stuff changes & I appreciate your notification & the chance to revisit. It also drives home your decision some time ago to let loose QQ to those that may carry it on longer. Thanks Jon.

AJCxZ0

Since email and mailing lists have been around for everyone before Yahoo! Groups, web forums, social media, etc. and will likely be around after them, folks who want to join or start a mailing list should head to groups.io, which was founded by the folks who started Yahoo! Groups and which is just a mailing list platform.
I started one or two (or twenty) lists for various bands and artists with lists on Yahoo! Groups to pick up where they left off and a few more to pick up interested folks as they stumble across the lists.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Wow. Thanks for more details on the back story, Jon.

Takes me back to CompuServe days. Does anybody remember the laserdisc guy Marc Weilage? “Disc with a ‘C’! That was his tag-line.
Yes I do Tim. I do remember that name, and I was a Compuserve guy, not Prodigy, not AOL. Geez, and then there were "newsgroups". Do they still exist? Haven't thought of those things in decades. My how time flies, as they say.

timbre4

Super Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Yes I do Tim. I do remember that name, and I was a Compuserve guy, not Prodigy, not AOL. Geez, and then there were "newsgroups". Do they still exist? Haven't thought of those things in decades. My how time flies, as they say.
Marc was one fired up guy. I sold him something, can’t remember what now. Came across his name on something just the other day. Looking to scanner to reduce my cosmic debris.

A great Prog rock asset was Gibraltar - kind of a precursor to what Wikipedia does today. Think that was in newsgroups too.

Jim the Oldbie

900 Club - QQ All-Star
...Takes me back to CompuServe days. Does anybody remember the laserdisc guy Marc Weilage? “Disc with a ‘C’! That was his tag-line.
Oh man, now you got me looking through 25+-year-old backup files... :geek: (BRB)

Edit: Marc, among other things, was a Sysop for the CompuServe Audio Hardware forum, where I spent waay too much time (at 2400 baud) back in the early '90s. It was a hella interesting place, though - along with Marc, regular posters included Ken Kantor of NHS, Corey Greenberg & Mike Fremer from Stereophile, E. Brad Meyer & Bill Kenney from Boston Audio Society, Tyll Herstens from HeadRoom, and many others. It was a really informative, engaging hangout back in the day, and sometimes funny as hell - kind of like this place!

I still have some text files taken from those CompuServe forums, they're some of my very oldest computer files (not counting data cassettes of course!).

Usenet is still out there; the current daily Usenet volume is up over 100 TERABYTES per day(!) But nowadays that's nearly all binary files - almost all illegal/questionable and increasingly password-protected. All of the great old text discussion groups are long gone.

Last edited:

atrocity

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Here's the email I received as a member of that QQ Yahoo! Group.
Up-front disclaimer: I am a disgruntled former V*r*z*n employee, so I'm not even remotely objective.

Just want to point out that Yahoo! is now owned by V*r*z*n, a company that apparently really does have an excellent cellular network but, based on my personal experience, is a total nightmare in every other possible way. The fact that they're taking something like this away doesn't surprise me in the least, if anything I'm surprised that they took so long.

[Further ranty stories deleted after thinking about it for a while.]