Yay -- Wish You Were Here 24/96 5.1 -- standalone BluRay !!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too have the SACD. Forgetting the extras on this blu ray, how does the blu ray 5.1 sound compare to the SACD version?

I just wish that I could find the Aqualung blu ray on sale separately!

I can't tell any objective difference in my setup. sacd sounds warmer? Maybe, but I wouldn't dare to say that I could distinguish both in a blind test. I usually play the SACD, but just because I avoid having to open the big box... I must be getting lazier and lazier

I can't tell any objective difference in my setup. sacd sounds warmer? Maybe, but I wouldn't dare to say that I could distinguish both in a blind test. I usually play the SACD, but just because I avoid having to open the big box... I must be getting lazier and lazier

Thanks. Plus SACDs load about 5 minutes quicker on my player than blu rays!

See on the ratings for the disc and comments that someone was warning that the discs might be recall discs that had 3 loud blips at certain exact times, but someone responded saying his played fine and did not have the loud blips

Ordered mine on 08/01 and received in So. California on Monday (8/11) not too bad for across the pond and over the states. No loud clicks anywhere that I heard on the initial listening.

In my quick listens last night, this sounded legit without clicks (although I wasn't in the stereo room for the entire time through both quad and 5.1 mixes).

Thanks for the info. Mine arrived today. Sounds great no pops or clicks. Well worth the $30can.

Just got mine as well and all sounds good.
I wonder if these were just extras that they pressed to get ready for the replacement disk's they would need to send out and not as many people asked for replacements as they thought so now they had all these extra disk's pressed so selling them off rather than just sitting on the shelf.
This is as bare bones as i have ever seen for a disk as just comes in a plain white sleeve as was described by martin.

I was going back and forth between the 2 versions and was trying to pay close attention to listening for pops and maybe this is obvious to others but could not hear anything from centre channel on James Guthrie mix so I guess him and Andy J. have same philosophy on making these quad like recordings.

peter

Just got mine as well and all sounds good.
I wonder if these were just extras that they pressed to get ready for the replacement disk's they would need to send out and not as many people asked for replacements as they thought so now they had all these extra disk's pressed so selling them off rather than just sitting on the shelf.
This is as bare bones as i have ever seen for a disk as just comes in a plain white sleeve as was described by martin.

I was going back and forth between the 2 versions and was trying to pay close attention to listening for pops and maybe this is obvious to others but could not hear anything from centre channel on James Guthrie mix so I guess him and Andy J. have same philosophy on making these quad like recordings.

peter

@peter: thanks for the update :) Mine arrived as well and the sound is crystal clear. No problems at all.

The story behind these is a remarkable mystery. They couldn't be defective - the label is waay too large and their lawyers wouldn't allow the sale of rejects. Its opens up too much liability. And they are in fact good, as confirmed in this thread. But why would a HUGE mega-label release such a small amount w\o packaging? Modern music conglomerates could care less about 1000 or so units of sale. I think it was a high level executive who happened to be a fan who made the call to release these "replacement stock". If that is the case I'd thank him for his judgement! A high level executive got involved in a personal way for Rick Wakeman's A&M old catalog. Read about it here:

http://www.rwcc.com/gorr_1403.asp

The whole release of this BluRay is a mystery for sure, but that doesn't matter. Many more people here(including myself) who couldn't afford the box set can now enjoy this wonderful album in hirez 5.1 :smokin

extreme thanks to martin for the original heads-up. :) :) :)

Back