DVD/DTS Poll Yazoo (Yaz U.S.) - You And Me Both [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Yazoo - YOU AND ME BOTH

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations (y)(n)

Attachments

• you and me.JPG
    you and me.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
This is a near-perfect 5.1 for the '80s IF there had been 5.1 back then. And the near-perfect 'i-still-luv-u-but-it's-over' motif of the album holds up.

ED

The surround mixes on both this and "upstairs at erics" are a delight. For anyone who may have prowled the dance clubs in the early 80's this will bring back some great memories; other will still find plenty to enjoy. With the utter lack of surround releases this year, it's nice to report this box set is an overall winner.

It is a tad pricey, but i was able to snag it from amazon for $52; which includes remastered redbook cds of each, as well a bonus cd of remixes and b-sides (some fun remixes there, too bad none were included on the surround disc). There's also a film similar in execution to the ones on the Depeche Mode releases.

Not only are the mixes playful and creative--and in 5.1, even more spare and perversely antiseptic in tone than the stereo was. Also, squeaky clean, although not in any negative way. The sound fits the era, but I suspect it plays so well for me--always did--because of Alison Moyet's dusky, soulful vocals, which offset Mr. Clarke's truly synthetic synths. I've never tired of this album, thought it one of the very best of 1983.

ED :)

The Mute label keeps on doing things right (bodes well for the upcoming Nick Cave re-issues). A minor quibble thought - would have been nice to have the 5.1 mix included as SACD as they did with all the Depeche Mode reissues.
The surround mix is great - immersive and tight. Watching the included documentary, it had never occurred to me how most of the songs are "break-up" songs per se which makes sense considering the band was done by the time this came out.
Highly recommended!
/\/\

I used to be an "Alf" fan back in the day, but after splurging for these sets (and boy, did I wince at the checkout at £45 per set) I was so disappointed it is not funny.
It just does not stand up for me, and IMHO is a remix too far. Almost Mute's Bridge at Remagen.
The Depeche Mode series showed how well it can be done - and this did not live up to either memory or expectation.

Well...what, in your opinion, shoulda been done differently, Neil? The mix worked for me....

That's fair enough, and it would be a dreadfully boring world of we all liked the same stuff.
What would I do differently? To be brutally blunt, I wouldn't have bothered at all now that I have heard this one. I just don't think that there is enough going on in the music to justify a 5.1 mix, as it is too sameish to work well. This is all hindsight though, and I doubt anyone could do a better job given the source material's obvious limitations.
Sorry, it just doesn't work in 5.1 for me at all.
And I did so much want it to.:(

...and yet it IS a most discrete mix, is it not? Minimalist, of course--just Alf's voice(s), Vince's synth work, and whatever Linn drums were used (or whatever passed of percussion). But having really dug YOU + ME a lot, my take is that it is simply a deftly expanded version, and while it may have a certain sameness about its mix, doesn't the music anyway? It's a series of pop tone poems for its time, after all. But like anything, if the music doesn't do something for you, a 5.1 mix isn't necessarily going to improve that situation.

But as you say, not much more could have been done to make the mix better...although what some find limitations, others might consider part of the magic of the music....:)

Recently got a chance to hear the 5.1 DTS and I'm suitably impressed. Given the minimal number of instruments and straightforward vocals, the surround is quite discrete. This is pure 80s synth dance pop, so if that doesn't ring your bell might be better to avoid. I rate it a solid 'eight.'

Yeah I just became aware of these too. Looks like finding one for anything less than an appendage or two will be a challenge.

The search begins!

Indeed it does, I doubt I'll part with said appendage for the set but I would love to hear both of the 5.1 mixes, I've got the original CD's somewhere! Maybe there are a couple of folks on here who have copies gathering dust that they would part with, it's not everyone's cup of tea, fingers crossed!

Another one of my oversites.... :rolleyes:
Fancy not giving this my attention in the polls.

This combo of Alison Moyet and Vince Clarke was fairly short lived.
But they sure did set the music world alight with catchy riffs and fantastic singing.
Vince also found fame with Depeche Mode and then Erasure.
Alison had a successful solo career with her unique voice.

Two strong characters who collided over the direction of Yazoo.

But look what they left us with!!

A hitastic 10

Last edited:
I don't know any of those songs, but I would for sure shunned any music sounding remotely similar to this back in that time period. I was a hard core rock and roll man. I'm a bit more appreciative of this sort of music now, but in general, still don't like enough to buy it. But, I can see how a surround mix of this would be a lot of fun.

Back