HiRez Poll Yello - POINT [Blu-ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Yello - POINT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I don't have a Dolby Atmos amp/system, so this is based on a 5.1-system,- but WOW!
I recently finalized my system to be 5.1, and by coincidense, this was my first record to put on, I had almost forgotten having it,- the only bad thing about it, is that anything else sounds mediocre to this now.. :(

I scored it a 9 overall. While the Atmos mix is absolutely reference class (And since purchasing it, I pull this disc out to show off my theater for every new visitor), Point wasn't Boris & Dieter's best work musically in their 3+ decade collaborative career. Strictly from a musical stand point, I would award this album a 7 or 8.

I think this album is for Dolby Atmos what Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon was for stereo and quad at the time. I feel zero urge to skip tracks (other than to repeat the current track because they sound so awesome in Atmos). It's a great album that is PERFECT for Atmos. I've listened to this album like 20 times already in my theater room and 5 times on my Carver Ribbon system in 4.1 (it sounds awesome in Quad too!)
I agree with everyone's praise of this album, to me it's perfect for this format!
It's quite interesting seeing the reviews, I remember the situating being similar when Baby was released, and it found it's way into every high end HiFi shop in the mid-nineties, with the same happening with their Greatest hits album Essential too, when it came out after Baby.
In a massive Pink Floyd fan, but I'm leaning to think they (Yello) are even slightly more perfectly suited for surround sound.

In a massive Pink Floyd fan, but I'm leaning to think they (Yello) are even slightly more perfectly suited for surround sound.
I think it was more about the mixing than the music. The Atmos mix of DSOTM is a big improvement over the 5.1, but there's just something about the discrete sound mixing of Point that make it maybe the current ultimate demo quality Atmos recording.

I just listened to this for the first time and was really impressed with the mix, tremendous low bass and the overall fidelity. The mix really opened up the room.

I’m not typically into this type music, but it is super well suited for surround. It was a fun listen and was thoroughly engaging. There was more musical variety than I had anticipated.

It’s noteworthy that after I finished listening to the entire album, I switched to a different album that is typically my preferred genre and was quickly disappointed. I quickly put Yello back on.

My system is 5.2 so I can’t comment on the Atmos mix. Based on the comments I’ve read about that mix, this will likely be one of the first discs that I’ll play if I ever move up to Atmos or just add 2 more floor channels for 7.2.

Some have commented that it was a bit expensive for a single disc, but I was glad that it wasn’t locked up in one of those bloated deluxe packages. I paid $33 for it which is perhaps high versus a DV release (anything would be) and slightly higher than the recent Quadio Blu-rays. It's cheaper than SDE. Those are running me about $40 after shipping costs to the U.S.

I give it a 10 for the mix, 10 for fidelity, 9 for content, 9 for overall value and package. So it’s a 10 overall for me.

It is a fun album, with the music well suited to the extreme mix in Atmos. However, not sure that this zany mix will work for other albums like DSOTM. Not into electronic music, but it got a 10 for a being an Atmos standout.

Back