HiRez Poll Yello - POINT [Blu-ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Yello - POINT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Just got mine today. I'm only 3 songs in and I can tell it's definitely a 10!
The mix is so immersive
There's no front/rear/left/right type separation as a traditional 5.1
This mix utilizes each speaker as its own entity. You are in the middle of a fun listen

Get this one! It's absolutely worth the price of admission

Last edited:
Just got mine today. I'm only 3 songs in and I can tell it's definitely a 10!
The mix is so immersive
There's no front/rear/left separation as a traditional 5.1
This mix utilizes each speaker as its own entity. You are in the middle of a fun listen

Get this one! It's absolutely worth the price of admission
"This mix utilizes each speaker as its own entity."

I had the same response listening to Max Cooper's "Emergence." Looking forward to this one arriving from the UK in the next week, month, year, whatever.

Nothing in their catalog reaches the highs of "Flag". It's my favorite Yello album
Ah - I thought so too. Until I heard this blu-ray audio of Point. But if The Race was mixed in Dolby Atmos, I would probably think I'd died and gone to heaven.

I haven't heard all the material from either group, but while I liked 3-D by Kraftwerk in Atmos, I'd have to say Yello's album Point is definitely the better of those two in particular. But then that's just my opinion. Music is highly subjective.

I’m rating this Dolby Atmos disc a 10. The mix is excellent and one of, if not, the best Atmos mixes I have.

This is the type of music that I feel is great to show off Atmos. When I first played this album when I used to subscribe to a music streaming service, I did not like it as much as Yello’s last album, Toy. After playing the 12 songs plus the 3 bonus tracks on this disc in surround, I think it’s just as good. I have most, if not all (I’ll have to check), of Yello’s albums. Although, I do have my favorite, I’ve never heard a bad Yello release. I would definitely purchase all the albums in Dolby Atmos if they decide to release them. A big, big thank you to all involved with this release. :bowing:

Last edited by a moderator:
As nearly everyone has remarked, the Atmos mix on Point is one of the absolute best I have heard - an easy 10 for the mix regardless of what you may think of the music. With Point I currently I have 10 Atmos releases on disc (Beatles AR, Rhapsody - Prometheus, Schiller - Morgenstund, Booka Shade - both recent titles, Kraftwerk 3-D, Metallica - TTN 3D, KC ITCTCK -1969 box, and TFB). All of these are very good, but so far the Booka Shade titles and Point are at the top of the list and are most demo worthy for my 7.2.4 speaker setup. Opinions on music will always differ, but even though Yello is not my favorite type of music I find that the aggressive Atmos mix enhances the wow and fun factor enormously, on every track, far beyond what you might expect if you are not a fan. Highly recommended.

About what level (relative to 0dB Dolby Reference calibration) do you guys play Yello's Point at typically? I just recalibrated the levels (after having played endlessly with various overhead and surround levels, etc. over time) and now find -3dB sounds about right with 0dB not being too high to use. I hope it's just the album levels and I'm not going deaf. :D

Last edited:
Electronica isn’t my normal cup of tea, but even in mere 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, this is a sonic fest deluxe! Some of the low end excursions literally cause my clothes to vibrate and shake.

Question - does Big Boy’s Blues sound lower in volume than the other 12 songs to anyone else? Really seems to be the case to my ear, but I figured I’d check with others.

I’m voting a 9 upgradeable to a 10 if and when I go Atmos.

Electronica isn’t my normal cup of tea, but even in mere 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, this is a sonic fest deluxe! Some of the low end excursions literally cause my clothes to vibrate and shake.

Question - does Big Boy’s Blues sound lower in volume than the other 12 songs to anyone else? Really seems to be the case to my ear, but I figured I’d check with others.

I’m voting a 9 upgradeable to a 10 if and when I go Atmos.

Yes, Big Boy's Blues seems a good 2-4dB lower in average volume to me too. I regularly turn that one up since it's probably my favorite tracks (that one almost machine-like sound 2/3 the way through flies straight over my head from the center channel speaker into the back of the room. It's freaky (it's in the lower ear level speakers even in Atmos; it's not a ceiling sound). There are lots of other sounds on the ceiling, though you'll find if you go Atmos.

It also improves just going to 7.1 from 5.1 even as the album extensively uses the rear speakers (even more than the sides, IMO) as do the Booka Shade albums (they were mixed by the same team). A lot of people complain that movies rarely used the rear speakers in 7.1 setups and even Atmos doesn't use them that much, but these albums use them almost as much as the front speakers. My room is 24' long and over 20' of that is used for bed/ear level imaging AND ceiling imaging (heights plus top middle) so the album sounds absolutely huge. Many Atmos movies just repeat side data to the rears and essentially sound like 5.1.4 even with 7.1.4 or more. Back To The Future is like that, for example. I don't know what the aversion is in the industry to rear speakers doing discrete things. They get folded into the side surrounds in 5.1.x systems regardless so why not make use of them if they're available? It beats me.

30% SURROUND MIX -10. What's not to love?
30% AUDIO FIDELITY - 9. 10's are generally reserved for albums where the re-mastered hi-rez version is clearly better than the original album. That said, the disc sounds great.
30% CONTENT - 9. Electronica is not something I ever listen to in 2 channel. In surround, I find myself listening to it quite a bit as the genre lends itself nicely to the format and is very entertaining. The content only gets rated against other electronica albums I own (otherwise it would score quite low). Bonus points awarded for not being non-stop electronic music all the time, some very interesting moments.
10% OVERALL PACKAGE - 7. $40 bucks for a stand-alone disc in a CD case?

That rounds to a 9

Superb disc, fantastic Atmos mix. Those deep bass sounds in 'Siren singing' take you to space, just to mention one detail. Heights are used to their full effect throughout the album.

I hope this is the future for mixing in many other genres too. Randomly, I just imagined what Around the World in a Day by Prince would sound like mixed this way. In my mind, it works :D Impossible now, of course, but such possibilities with albums to come!

In terms of production and mixing, this is a sure 10. The music is fun and interesting, but not a 10 for me. Rounding off, it's still a 10 for me however 😆 because of the significance of this album in terms of pushing things forward.

Just got my BD disc with Atmos. This is near the best use of Atmos I've had the chance to hear.
The whole surround mix is very well done, fidelity is great, bass has my dual SVS SB2000 trying to shake the house down. I'm not the biggest fan of electronic music but I've been really enjoying this album, now the Atmos mix has made it even better.
I give it a 10+

Just bought last copy from pure audio site today-yes folks it was limited edition. Having listened to this exclusively on streaming services I am keen to hear the bonus tracks and find out for myself whether you really can tell the difference in fidelity with physical media. (Personally I am not convinced as once something purchased there is 'loss aversion bias', and for many there is 'confirmation bias'- that is, people are convinced you can tell the difference prior to listening.)

My thoughts echo prior sentiments already mentioned:
* Demo for Atmos.
* Clean bass used to great effect.
* Such a fun album to listen to- I always find it a treat to come back to and I have probably listened to it at least 10 times.
* Choice of instrumentation really adds value to the content.
* It's gunna be really $$$ in a few years time, and will add further value to my already $10K surround collection.
* No dud track on the album (well at least the core tracks as I have never heard the bonus material).
* In terms of mix I could not suggest an improvement as I think they have nailed the effects to match the content (I don't describe to the theory that it is 'gimmicky')

Deserves to be at the top of the surround poll again as I truly believe it is better than some others in the top 5. Easy 10 vote.

Just bought last copy from pure audio site today-yes folks it was limited edition. Having listened to this exclusively on streaming services I am keen to hear the bonus tracks and find out for myself whether you really can tell the difference in fidelity with physical media. (Personally I am not convinced as once something purchased there is 'loss aversion bias', and for many there is 'confirmation bias'- that is, people are convinced you can tell the difference prior to listening.)

My thoughts echo prior sentiments already mentioned:
* Demo for Atmos.
* Clean bass used to great effect.
* Such a fun album to listen to- I always find it a treat to come back to and I have probably listened to it at least 10 times.
* Choice of instrumentation really adds value to the content.
* It's gunna be really $$$ in a few years time, and will add further value to my already $10K surround collection.
* No dud track on the album (well at least the core tracks as I have never heard the bonus material).
* In terms of mix I could not suggest an improvement as I think they have nailed the effects to match the content (I don't describe to the theory that it is 'gimmicky')

Deserves to be at the top of the surround poll again as I truly believe it is better than some others in the top 5. Easy 10 vote.
And the bonus tracks are every bit as good as the core tracks. Actually, I think the bonus tracks Insane and Meet My Angel are among the best on the album - Insane is the demo track I use to blow unsuspecting visitors' minds.

In terms of mix I could not suggest an improvement as I think they have nailed the effects to match the content (I don't describe to the theory that it is 'gimmicky')
Amen,
The immersive fully active surround field is a performers/engineers art all of it's own. For modern music it makes plain stereo or ambience-only sound boring and missing in the "fun to listen to/participate in" aspect of todays multich recordings. 4/5/7.1 got us most of the way there with Atmos/Auro now putting the 3D icing on the cake. I just wish I could get all audiophiles to sit down and experience a couple albums like this. No it's not "gimmicky", it's a whole new perspective on music reproduction and it's design is a "musical art" of it's own.
JMHO

The term "gimmick" is the absolute laziest opinion of mixes, I have heard from so called "audiophiles". The worse is when it's used as a fact like frequency response and/or dynamic range. When used as a general term to describe all multichannel mixes makes me sad for that particular individual.

Back