Yes - Close to the Edge 5.1 DVD-A/BluRay in October

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snoopy_happy_dance.jpg

There really will be an OKTOBERFEST this year with "Close to the Edge", "Benefit", & "The Road to RED" all being released that month.
Man... I'm gonna have to get a couple extra gigs to pay for all this!

Speaking of Relayer and Going For The One, does anyone have a recommendation for best vinyl pressing?

Why? Of the 3 high resolution formats that (DVDA) would be my last choice.

DVDA is one of the 2 formats for lossless high res surround and it's been around the longest and has the most convenient ripping app available. Hard to complain about blu-ray but ripping the individual tracks to flac files is not as convenient yet. I suppose with MKV files you get all the menus and so on and these are easy to rip to but still.

Why? Of the 3 high resolution formats that would be my last choice.

I don't think you would be saying that if you had 5.1 in the car as well. I wouldn't have dreamed of being able to listen to 5.1 at home as well as in the car but after getting an Acura(6 months ago) I am totally sold on DVDA, it is the best format, unless bluray or some other format is available in the car as well. So for now Dvda is the best and cheapest to reproduce as well so its win/win for everyone as anyone that has a home theater setup can play a dvda disk as the dts layer can be read by all dvd/bluray players and if you have a Oppo it will do Dvda. The fact you get a cd to boot it's a total win.

Here's a comment from Sid Smith posted on the Progressive Ears forum in regards to a poster who claimed that some of the multitracks were missing:

"Hi there Jubal - your well regarded authorities were wrong. All the mulitracks were there, intact and are the basis of this release."

So no upmixing anywhere on this. Another reason to go woo-hoo!

J. D.

Honestly, for those people discussing whether it should be DVD-A or Blu-Ray, I think it should be released on both formats!
But I would personally buy Blu-Ray over DVD-A if I had the option. :)

AND on a separate note, apparently someone decided to ban me from the SH forum for "spam".
Bullshit! Since when is talking up this new release "spam"?!
Guess SH and his crew aren't digging the competition with this new release...
Oh well, let the discussion continue here! :51banana:

AND on a separate note, apparently someone decided to ban me from the SH forum for "spam".
Bullshit! Since when is talking up this new release "spam"?!
Guess SH and his crew aren't digging the competition with this new release...
So, were you known as rtsurroundfan on the SH forum? I'd guess this quote here was your final post?

Well at least they had the courtesy to ban you properly. With me, they simply redirected me elsewhere every time I attempted to log in, to some non-existing site.

Attachments

• his_last_post.jpg
    his_last_post.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 305
DVD-A is terrific as Peter states at home and in the car. No SACD coloration. Blu Ray fine, make me extract a DVD-A from it. DVD-A best fit all around thank you.

So, were you known as rtsurroundfan on the SH forum? I'd guess this quote here was your final post?

Well at least they had the courtesy to ban you properly. With me, they simply redirected me elsewhere every time I attempted to log in, to some non-existing site.

Yeah in hindsight, maybe I should have rephrased that statement knowing where I was posting...
But I definitely stand by what I said.
With the original mix in high-res on this new release, plus new stereo & 5.1 mixes, and bonus material, it will be the definitive CTTE release.
I'm sure some people aren't happy that they bought the SACD and/or HDTracks version, not knowing this was coming, but I'm glad this forum is really excited about it and on board to support it, as it deserves every cent it will get!
We certainly have an amazing team with Steven Wilson & Neil Wilkes! :D

Yeah in hindsight, maybe I should have rephrased that statement knowing where I was posting...
But I definitely stand by what I said.

While they do have a basic "thou shalt not criticize the host" rule I think in this case a ban was a little harsh. Sure, maybe your point could have been worded better but surely a simple "hey, careful there dude" warning would have been more appropriate.

Now that this release is being talked about, I hope they can open up about any other ones they may have plans for, of course without making promises that can't be kept (like with the XTC ones - if we can find the tapes we want to do them!). I think more than a few people may shy away from the Going for the One SACD if they think (or know) a 5.1 hi-res package is in the works.

Here's a comment from Sid Smith posted on the Progressive Ears forum in regards to a poster who claimed that some of the multitracks were missing:

"Hi there Jubal - your well regarded authorities were wrong. All the mulitracks were there, intact and are the basis of this release."

So no upmixing anywhere on this. Another reason to go woo-hoo!

J. D.

Thank you for real confirmation of this :)

I'd already said this some time ago on here, though and my suspicions were confirmed more recently when CTTE multitracks started appearing on that "Jammit" remix app. "The multi's can't be missing if they have individual stems available on that!" I thought and I was right!

The same about The Who's "Who's Next" album.. the multitracks aren't missing at all.. we just get constantly fed a load of BS and lies when the artists can't be bothered (or don't care for/about surround) or the labels don't want to pay for a remix..!!!!!

.. we just get constantly fed a load of BS and lies when the artists can't be bothered (or don't care for/about surround)

It's just like when your car keys are missing. They're lost until you look hard enough and then you find them! (...at least that's what my wife's always telling me!) ;)

Why? Of the 3 high resolution formats that would be my last choice.

DVD-A is the most flexible format that's faithful to its source.

SA-CD is not identical, it's futzed with. I still love it but if we're aiming for perfection we ideally want a carbon copy not an impression.

BD-A has the capability to far outstrip DVD-A with capacity etc but look at it this way - I can play any DVD-A I own in surround on sixteen different players & machines dotted around my house (to a bare minimum of DD/core DTS.. that's laptops, PCs, game consoles, TV-boxes with DVD-recorders, quite apart from DVD players & BDP's.. and several also do Adv Res DVD-A) whereas for BD-A that number goes down to six and for surround SA-CD that dips to just two (would have been 3 but the old SA-CD capable PS3 went to hi-fi heaven..). how's that for options!?

as has been said loads of times before a CD + DVD-A package covers all bases, or you can just buy a cheap old CD alongside the DVD-A.. you can guarantee a decent CD mastering that way if you do your homework.. what's the point of SA-CD Hybrids if the CD layer on them is from a horribly brickwalled source as the great great majority of them are..!?

Back