Yes - Close To The Edge - Any Good Obtainable Releases?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B&W Driver

I was wondering which non-LP stereo version/release of Close To The Edge is preferred by the folks here on the QQF?

There are an awful lot of releases of this album out there. Some are unobtainium, but there may be others that can still be had, so the question stands...

Last edited:
Thank you for the recommendation, folks, but they all seem to be the [very expensive] multichannel releases.

Any recommendation for good stereo releases?

Thank you for the recommendation, folks, but they all seem to be the [very expensive] multichannel releases.

Audio Fidelity (AFZ 147) SACD. There are some HDCD releases from Japan and an MQA release as well, I can't vouch for any of those though. Check Discogs.

The bluray has a flat transfer of the original mix master in 24/96. Cleanest most original copy of the mix possible to have. Then you get a needle drop of the original vinyl release as well as copies of those awful poorly edited radio scratch mix singles from back in the day. And of course the new SW surround mix - whatever you might think of that.

The worst copy I've ever heard was from a SACD discography. Brutally distorted.

I’ve got the original CD (surprised to see some think it’s the best version) and the Audio Fidelity.
Don’t think much of either version.
Not really a fan of the album in the first place so I skipped the BRD.
Maybe I need to give it another chance.
If it gets repressed on BRD I’ll probably buy it to compare.

The majority of music releases are limited editions these days. If you are interested in getting something it is advisable to order it when it is first available. I see a lot of people regretting not getting some of the Jethro Tull box sets for example.

If dynamic range is important to you (which it should be), you could consult the DR database for a guide. See here (just scroll drown the page):
Album list - Dynamic Range Database
This is good advice, but I like hearing from folks just the same. I see that the DR Database has the Steven Wilson remix releases right at the top of the heap...but, as some have mentioned herein, a few of the redbook releases from the 80s have fared quite well, too.

This is good advice, but I like hearing from folks just the same. I see that the DR Database has the Steven Wilson remix releases right at the top of the heap...but, as some have mentioned herein, a few of the redbook releases from the 80s have fared quite well, too.
In the eighties we were promised greater dynamic range with CDs, It seams that that promise was long forgotten as newer releases kept getting compressed more and more. Sadly that compression can be found even on new Blu-ray releases, especially on the stereo tracks. :(

The bluray has a flat transfer of the original mix master in 24/96. Cleanest most original copy of the mix possible to have. Then you get a needle drop of the original vinyl release as well as copies of those awful poorly edited radio scratch mix singles from back in the day. And of course the new SW surround mix - whatever you might think of that.

The worst copy I've ever heard was from a SACD discography. Brutally distorted.

The flat transfer on the SW edition isn't great IIRC.

The worst are indeed the Japanese HDCD and SACD versions. Brutally compressed with treble pushed beyond the limit.

Last edited:
I'd say the flat transfer shows what any of the mastering engineers had to work with along the way and what they did with it. Maybe there's a tape degradation variable in there too? I'd guess it's intentional mastering moves behind what you hear. For good or bad. The SACD being an example of very bad. And unique volume levels across all of them.

Turn the volume up on the flat transfer. You can think of it as the source for any of the rest of them. Unless the argument is they screwed it all up and older copies preserve more (mastered and generational as they are).

Back