HiRez Poll Yes - CLOSE TO THE EDGE [DVD-AUDIO/BLU-RAY]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of YES - CLOSE TO THE EDGE

• Total voters
Yup, that's part of it . But I find it hard to understand why someone holding such an opinion would give it a '9' , because....

...'how it all gels together' seems pretty crucial to me.

It's interesting that SW got The Yes Album right with nary a misstep. It still has the sound and feel of the original -- it gels together. It was a simpler recording, and I wonder if that played a part.

It is my opinion that some light, tasteful mastering (done by me of course ;) ) would help the SW stereo remixes that don't quite gel together...

They have their use (not everybody only listens to music in surround...) and I think most of them are fantastic.

The vast majority of my music collection is and I'm sure will always be 2.0...I find it useful indeed.

These particular 2.0 remixes, not so much...

I was revisiting this seminal album after deliberating after many a listen, and of course this left me with a grin in my face... doesn't matter how many times you listen to this, it's like a great movie, you will always find something new...not only is the musical aspect otherwordly but the surround mix is exquisite and a perfect extension of the stereo mix intention, SW really outdid himself here...
WE ARE SO FREAKIN LUCKY.. another pipe dream come true..
CAN I HEAR AN "AMEN", BROTHERS AND SISTERS????

I was revisiting this seminal album after deliberating after many a listen, and of course this left me with a grin in my face... doesn't matter how many times you listen to this, it's like a great movie, you will always find something new...not only is the musical aspect otherwordly but the surround mix is exquisite and a perfect extension of the stereo mix intention, SW really outdid himself here...

Amen, I'm going to listen next after Queen.

What "Dark Side of the Moon" is to Pink Floyd, and what "Thick as a Brick" is to Jethro Tull, is what CTTE is to Yes.
It's great to have these three all in surround in such wonderful quality. Life is good for the quad and surround classic rock fan.

Amen !!!

I was never much of a Yes devotee in my early years. They were kind of soft. We did listen to the original vinyl of Yessongs quite a bit. The mix was rough. You could hear the individual instruments and of course the guitar really rocked.
I bought the DVD audio version. Not a big fan of Blu-ray if I have a choice. Gave this a serious listen today. Skimmed through the many "passionate" old reviews.
Many complaints about being bass shy.
I compared the MLP to the DTS. The DTS did have more bass but I found it "flabby". The DTS also wasn't as clear or defined.
While playing the MLP I simply used the tone control to boost the bass +3db. This gave a nice "Squire" punch to the already fantastic mix.
All the instruments & vocals stand out and that's how I like it. The dynamic range is 13 and I can tell. The recording makes full use of quiet and soft.
You can crank this without ear fatigue or distortion.
The church organ solo on CTTE is mind-blowing.
Steve Wilson must have put alot of time and love into making this gem.
I bought this about a year ago but passed it by thinking it was another disc that I don't like and won't be bothered with.
Amazing how outlook can change when you slow down a little and appreciate what you have...

Sorry to do SW like this, but 7. Doesn't matter how much I goof with my channel levels db-wise or turn the sub up and down or position myself and my speakers differently, something isn't quite on. It's painfully static, there's that! Do the lead and backing vocals *ever* move from their spots on the title track? It seems like almost every instrument has a predetermined place it has to be, with some relief when Bruford's drums roll across the front and such. It's really tame and the placement is kind of standard. There is something wrong with Bruford's drum sound too methinks...

Oh, and this 5.1 is a little bass-shy, which is funny because versus my LP the SW stereo emphasizes bass a lot more! The stereo and indeed the 5.1 make good tweaks - the *On the hill we view the silence of the valley* bit has much less reverb now and I think it hits harder. But I guess, the 5.1 image is too stayed and plain for my tastes, when SW's own Fragile is more dynamic and fun. Also, the piano notes near the end of Seasons of Man get a little buried which is sad. This stuff all sounds fine in both stereo mixes on my system so, dunno. And You And I is better, and Siberian Khatru is better too, but he blew it on the title track which is the best Yes tune. This is probably the least-good surround mix I've heard that's still good.

It's Steven's usual bang-up job, so I gave it a 9, but there is one weird anomaly in my blu ray. When you play the first track, "Close to the Edge," it starts after the two-minute mark and there's no sound. You have to skip to the second track, "And You and I," play it for a second, and then skip back to "Close to the Edge" for it to start at the beginning of the album. Weird, huh?

It's Steven's usual bang-up job, so I gave it a 9, but there is one weird anomaly in my blu ray. When you play the first track, "Close to the Edge," it starts after the two-minute mark and there's no sound. You have to skip to the second track, "And You and I," play it for a second, and then skip back to "Close to the Edge" for it to start at the beginning of the album. Weird, huh?

i don't have that problem on mine, it plays normally

Back