HiRez Poll Yes - CLOSE TO THE EDGE [DVD-AUDIO/BLU-RAY]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of YES - CLOSE TO THE EDGE

• Total voters
It is absolutely pretty dang good, at minimum! It's really just a question if it being a little different than what I was expecting at first... but just like you said, it's all SO highly subjective... and jeez, for me it changes depending on the day. But that's really the fun of it all, at the end of the day. Despite my hairy eyebrow while listening the first time, I still think that when at home, it'll be my preferred way to listen (and I haven't voted on this (or any titles) yet as I'm still a noob, FWIW).

One thing I'm personally learning as I get into mutlichannel for the first time in my life, is that my pervious desire to just "set it and forget it" for my system, and then never again touching the EQ, speaker levels, etc., just doesn't really cut it across genres, let alone producers, production techniques, mastering, etc. That's kinda new for me but I'm finding it necessary for full, immersive enjoyment, and that's cool. Despite being a lifelong musician and hardcore music geek, I've never really had a decent system or dedicated listening room before, so I'm in heavy learning mode right now.

For example, yesterday I finally snagged a copy of Nat King Cole's "Love Is The Thing" on SACD, with the 3 channel mix. I was so completely distracted (and bummed out) by the thumping that was being produced by the mic popping that I was like "this can NOT be correct, what the heck? I'm not experiencing this with any other recording?" After some futzing and Steve Hoffman actually recommending I turn off the sub, because it's not necessary for recordings like that... holy moly, it became sublime and a demo-quality recording for me. Live n' learn...

Last edited:
I remember hearing Yes' Close to the Edge in a college dorm room--my mind exploded. I have loved this album for so long, that I hate to say this, the DTS HD 5.1 on DVD audio was a huge disappointment to me. The high end was so bright that it overcame everything else. Although the experience was new, I felt my ears were being assulted with 1000 million cuts. After the first track, I switched to the MLP 5.1 version--which saved the day. Sadly, this might be my least favorite QUAD disc.

I remember hearing Yes' Close to the Edge in a college dorm room--my mind exploded. I have loved this album for so long, that I hate to say this, the DTS HD 5.1 on DVD audio was a huge disappointment to me. The high end was so bright that it overcame everything else. Although the experience was new, I felt my ears were being assulted with 1000 million cuts. After the first track, I switched to the MLP 5.1 version--which saved the day. Sadly, this might be my least favorite QUAD disc.
there should be literally no EQ difference in the 'high end' between the two. They are both lossless.

It's also not a quad disc, it's got six active channels.

there should be literally no EQ difference in the 'high end' between the two. They are both lossless.

It's also not a quad disc, it's got six active channels.
Thank you for your support. I stand corrected and greatly appreciate you. Today I learned that you cannot use the word "QUAD" for all surround experiences! 🤪 Also, you're welcome to stop by for tea and have a listen. Maybe you could tell me what happened. =)

I can guess what happened. You saw the letters 'DTS' and subconsciously felt it must be inferior to 'MLP'. When in fact, the two audio signals here must be identical. Unless something is broken.
It's a mystery to me. I admit my preferred bias for DTS, but I'm open to the idea that there is something better--like Atmos. I just looked at the disc again. It's Blu Ray and a clean disc. However, something is definately wrong with the DTS track. My other discs sound fine. :unsure:

Back