HiRez Poll Yes - FRAGILE (2002 Mix) [DVD-A]/[SACD-JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Yes - FRAGILE (2002 Mix)

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Post your thoughts and comments on the 2002 5.1 Mix of this classic album, originally issued by WB/Rhino as a DVD-A, and subsequently released in Japan as an SACD in August 2011.

This thread should not include your impressions of the 2015 Steven Wilson remix. There is a seperate thread for that release, and you can find it HERE

I know some folks have given this one the yawn, but I really, really like it! It's not perfect, but it is a solid surround effort that fits the music quite well. I gave it an 8.

Coulda been a contendah! Pretty dull mix for such a great progressive record. The drums have a nice wack to them though. 6 cuz the mix p'd me off.

A 10 from me...I think the mix is really aggressive when it needs to be, and static when it should be. The resolution is amazing, specifically on the drums (even more specifically, during the intro to "Heart of the Sunrise').

This disc has gotten more people I know turned onto surround than any other.

I gave this a 10, though that might have something to do with the fact that I like this Yes line-up... :D I'm not actually that fussed over the surround mix -quite good, perhaps not as creative as it might have been, but the high-res stereo is superb. (I know, I know, I know, this is an MC site, but we can still appreciate what's good about 2 channel as well surely... :banana:)

6....starts out gangbusters, but too inconsistent....it's fun, but can't say much more beyond that. Glad they put it out though...now, where are some other Yes 5.1's?

ED:)

Four things I don't lik.e about the surround remix:

1) South Side of the Sky -- the remix is much inferior to the 2-track. What a shame.

2) a bit of reverb has been sprinkled over the whole album -- I prefer Offord's original 'dry'
aesthetic. (Compare the 2-channel 'Mood for a Day' to the surround mix.)

3) drums have been mixed further back than on the two-track -- why? You don't *bury* Bill Bruford in the mix, you *bring him up* if anything, fools.

4) "America" considerably louder than the rest of the disc -- why? (this is true on the two-channel layer too -- couldn't they simply have balanced the levels?)

Two things I like about the surround mixL:

1) Cans and Brahms is now actually listenable

2) 5% for Nothing is a hoot

The 2-track transfer is superb.

I give it a 6 overall.

This is an album that screamed for a multi-channel rerelease, now if we could only get "Close to the Edge" the world could be a perfect place !

A generous 5. Dated material with a muddy production. The songs are much too long. The only redeeming track is Roundabout.

Fragile, 'muddy'? Now I've heard everything. (Granted, it sounds to me like the remix engineers have added some reverb to 'moisten' the surround mix, but still...the original Eddie Offord stereo mix is pretty crisp!)

And there are only three long tracks on the album. Roundabout, the redeming track, is one of them. The remaining 5 solo tracks, and 'Long Distance Runaround' all clock in at 4 min or less...in the case of Bruford's track, *much* less. ;>

"America" is a bonus track recorded originally for the 'New Age of Atlantic" compilation album, after Fragile was released but before Close to the Edge.

I give it a solid 9...

I love the mix... reverb and all. And the inclusion of "America" is worth the price of the disc alone. I listen to it all the time.

Bob Romano said:
I give it a solid 9...

I love the mix... reverb and all. And the inclusion of "America" is worth the price of the disc alone. I listen to it all the time.
Same here
IMHO America is worth the price of the disc....................I love it :banana:

I gave it a 6. I love Yes, especially this album but it is VERY bright on my system (waaaaaaay brighter than GBYBR DVD-a) which knocks it down to a 6 from a 9 or 10.

ssully said:
Fragile, 'muddy'? Now I've heard everything. (Granted, it sounds to me like the remix engineers have added some reverb to 'moisten' the surround mix, but still...)

Hmmm. Perhaps I shouldn’t have listened to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Machine Head just prior to spinning Fragile. They’re all of the same era, but by comparison, the production of ‘Fragile’ just didn’t do it for me…

mcherdering said:
Hmmm. Perhaps I shouldn’t have listened to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Machine Head just prior to spinning Fragile. They’re all of the same era, but by comparison, the production of ‘Fragile’ just didn’t do it for me…

Well, of course, the *surround mix* is a modern production, as it is on all those discs...but if you mean the 2-channel mix, which is the original production...I don't get it.

ssully said:
Well, of course, the *surround mix* is a modern production, as it is on all those discs...but if you mean the 2-channel mix, which is the original production...I don't get it.

Didn't even listen to the 2 channel...

Boasting a superbly crisp and punchy original stereo mix it was certainly hard to top this. The changes of the arrangements (backing vocals) actually annoy me because the originals were sortof perfect. But nothing much to be complained about. 5% of nothing is a hoot.
The playing is truly superb, better than Dram Theatre!

Back