HiRez Poll Yes - FRAGILE (2015 Mix) [BluRay Audio/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of YES - FRAGILE (2015 Mix)

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• Total voters
Well i ended up picking up the dvda 2002/2003 version....couldnt find the poll for this one but i rate it a 7

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...s/yes-fragile-2002-mix-dvd-a-sacd-japan.3903/

Make sure you don't vote in this poll. It might sound like a cliche, but the difference between that old mix and the new one by SW is honestly night and day. Just look at the difference on "Roundabout":

Webp.net-gifmaker.gif

BTW, the 2015 Blu-Ray edition (which includes both 5.1 mixes) is still readily available and cheap.

Last edited:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...s/yes-fragile-2002-mix-dvd-a-sacd-japan.3903/

Make sure you don't vote in this poll. It might sound like a cliche, but the difference between that old mix and the new one by SW is honestly night and day. Just look at the difference on "Roundabout":

View attachment 38322

BTW, the 2015 Blu-Ray edition (which has both 5.1 mixes) is still readily available and cheap.

I didn't vote here just commented on it.
Probably wont pickup the new version anytime soon as my pockets r empty n theres too much other stuff i want n cant afford as heath n home issues will now have to take precedence over music n hardware

Revising my vote on this from a “9” to a “10”. My system is better “tuned” than it was a couple of years ago.

This is as close to a perfect surround re-issue as one could ask for. Classic album; tracks simply begging to be in surround; mix is perfect.

This may be one of Wilson’s finest achievements? That’s a big category though, eh?

I was already wow'ing this with the first few minutes of Roundabout. But added value...and I'm not sure I noticed any mention of this in prior posts - the 2002 DVD-A mix is on this 2015 Blu Ray...wayyyyyy at the bottom. Easy toggling between the two instead of swapping discs!! My only (and minimal fractional points off for this) disappointment...America is a bonus track on the DVD-A, but nowhere to be found on the 2015 Blu Ray mixes.
Fragile 2015 options .jpg

Last edited:
OMG! A rating of a 1? Seriously????????

One of those here today gone tomorrow sign ups, probably doesn't like prog and still thought voting 1 would make it better. I admit the early DVD-Audio release wasn't up to snuff but at the time of far and few releases I initially gave it a higher ranking than I would today. But this poll is for both, I'll only vote the Blu-Ray SW version, I rank as 9 with only the Yes Album earning a 10 vote from me.

Since there's a different poll for the 2002 DVD-Audio release maybe the dvd-A needs to be removed from this one to eliminate confusion. Even though it's 2015 mix in the title ......

Last edited:
I was already wow'ing this with the first few minutes of Roundabout. But added value...and I'm not sure I noticed any mention of this in prior posts - the 2002 DVD-A mix is on this 2015 Blu Ray...wayyyyyy at the bottom. Easy toggling between the two instead of swapping discs!! My only (and minimal fractional points off for this) disappointment...America is a bonus track on the DVD-A, but nowhere to be found on the 2015 Blu Ray mixes.
View attachment 44228
America is on the Blu-ray Disc but you have to go to the dvd-A menu and it’s on that mix. Mr Wilson didn’t remix a 2015 version and stick it on this disc.

Like the other discs in the Yes Blu-Ray series, Fragile didn't disappoint. I love the 5.1 remix and the sound quality. Also like the extras on the program such as the instrumental mixes, the 'works in progress' "All Fighters Past" & "Mood For Another Day" and the 5.1 mix from the DVD-A edition of the album (and IMHO, Wilson's mix is clearly superior). A 10!

Here is my 1 cent takeaway: I've had the DVD-A since it was released 17+ years ago. I loved it then and I still love it now. With that said I rated both "10."

1. The DVD-A still sounds brilliant, yes at times it's a bit bright, but I think Tim Weidner did a heckuva job with what he had back when DVD-A was in it's infancy and maturity all at the same time. I even found this review "This DVD-Audio version of Fragile is a stunning revisitation of these classic tracks...When a piece reaches the point of fullness, it gradually expands to the surrounds to create an airy, yet understated, effect...these high resolution mixes absolutely ruin your ability to listen to standard CDs...his is, at the present, the definitive release of Fragile, and the only way to fully enjoy it..." (https://web.archive.org/web/2009071...lbits.com/reviewsdvdasacd/yesfragiledvda.html). I can just imagine if the reviewer had a chance to revisit the DVD-A and the much newer SW mix on Blu Ray, what would he muse.

2. The Blu Ray...deserves 10+++ not only for the quality of the music, the 96/24 LPCM and 96/24 dts, but for the overall wealth of material here: Original and 2015 stereo mixes, additional tracks, exclusives, instrumentals, a "vinyl" transfer, and not only the 2015 SW 5.1 mix but also the ability to toggle to the 2002 Weidner mix!

11.27.2019 edit:
Did some unscientific A/B'ing of South Side of the Sky LPCM - 2002 vs. 2015 and I stand by my 10 for both overall as they are both unique in their own rights and deserve independent ratings. Both are similar but of course very different. The 2015 is a bit crisper and cleaner but seems to lack a touch of bass punchiness that the 2002 has. I do love the more aggressive surround nature of the 2015 version, however the 2002 mix has more of a lead up to the surrounds, with the music mainly in the front three. It feels to me that Steve Howe's guitar is more prominent in the 2002 version of this song.

Last edited:
Steven Wilson remix of America is on Close to the Edge

And unfortunately it's as bad as the earlier 5.1 mix, just in a different way. A proper remix of this track still hasn't been done.

Also, there are actually two versions of the original 2 channel mix. The first one, on 'The New Age of Atlantic' LP, is dry...very little reverb. Squire's bass sounds amazing, it's his quintessential Rick sound, caught at a perfect point between Fragile and Close to the Edge.

The later mix, on the 'Yesterdays' LP, the one that was ever after found on CDs etc, is very 'wet' in comparison, doused in reverb. The actual parts are identical, only the EQ/'verb are different (notably, Jon Anderson is quite 'muffled' on the older mix during the 'laughing on the bus' section')

Wilson (and the 2002 remixers) used the well-known 'wet' version as the standard for remixing. The 'flat transfer' of the original master on the CttE set is also 'wet'. Yet at an earlier point there was certainly a 'dry' master mix. Wonder where it went?

(It is perhaps notable that other tracks on Yesterdays also had more reverb than their original versions. Its been claimed that this was requested by Chris Squire, though I've never seen proof.)

Another thing: the 'flat transfer' of Fragile included on the Bluray set is quite drab. Some master tapes should not be transferred 'flat'. (Sometimes there are even instructions to that effect on the tape box)

Another thing: the 'flat transfer' of Fragile included on the Bluray set is quite drab. Some master tapes should not be transferred 'flat'. (Sometimes there are even instructions to that effect on the tape box)
When you say "flat" transfer, you are meaning nothing was done to the sound, adding or taking treble, mid, bass, etc?? Compression?

Back