HiRez Poll Yes - FRAGILE (2015 Mix) [BluRay Audio/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of YES - FRAGILE (2015 Mix)

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• Total voters
Thanks for clarifying, wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Listening to both the 2002 and 2015, I'd agree both are leaning towards "flat" sounding but I kinda like the fact that it wasn't messed with.

You're referring to the original stereo mixes included on both those releases? Because the 2002 version is far from 'flat'.

Last edited:
You're referring to the original stereo mixes included on both those releases? Because the 2002 version is far from 'flat'.

Another thing: the 'flat transfer' of Fragile included on the Bluray set is quite drab. Some master tapes should not be transferred 'flat'. (Sometimes there are even instructions to that effect on the tape box)

Then I misunderstood, I thought you were referring to the 5.1. When given choice between 5.1 and stereo, I rarely play the stereo. I took "flat" as a positive thing since I mentioned that I'd rather the overall sound not be messed with.

Only older stereo mixes are referred to as flat transfers in the credits of these releases. A new remix by definition can't be a 'flat transfer'.

Is this really true? I thought even a new remix needs to be mastered by someone and we have seen at least one case where SW was not happy with the mastering of his remix. In this case (can't remember which one it was right now) SW even supplied the "flat transfer" of his remix in a follow up release.

Is this really true? I thought even a new remix needs to be mastered by someone and we have seen at least one case where SW was not happy with the mastering of his remix. In this case (can't remember which one it was right now) SW even supplied the "flat transfer" of his remix in a follow up release.
It was the Thick As A Brick 5.1 mix. Somewhat tampered with by Peter Mew. SW was quite ropeable.

A remix can be presented "flat". It just means the mix (original or remix) didn't go through a mastering step. Most Steven Wilson remixes are released "flat".

However what they mean by "flat transfer" in the Yes/Jethro Tull sets (and others) is the original mix presented without any enhancements or alterations, to differentiate this presentation from all the masterings/remasterings that came before.

just realized I didn't vote even though I have had this since 2015

a 9 just because I really don't give anything a 10 because that's perfection and I'm not one to think that's realizable.

that being said a 9 is my highest score ever for any album/mix and this album and Steven Wilson remix deserve it.

Steven is an enigma because there are some of his mixes that are just too bright (and this suffers from this a little but not distracting), etc but when he's on, he's on, and really "gets' it". I would be honored to be his wing man any day.

Holy fuk this album/mix is so good. It's what I call a scary good in the dead of Winter mix that could be unbelievable at the Summer solstice given the drugs available but it's the cold of winter that makes this mix shine.

and if anyone doesn't get The Beatles homage at the end of Heart of the Sunrise well..

Last edited:
Here's a winner among the SW Yes albums. Very discrete mix, Roundabout is beautiful in surround, great stuff.

But does anyone else not have a cursor on this disc? I have the bluray and on three players(Sony BDP S350, Seiki BD660 and a PS3) I cannot see what I'm selecting in the menus. Why? This is terrible. I also have to press "disc menu" to get to the main menu else it remains on a black screen.

Incredible, a 10. I love it even more than Wilson's work on The Yes Album blu. Did any other prog band release three more perfect albums in a row than Yes did with The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge? Methinks not, though Crimson's Larks Tongues, Starless and Red come close.
Pink Floyd had Dark side of the moon, wish you were here and animals all in a row.

Incredible, a 10. I love it even more than Wilson's work on The Yes Album blu. Did any other prog band release three more perfect albums in a row than Yes did with The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge? Methinks not, though Crimson's Larks Tongues, Starless and Red come close.
Love those three. Interesting that another poster picked a different Rush grouping. I'd go with Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals as my #1 set. Wow, some major works of music. Worth throwing in Peter Gabriel's Security, So and Us, and all five albums by The Police (pick your 3). Would concur on Pink Floyd, but IMHO Animals kind of got in the way of Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall, but that is splitting hairs on 4 great albums. Honorable mentions: Jethro Tull and Genesis would come close with 2 in a row early on, then a whiff. But later Genesis actually gets a nod with Abacab, Genesis, Invisible Touch. Not really in the same league musically with Yes, Rush, The Police and Pink Floyd tho.

Love those three. Interesting that another poster picked a different Rush grouping. I'd go with Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals as my #1 set. Wow, some major works of music. Worth throwing in Peter Gabriel's Security, So and Us, and all five albums by The Police (pick your 3). Would concur on Pink Floyd, but IMHO Animals kind of got in the way of Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall, but that is splitting hairs on 4 great albums. Honorable mentions: Jethro Tull and Genesis would come close with 2 in a row early on, then a whiff. But later Genesis actually gets a nod with Abacab, Genesis, Invisible Touch. Not really in the same league musically with Yes, Rush, The Police and Pink Floyd tho.
Welcome back birrrdy!

Right, but we were talking about prog albums, not just great albums.

Back