HiRez Poll Yes - FRAGILE (2015 Mix) [BluRay Audio/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of YES - FRAGILE (2015 Mix)

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• Total voters
Had to give this one a ten. Awesome version of a recording I thought I was totally burned out on - having listened to it so much when it was released trying with limited success to learn Chris Squires bass lines.
This album was a really big hit back during its heyday. It was in most of my friends record collections - even some females, lol. It’s really pretty amazing that a record this complex managed to achieve so much success. I hate to sound like old guy that I am, but something like this would never have a chance to become popular in today’s world. It’s really a shame - I guess it has to do with a lack of attention span of the modern audience.

I'm preparing myself to have rocks thrown at me, but does anyone else hear Jon's vocals like he's at the other end of a long hallway? I've tried with and without room correction, with two difference Paradigm centers, and there's just a ton of reverb on his vocals that are pulling me out of immersion.

Also it just sounds relatively thin. Different engineer, different tastes, but this is one of the few times it open up the EQ options in software and boost the bass.

I've looked high and low to figure out if it's something wrong with my hardware or my rip...

I can't fully enjoy the 2002 mix either because Long Distance Runaround has all of Anderson's vocals on the right side of the room.

I'm preparing myself to have rocks thrown at me, but does anyone else hear Jon's vocals like he's at the other end of a long hallway? I've tried with and without room correction, with two difference Paradigm centers, and there's just a ton of reverb on his vocals that are pulling me out of immersion.

Also it just sounds relatively thin. Different engineer, different tastes, but this is one of the few times it open up the EQ options in software and boost the bass.

I've looked high and low to figure out if it's something wrong with my hardware or my rip...

I can't fully enjoy the 2002 mix either because Long Distance Runaround has all of Anderson's vocals on the right side of the room.
I turn up the center channel volume to get it balanced with the rest of the speakers. My center speaker is on a separate amp so it's easy to do. Misplaced Childhood is another one where the center needs turning up.

This review is for the CD/Blu-Ray edition.

MIX: 3. Especially in comparison to Tim Weidner's somewhat radical 5.1 remix from 2002, this 2015 mix is how I feel Fragile "should" sound in surround. Aside from "Mood For A Day," every track has plenty of important elements panned into the surrounds. Everything sounds to be in its right place.

FIDELITY: 3. As usual, Steven Wilson does a great job of recreating the tonality, balance, and character of the original stereo mix while expanding it to fill the surround field. It sounds like a major label recording from 1971, just cleaner. In my book, that's perfect.

CONTENT: 2. Fragile isn't my favorite Yes album—the five "solo" pieces drag it down, musically—but it's an undeniable classic. "Roundabout," "South Side of the Sky," "Long Distance Runaround," and "Heart of the Sunrise" are great tunes. Plus, the Blu-ray is packed full with bonus tracks and alternate listening experiences: the original stereo mix transferred flat, vinyl rips of original pressings of the album and singles, Steven Wilson instrumental mixes (stereo only, unfortunately), and the 2002 Tim Weidner 5.1 mix as originally released on Rhino DVD-A. It's all the Fragile I could want on one disc!

PACKAGING: 1. Hard to beat the convenience and value of a CD/Blu-ray set. I'd prefer a case that uses a tray-with-hub design to hold the discs, but I appreciate the vinyl replica sleeve, complete with reproduction original booklet.

TOTAL: 9

Back