Yes - List Your Top 5 albums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easy to rank, without much hesitation except between #1 and #2. I am also a lifelong diehard Yes fan.

1) Fragile. Fabric of my childhood and, like Tommy by The Who, changed how I listened to music. Stunning, dreamlike Roger Dean artwork breaks the tie with #2.

2) The Yes Album. Musically their most complete effort. Howe’s guitar on Yours Is No Disgrace exudes pure joy, only to be matched by Squire’s thundering bass on Starship Trooper. Wow, and Perpetual Change on the same album barely getting notice by comparison. Unreal.

3) 90125. For a band that had gotten lost in years of self indulgence and seemed dead in the water musically, Yes completely redefined themselves and what progressive rock was and could be. Total bravery by Squire and Anderson to pull this off, and also pull in and harness the young genius that was Trevor Rabin. (And even add some pop minimalism to the Yes sound,.. whaa?)

4) Big Generator. Most underrated album of Yes’s career. So much pressure following 90125, yet has so many moments of brilliance shining through and proving Rabin’s well ran deeper than many thought. Unabashed rock-out that is their best album played loud, the louder the better actually.

5) Classic Yes. Not ashamed to put a compilation here. So simple, and yet perfect in its execution. With perhaps Roger Dean’s best work on the cover, and an extra 45 in the vinyl version showing off their live chops, and the transcendent And You And I without having to trudge through an unfocused CTTE. Stands up to heavy repeat listening.

Honorable Mention: Yessongs. Simply an iconic live album that redefined what a live rock album could be and has few, if any, flaws.

Back