Yes - List Your Top 5 albums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There has to be some responsibility from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductions. The idea that Yes got inducted on 2017, 23 years (!?!) after they were eligible and Chris Squire died in 2015, 21 years after they were is a true shame. He literally was one of the best bass players in Rock & Roll history and never lived to know of the honor. We know Chris, we know! Thank you!!!
Chris.jpg

Close To The Edge
Fragile
The Yes Album
Tormato (yes, really)
Yesterdays

Hi all, this is my first-ever post here... figured this was as good an entry point as any. By the way, I had a really hard time choosing #5 above... could have easily been 90125 or Going For The One or Keys To Ascension or... But the tipping point was the presence of America on Yesterdays, one of my favorites (yeah, I know it's a bonus cut on several other CD / surround releases, but not sure that counts). Other favorite Yes cover songs are Something's Coming, Every Little Thing, and No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Required -- I think those should be added to a future Yesterdays reissue (in surround, of course, if the multitracks still exist to make that possible). I genuinely love Tormato by the way, and I can't understand why it gets so much hate.

Cheers!

Close To The Edge
Fragile
The Yes Album
Tormato (yes, really)
Yesterdays

Hi all, this is my first-ever post here... figured this was as good an entry point as any. By the way, I had a really hard time choosing #5 above... could have easily been 90125 or Going For The One or Keys To Ascension or... But the tipping point was the presence of America on Yesterdays, one of my favorites (yeah, I know it's a bonus cut on several other CD / surround releases, but not sure that counts). Other favorite Yes cover songs are Something's Coming, Every Little Thing, and No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Required -- I think those should be added to a future Yesterdays reissue (in surround, of course, if the multitracks still exist to make that possible). I genuinely love Tormato by the way, and I can't understand why it gets so much hate.

Cheers!
Tormato has it's moments. I always liked Onward. Circus of Heaven, not so much. Welcome to QQ!

There has to be some responsibility from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductions. The idea that Yes got inducted on 2017, 23 years (!?!) after they were eligible and Chris Squire died in 2015, 21 years after they were is a true shame. He literally was one of the best bass players in Rock & Roll history and never lived to know of the honor. We know Chris, we know! Thank you!!!
View attachment 52170

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a farce.

Tormato has it's moments. I always liked Onward. Circus of Heaven, not so much. Welcome to QQ!

I recently received the 1968 - 1987 Studio Albums CD boxset with all the extra tracks. I didn't own anythiing before The Yes Album or past GFTO. I'm pleasantly surprised - enjoying all the newer stuff. I'm a huge Steve Howe fan, and I prefer Jon Anderson's vocals but have to admit Drama is cool, heavier than expected. 90125 of course has their big commercial appeal that we are all too familiar with (especially if you grew up in the 80s). To be honest I'm loving it all. Now thinking about continuing to collect their material past 1987 and have just ordered Union.

IMG_4490.jpeg

Last edited:
I recently received the 1968 - 1987 Studio Albums CD boxset with all the extra tracks. I didn't own anythiing before The Yes Album or past GFTO. I'm pleasantly surprised - enjoying all the newer stuff. I'm a huge Steve Howe fan, and I prefer Jon Anderson's vocals but have to admit Drama is cool, heavier than expected. 90125 of course has their big commercial appeal that we are all too familiar with (especially if you grew up in the 80s). To be honest I'm loving it all. Now thinking about continuing to collect their material past 1987 and have just ordered Union.

View attachment 52990
Don´t forget Talk...and Fly From Here (I prefer Return Trip)

Hmm . . . Time and a Word was my first Yes album, but it took off after THE Yes album :rocks . My order:

1) CLOSE TO THE EDGE. Never equaled again, and Yes's loss to King Crimson (Bruford) was KC's gain.

2) THE YES ALBUM. Almost hit the mainstream (and for good reason) but that had to wait for --

3) FRAGILE. A near perfect album that went global with their biggest hit (guess).

4) TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS. Prog at it's height (and, according to some, what sunk it!).

5) TIME AND A WORD. Better than the first album. I'll admit to losing track after TFTO! I did enjoy "Owner of a Lonely Heart" when it came on the radio, but still have to think and google to know which album. RELAYER kind of left me cold, sorry.

Last edited:
Three must albums for me. The rest remain silent. 🔒
Close to the Edge
The Yes Album
Fragile

What about GFTO? I was listening to the SACD today, there is some really tasteful guitar playing on this. Incredible playing I should say...the last album with the early 70s lineup.

Speaking of SACD, how do people here on QQ feel about the High Vibrations SACD boxset? Compressed mess or worth it?

Last edited:
What about GFTO? I was listening to the SACD today, there is some really tasteful guitar playing on this. Incredible playing I should say...the last album with the early 70s lineup.
If you play it I will listen, that and Relayer. Going for the five. :D

1. Fragile
2. Close to the Edge
3. Going for the One
4. Relayer
5. The Yes Album

Bottom of the list: Tales from Topographic Oceans. I cannot stand that indulgent mess

Actually, Tormato came after GFTO with the same lineup: Anderson/Squire/Howe/Wakeman/White. And I say, Tormato is way underrated... great playing on fine songs like Release Release, Future Times, Onward, Arriving UFO, and (especially) On The Silent Wings Of Freedom. If you haven't heard this album in a while, it's worth giving it another chance.

Ok here is my list of my top 5 YES albums in order from best to least favorite of my top 5

1. The Yes Album ...... Blu-ray mixed by SW
2. Fragile ...... Blu-ray mixed by SW
3. Yessongs......Japanese 7" SACD/Hybrid import
just blows me away how good this is, sounds.
as if its multichannel in my car but its not
4. Close to the Edge.....Blu-ray mixed by SW
5. Going for the One......the last great studio.
album by the band and deserves the Blu-ray
treatment mixed by SW as well

Now wouldn't it be AWESOME if they ever get the Atmos treatment?! YES INDEED!!

I also think Tull, ELP & Genesis (especially Trick of the Tail) would also be AMAZING in the Atoms format!!!

Back