BluRay Music Video Poll Yes - Live at Montreux [HD-DVD/Blu-Ray]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the HD Video of Yes - LIVE AT MONTREUX 2003

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HD title. If you feel so inclined, include info on the type of equipment you are using for playback and your setup.

When voting, please remember that we're mostly interested in the quality of the sound and the surround mix as opposed to the video presentation, although in the case of these discs that would also be a consideration when contemplating a disc purchase.

Attachments

• yes.jpg
    yes.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 494
I'm a big Yes fan so any release is a good release in my book.

I thought the bass was thin throughout the disc (HD-DVD). It definitely wasn't their best performance either. Still I'd recommend it to any other fan. If the Blu-ray is going to be a straight port of the HD-DVD, they're missing a great opportunity to do a better job on the sound (lossless anyone?).

This is very typical of the Eagle Rock HD DVD titles of which I own several including Santana and Toto live. The video quality is fine as one would expect. The audio quality is typical ambience in the rears live concert stuff - no discernable difference from the standard DVD wheter in Dolby 5.1 or DTS. -I expect that the same will hold true for the Blu Ray titles as they are rolled out.

The performances are also OK - they could play most of this stuff in their sleep and despite that, appear to fairly engaged throughout the concert. Except for greater picture clarity, I can see no reason for this title to be in HD - there are no "extra" features, discrete sound, anything to tell this apart from the standard DVD version. I would have given the DVD an 8 - a decent live concert video experience.

The HD DVD/Blu Ray gets a 5 - it's offers no real upgrade except a few extra pixels of video definition. Most importantly (IMO) a disappointing audio experience - considering what it could have been.

Was it actually filmed in HD ? or just standard definition Video ?.

Although not clearly stated on the outside packaging, the rolling credits after the last song, "Roundabout," state "recorded in High Definition."

The picture is certainly an upgrade over standard def - but I bet a good upconverting DVD player would do a pretty good job with the standard DVD version.

I just played this one myself, and agree with everyone above. The surround aspect is strictly front-centric, with the audience in the rears. In fact, you can see the surround microphones suspended above the crowd on the wide side shots of the venue.

The HD is very clear, and the concert was indeed filmed in HD, however as stated before with these "older" acts, the HD can get a bit harrowing on the close-ups! :eek:

The set list is quite familiar, and most of the hits are here. The bass is indeed lacking (Blu-Ray), however that could be a function of my Panasonic BD30 which has such issues.

Is it worth getting? Not sure. Can't make it a "must buy", but if you like Yes and have no live Yes material, it's probably a good buy as it's not that expensive. And you can get it in both HD formats.

The performance is quite good, and most high notes are hit, so I'll rate it high for performance, low for surround, medium/high for fidelity and give it a '6'.

In reference to the DTS HD audio, I would give this a 9. My reference disc currently is Roy Orbison Black and White Night. The DTS HD Master Audio on that disc is definately a 10. I don't have the SACD of it but I can't see how the SACD could be as good or any better. However, Yes is very close. It is so clear that it has an unreal uncanny quality to it. The bass over most of the disc is also strong. Almost overpowering in Roundabout, along with the kick-drum which makes my walls rattle a bit. The other instruments are totally natural and I have never heard a Yes disc that sounds this good. My Sony S350 is just a transport and my Yamaha receiver is doing all the decoding. This is really the way to go. This disc also has excellent PQ, much above what standard DVD could do. On my system it is playing back at 24hz/fps so it must have originally been shot with film.

Last edited:
i'm a big yes fan so my opinion may be biased. i gave the audio an 8 'cuz the audio for my ht setup is only 4.0. (2 stereo full range front l & r and l & r surrounds); works for me (also, just right for quad!:phones).
i thought it (hd dvd) sounded very good and looked great thru my 720p pj/108" screen.

I can't say that there is a better DVD performance of the original line up....almost original. Other than being dated, this is a great concert...so like Baggy...if there is better, let know. I love to play this one.

Well, I must admit to NOT having the BD, but I do have the DVD which has a DTS 96/24 MCH mix, which I'm guessing is the same one....for best results play the Stereo and run it thru your favorite DPL setting, it opens up a LOT!!!

I am TOTALLY BIASED cause I saw them from front row, in front of The Fish in Madrid a few days before this show, so it was a a "replay" of what I saw.....I' can "relive" my gig, again and again...from all their releases, THIS is the one to get...the classic lineup, great performances...and YES!!!!! What else do you want???

I can't say that there is a better DVD performance of the original line up....almost original. Other than being dated, this is a great concert...so like Baggy...if there is better, let know. I love to play this one.

I really enjoyed Yes Symphonic.

Back