HiRez Poll Yes - MIRROR TO THE SKY [Blu-ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Yes - MIRROR TO THE SKY

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new studio album from Yes entitled "Mirror to the Sky".
The new deluxe edition comes as a 2CD/Blu-ray Audio disc set featuring both a Dolby Atmos mix and a 5.1 surround mix of the album on the Blu-Ray.

The Dolby Atmos mix is also available to stream on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers:

(y) :) (n)

91p6FcuUPmL._SL1500_.jpg

yes_mirror-to-the-sky_boxset.jpg

a0081e0a9b4c9c018bf2c3491c3e4602.jpg

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/new-yes-album-with-atmos-mix-out-may.33899/

I like it, gonna wait til I spin it a few more times...
I find that it's a "watered down" version of Yes...and Jon's voice is a bit too "twee" for me, he does not have the projection that Jon A has..still not a bad album...

one point off for sloppy BD authoring, whoever did it, is not well versed in this art, every song begins with the first second or so cut off!

I voted 7.
Steve Howe the only one left from the past. Jon Davison is a pretty good replacement for Jon Anderson.
I listened to the Dolby Atmos.
Immersive, but not really a wild thing. Very tame mix.
I am still a fan enough to purchase Yes, based on their past, but there past I find not liking anymore, except up till Big Generator then I lose interest after that.
I did purchase the ArtBook, whatever.
This will likely not go into my yearly play rotation..

Please keep Poll Threads pure to your listening experience only.

I thought the mix and Atmos treatment was excellent.

My favorite is the title track.

Is this old Yes? No. But not too shabby in my estimation. There were one or two parts with the synthesizer/keyboards panning that were slightly annoying (could be an artifact of my hearing).
Truth: after The Quest I was not expecting to like this disc. I did not like that album. But willing to give another shot for one of the most preeminent Prog bands that ever existed.
I am willing to accept the change that comes with age and time and change of members. I like this album. Would I like it if not in Atmos? IDK. Hope to never find out.

I give it a very solid 9, based on * "NONYA." lol.

*None ya business. It's all subjective.

I voted 10 for The Quest and I'm voting 10 for Mirror To The Sky too. I liked The Quest, but the music on this new one is better. Both have got excellent sound production, with really good and discrete surround mixes. I've just listened to Mirror To The Sky again, for the fifth time in surround, this time really loud, and it is superb. The rear speakers are very active, used discretely for guitars, keyboards, backing vocals, orchestra. I don't think the centre speaker is in play much though. Steve Howe's guitar work on this album is excellent, and, as usual, he plays many different types of guitar, which is fun to hear separated out in surround.

I'm amazed and surprised to hear the band produce such a fine album at this late stage in their career, and its always a joy to hear good new music in surround. I haven't got the set up for Atmos, so its just 5.1 for me.

The Art Book which includes the bluray is very nicely done. Excellent Roger Dean cover, and inside there are pages with photos, early artwork, lyrics, interviews and the story of the album. The bluray also includes the album in instrumental hi res stereo, which is a nice bonus.

8. I like it, but obviously it's not the YES of old. But it's a good album. JD is not Jon Anderson but I liked him from his Glass Hammer days ... so he's not as powerful as JA but a good fill-in. Overall I like the sound of the album and the musicianship is top notch. I've only listened to the album once so far in 5.1 Surround so it's a gut response, but I'm playing it again tonight. I expect I'll like it a little more the second play .... YES has always grown on me the more I listen to their work. I had albums in the past initial response was kinda "ehh" but I ended up loving the album. So this album starts out way ahead of where some of YES'S more recent albums started! YES lives on!!!! I think Mr. Squire would be proud!

The music here is way better than the last one, and although I promised myself I would never buy a Yes album again after hearing that stupid Beatles song on The Quest, they have certainly redeemed themselves with this release as I bought the deluxe numbered set with the vinyl etc !
Listening to the 5.1, it starts off with some brilliant bass in Cut from the Stars and then Steve Howe plays some tasty slide on track 2 which became an ear worm for me after a few listens.
Good immersive surround and overall a much better return to form.
Even the bonus tracks are good.
I gave it an 8.

There is a lot of negativity surrounding this release. And most of them are valid. No, this is not the Yes of old. There are no original members any more, how can it be? No. Jon Davidson is no Jon Anderson. No, he does not have the lyrical flair that Anderson has. Yes, this almost seems like a Steve Howe solo project (Geoff Downes, where are you?). All that be told, it is all rather unfair criticism. Judging this release on it's own merits alone, I rather enjoyed it. I really didn't like "Heaven and Earth" at all. "The Quest" was mediocre at best, but this CD has several wonderful moments. For the most part the songwriting has improved. "Cut From The Stars", "All Connected", as well as the title track, are all very good songs. OK . . . "Living Out Their Dream" is a stinker, but the others aren't bad. Howe's guitar work is stellar throughout. I wish there were more keyboards, but, oh well. The production is good. I enjoyed the surround even though Howe is no Wilson, Soord or Tayler. A Solid 8.

P.S. Billy Sherwood is a good bass player, but I still really miss Chris Squire's bass playing. This CD could have used it.

Last edited:
I've been a Steve Howe fan for a long time now. One of my main guitar hero's. Yes isn't Yes without him and all that.

Nothing grabbed me arrangement or mix wise. Nothing offended me either. The mix is OK but doesn't justify turning 6 more channels of amps on. It's good. They play well and sound elegant. They used to have more of a dangerous element or something that I'm just not hearing anymore.

Nothing seems to be wrong sound and mastering wise. It's a great sounding release overall if you like the music. It IS a discrete 7.1.4 mix. Just not overly adventurous.

I'm listening to the Atmos mix (4.1.4 system). Mostly gentle, joyful, hopeful songs just like on The Quest (at least that's how both albums sound to me). Some songs are a lot stronger than others, in my opinion. Several tracks, like the opening track, could have sounded more powerful and more punchy with more use of the lower register. Still, surely a nice surround production. I am voting 8.

I gave it an 8.
The mix, Atmos and 5,1, is excellent IMO but the weakness of the musical material brought it down to the 8. I almost reached for the 7 but decided to be kind.

Back