Yes -Open Your Eyes(not sure if real surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually that was 2 tours after symphonic.

I know nothing about the record, but I wouldn't call it low key fan club release unless it was really different from the dvd, which was pretty commonly known and was later upgraded to blu-ray. They aren't from a soundboard that I know of- though the sound isn't stellar (the main complaint being the lack of low end for Chris' bass).

But maybe the CD/LP was different. Anyway, I enjoyed that tour a lot, the next to last one I saw them.
I see what's going on here. This was produced for a TV broadcast. Someone mixed a live 2 track in a mobile truck. I'm still giving props to the live mix! Pretty solidly on point and the missed cues were handled gracefully. (No sudden lurches when surprised by a low level a few times. Maybe only once having to yank a fader down real quick from the opposite.) Damn though, it sucks they didn't record multitrack for this!

I remember now that I did see this tour. Wakeman back in the band got my attention. Sleeper show here in Madison, WI though. I remember the audience just sucking and I left the show feeling embarrassed for my home town! The poor band got absolutely no energy back from anyone and never got warmed up. This was during a heightened authoritarian peroid with the DEA mob running around this country. One of their gigs was busting people at concerts and we ended up with this "lock down" kind of feel for a while.

They're warmed up and hot by the 4th song here! Steve Howe appears to visibly reverse age throughout the show as the music takes over.

Yes, it is pseudo-surround, but you're missing the main point: the music is not very good. At or near the bottom of Yes' output in most all die-hard Yesfans' opinions I've ever heard and I agree. Didn't stop me from double-dipping for the SAIL version way back when it debuted- more fool me.
Have you, or anyone else, compared the regular CD to the SAIL version? What are the differences?

No, I haven't done any close comparisons. I got the SAIL version because it was Yes in surround! Despite not being thrilled with the album. But when the surround didn't sound so great, I haven't really returned to the album.

I have read through all of your postings and have the following questions in conclusion:
  • Is there any way to play this album according to the development ideas?
  • So is there a converter that can convert this SAIL transformation (REcode) and if so for how many channels?
  • Has anyone found any info about this on the net or is this development already too long ago?
  • Has anyone heard this before in the technology mentioned?
  • Has anyone found an alternative way to transform this?

I have read through all of your postings and have the following questions in conclusion:
  • Is there any way to play this album according to the development ideas?
  • So is there a converter that can convert this SAIL transformation (REcode) and if so for how many channels?
  • Has anyone found any info about this on the net or is this development already too long ago?
  • Has anyone heard this before in the technology mentioned?
  • Has anyone found an alternative way to transform this?

See my post #10 Yes -Open Your Eyes(not sure if real surround)

But mostly to answer your questions:
1. play this album according to the development ideas? NO

2. converter that can convert this SAIL transformation (REcode) and if so for how many channels? NO

3. Has anyone found any info about this on the net or is this development already too long ago? Vintage tech, too old, too long ago, obsolete.

4. anyone heard this before in the technology mentioned? There was never a way to decode SAIL unless someone had the original professional equipment in studio.

5. anyone found an alternative way to transform this? To decode it or convert to a current codec? Surely if there was the equipment available to decode and then recode to current algorithms, it could be done. But currently can only decode by utilizing Dolby Surround or DTS or surround master technology, etc. to create a psuedo surround effect.

Last edited:
Back