• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

HiRez Poll Yes - RELAYER [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Yes - RELAYER

• Total voters

5.1 4 Life

I love the Steven Wilson 5.1 mix of Relayer by Yes. I remember when the original LP came out in 1974 and although it's a departure from their earlier albums (especially on "The Gates Of Delirium" & "Sound Chaser"), it's always been one of favorite records by Yes. And once again, the 5.1 mix opens up the sound quality on Relayer (I don't even miss the "battle sound effects" on this version of "TGOD"). Also with all the extras (the original mix, the instrumental mix, the demos and the live tracks), this is my favorite release of this classic album.

;)

Reactions: WBP

ergalthema

When I put this Blu-ray in, go to audio setup, and select "lpcm 5.1 surround" , it starts playing in surround, but the screen shows "lpcm stereo" underlined. If I move down and select "lpcm surround", the sound doesn't change. So, it seems like there's just a little authoring bug going on. Anyone else noticed that? Just curious.

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Tried 'To Be Over' again...

Nope. Ugh.

SW added digital 'verb to everything except the bass. It sounds bad and *definitely* not capturing the magic balance of the original mix. Just wrong.

Is it maybe time to say that Steve Wilson really was not the right guy for Yes remixes? (He's good at Crimson remixes.)

Ninecats

701 Club - QQ All-Star

Nope. Ugh.

SW added digital 'verb to everything except the bass. It sounds bad and *definitely* not capturing the magic balance of the original mix. Just wrong.

Is it maybe time to say that Steve Wilson really was not the right guy for Yes remixes? (He's good at Crimson remixes.)
If anyone can pull it off it’s him I’m sure - I am however not sure if an album like CTTE suits for surround, with its thick sound wall. Steve Hoffman said it was a tough one to remaster even in stereo (yes I know the difference in remix/remastering, his remaster is the best sounding CTTE I’ve heard in stereo). But all the other Yes remixes are fine to me, I hold The Yes Album as one of his best remixes overall.

himey

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star

Nope. Ugh.

I think it sounds perfect and I doubt many people around the globe want him to stop mixing Yes in surround. Sorry you don't like it. It has the original mix too so you don't have to sell it.

himey

If anyone can pull it off it’s him I’m sure - I am however not sure if an album like CTTE suits for surround, with its thick sound wall. Steve Hoffman said it was a tough one to remaster even in stereo (yes I know the difference in remix/remastering, his remaster is the best sounding CTTE I’ve heard in stereo). But all the other Yes remixes are fine to me, I hold The Yes Album as one of his best remixes overall.

Your post is confusing. Is it in the correct thread? CTTE sounds excellent...

Ninecats

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I was addressing ssullys opinion on SW Yes’ remixes in general, and used CTTE as an example where a remix can be tricky because of the nature of the recording. My personal opinion of course.

Last edited:

von kulper

500 Club - QQ All-Star
I'll keep this short as I have little to add to what's already been said in this thread. For me this is a solid 8. Musically, I love it, but it's not an easy one to grasp. I don't like it as much as CTE, but prefer it to TYA. To Be Over is a beautiful closer, and a reference song and mix. This is from beginning to end, a fun, engaging surround mix. I have no issues with "harshness" on my setup, and I can rock it LOUD without succumbing to ear fatigue. With that said, I was not familiar with previous versions of this album prior to the surround mix.

So yeah, an 8. But caveat emptor; the music here is often times... adventurous.

Last edited:

WBP

Always loved Relayer - its a very ambitious album musically but they pull it off with style , they seem inspired by Moraz and its shame this line up only recorded one album. The mix is great for what is a very dense recording - its a joy to listen to

The Rang

When I put this Blu-ray in, go to audio setup, and select "lpcm 5.1 surround" , it starts playing in surround, but the screen shows "lpcm stereo" underlined. If I move down and select "lpcm surround", the sound doesn't change. So, it seems like there's just a little authoring bug going on. Anyone else noticed that? Just curious.
I noticed the same things, I used the coloured buttons on the remote to choose the version I wanted

Group builder