HiRez Poll Yes - RELAYER [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Yes - RELAYER

• 5 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Contact

• Total voters
I'm aware the original mix is included. How many people who buy these 5.1 sets to experience e.g. Relayer for the fist time, actually listen to the original mix?

And I didn't say it couldn't be a 'fun/good' experience. I said, in effect, that I hope they don't take Wilson's botch as a reflection of what Relayer should sound like. His remix is markedly inferior to the original mix. And yes, it's just, like, my opinion, man, so no need to retort with that. It's also an opinion from someone who has been listening to the album since the week it was released in 1974.

I'm aware the original mix is included. How many people who buy these 5.1 sets to experience e.g. Relayer for the fist time, actually listen to the original mix?

And I didn't say it couldn't be a 'fun/good' experience. I said, in effect, that I hope they don't take Wilson's botch as a reflection of what Relayer should sound like. His remix is markedly inferior to the original mix. And yes, it's just, like, my opinion, man, so no need to retort with that. It's also an opinion from someone who has been listening to the album since the week it was released in 1974.

All good, to each his own. I've listened to all mixes/versions on the BDA disc and have no issues with the SW remix. Thanks!

I said, in effect, that I hope they don't take Wilson's botch as a reflection of what Relayer should sound like. His remix is markedly inferior to the original mix. And yes, it's just, like, my opinion, man, so no need to retort with that. It's also an opinion from someone who has been listening to the album since the week it was released in 1974.
I also bought it back in '74, and since this place largely runs on disagreements...

The main attraction for me is the separation that Wilson did on the 5.1 mix. There was/is too much stuff going on with "The Gates of Delirium" for a stereo mix, not Eddie's fault, just the limitation of two channels. I now hear stuff on that track that I never did before because it was previously buried way down in the stereo mix, and I don't really miss the absent war cries as the music itself conveys the battle so well.

So while I might well play the other non-Wilson CD versions of "Relayer" in the car, it's the 5.1 mix at home that wins out (particularly as I play it very loud, living out in the country on my own with no neighbours to worry about).

Separation, perhaps better...but the EQ ? All the highs are gone, perhaps to reduce tape hiss (especially obvious on 'Sound Chaser' as well as 'Gates'). The reverb? Terrible attemptto replicate in SW's mix (obvious in 'To Be Over'). And then the missing parts which perhaps are not SW's fault but still glare ('Gates'). For heavens sake, longtime fans, listen to 'To Be Over' and tell me SW improved on it. His 5.1 (and stereo) remix of this just fails so obviously, I can't believe any aficionado of this album would accept it.

I have increasingly come to believe that, like even moreso in Jakko's home mixing setup, Wilson's is not set up to industry spec. What a shame. It leads him to believe that things sound 'right' , which do not.

Wilson's said his remix was fully approved by the band.

I doubt most of the band that created the album in 1974 -- Anderson, Howe, Moraz, Squire, White -- have listened to a whole track off the remix, and I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't heard it at all (and especially not the 5.1). Steve Howe is the only one likely to be even paying attention to SW's remixes. Moreover, band members (any band) tend to care about and respond most to how well their part sounds. I'd be much more curious to know what Eddy Offord has to say about the remixes.

I doubt most of the band that created the album ... have listened to a whole track off the remix, and I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't heard it at all (and especially not the 5.1).
I guess you have to express such doubts as the logic of your previous remark that you "can't believe any aficionado of this album would accept it" would imply that the YES members involved, if they did indeed approve it, don't accept their own album.

Perhaps a true Scotsman would like to weigh in?

I 'guess' you assume that what was posted here on QQ about what Wilson said, was accurate, and I 'guess' it means, to you, that all the Yes members -- Anderson, Howe, Moraz, Squire, White -- actually listened to the entire 2.0 and 5.1 remixes before granting approval.

And I 'guess' you think that 'approval' of a new money generating release for Yes members couldn't possibly have anything to do with nonmusical concerns, for any of them. I 'guess' you think 'good enough' couldn't apply.

I 'guess' you're extremely familiar with Relayer -- enough so that, for example, you can tell in what ways Yes itself isn't playing it as well live as they did in 1974-6, even though it's 'good enough' for them -- and I guess you still think Wilson remix is at least as good as , and maybe better than, 'sixth member of Yes' Eddy Offord's.

And from all this, I guess you're kinda unfamiliar with Yes history -- how it has operated as a musical band, as distinct and often clashing individual personalities, and as a fractious business unit. For those who are familiar......the idea that every member of the Relayer-era band individually, or collectively, sat down in 2014 and gave the whole new thing a listen, compared it carefully to the original recording, and decided, individually or collectively, yeah, this mix is as good or better than Eddy's mix, and that's why I'm gonna approve it... is humorous at best and delusional at worst.

...I have increasingly come to believe that, like even moreso in Jakko's home mixing setup, Wilson's is not set up to industry spec. What a shame. It leads him to believe that things sound 'right' , which do not.

I have also wondered about Steve's monitor calibration, both on this album and also Close To The Edge, to the point of trying different EQ curves in an attempt to recover some of the tonal balance of the original mixes - something I almost never feel a need to do. Haven't yet come up with fixes I can live with, but I intend to keep trying because I dearly love them both. I can certainly remember hearing Relayer for the first time back in '74, with my jaw hanging open.

I have also wondered about Steve's monitor calibration, both on this album and also Close To The Edge, to the point of trying different EQ curves in an attempt to recover some of the tonal balance of the original mixes - something I almost never feel a need to do. Haven't yet come up with fixes I can live with, but I intend to keep trying because I dearly love them both. I can certainly remember hearing Relayer for the first time back in '74, with my jaw hanging open.

Close to the Edge is another remix fail. So disappointing.

Back