HiRez Poll Yes - TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS [DVD-Audio/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Yes - TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I only got into 5.1 surround lately. It was always a dream, but I didn't have the proper space. As a huge Yes fan from way back, being able to listen to "Close to the Edge" in 5.1 surround, was always the driving force to make me do this. Unfortunately, that surround mix of that classic Yes album isn't one of the best. "Tales From Topographic Oceans" was never my favorite. I always thought is was overblown, pompous and meandering. I was glad that I found a copy of this, still at retail pricing, because I probably wouldn't have purchased it. I am so glad I did. Steven Wilson has done wonderful things with this mix. There are parts where he seems to have reimagined what they should have been. The experimental vision of Anderson and Howe, really comes through now. I haven't been able to find a reasonable version of "Fragile" yet, but I have all of the other Steven Wilson remasters. This is by far my favorite. Well done. A solid 10.

I only got into 5.1 surround lately. It was always a dream, but I didn't have the proper space. As a huge Yes fan from way back, being able to listen to "Close to the Edge" in 5.1 surround, was always the driving force to make me do this. Unfortunately, that surround mix of that classic Yes album isn't one of the best. "Tales From Topographic Oceans" was never my favorite. I always thought is was overblown, pompous and meandering. I was glad that I found a copy of this, still at retail pricing, because I probably wouldn't have purchased it. I am so glad I did. Steven Wilson has done wonderful things with this mix. There are parts where he seems to have reimagined what they should have been. The experimental vision of Anderson and Howe, really comes through now. I haven't been able to find a reasonable version of "Fragile" yet, but I have all of the other Steven Wilson remasters. This is by far my favorite. Well done. A solid 10.
What didn't you like about CTTE?

What didn't you like about CTTE?
I liked it. A lot! I just didn't love it. When I listened to the 5.1 mix of "The Yes Album" it was like listening to it for the first time. I heard things I never heard before (and I have listened to it dozens of time before). CTTE didn't WOW me. The surround was really good, just not as good as the others. Perhaps it was due to the original source. Or perhaps my expectations were just too high. There were some glorious moments though! "I Get Up. I Get Down" sent shivers through me.

I liked it. A lot! I just didn't love it. When I listened to the 5.1 mix of "The Yes Album" it was like listening to it for the first time. I heard things I never heard before (and I have listened to it dozens of time before). CTTE didn't WOW me. The surround was really good, just not as good as the others. Perhaps it was due to the original source. Or perhaps my expectations were just too high. There were some glorious moments though! "I Get Up. I Get Down" sent shivers through me.
Growing up CTTE was my favorite yes album. But after listening to the yes album in 5.1 it has moved into first place for me. While I still like CTTE in 5.1 it doesn't have the same wow factor as the yes album does.

Back