HiRez Poll Yes - THE QUEST [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Yes - THE QUEST [Blu-Ray Audio]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Content is good, the art book is very cool, but not comprehensive like other releases (outtakes, behind the scenes videos, as covid obviously played a huge part in this release not getting done sooner, etc). I do like that they included both PCM and dts 5.1 for surround. The surround mix is very relaxed on most songs. There are moments of the whole room lighting up, but most songs are mainly ambiance, which does open up the music, so it's not totally a bust. Fidelity to my ears is at a 10, so balancing out the minor shortfalls of the content and relaxed mix, eight is a fair rating.

I'm voting 9. Great surround, great bass and - in my opinion - lots of great songs with a very uplifting vibe. This is pretty much the first Yes I hear, so not comparing, just really enjoying this both in terms of music and surround mix. Great 5.1 job Curtis Schwartz.

Many good points have been made in this thread. I don't care to debate, just add my own 2c.

The packaging is excellent. Nice book, but I don't care for the plastic buttons that hold the discs in place. I fear I'll break the discs. (Same issue with Porc Tree's In Absentia.)

As for those who gripe perpetually about the sound of Yes, 1972 was 50 flippin' years ago! I'm surprised there's any original members still active from that time (and before anyone barks, I know Howe & White aren't original). The point is that the band is bound to evolve if it is to continue. I got to see the last tour with Squire in 2013. He's irreplaceable. Davison acquitted himself with honors, despite a few morons howling for Anderson.

I feel The Quest is a fine addition to the Yes catalog. Downes, Davison, and especially Howe turn in some fine work here. Overall, The Quest feels like a filled-out Steve Howe album, which I'm OK with.

As for the DTS surround mix, I dig it. According to the book, 4 days were spent on it. It's very good, but not great, and certainly not up to the high-water mark of the average Steven Wilson mix, but few things are. Wilson has spoiled us all. The video backdrop is screensaver quality. Audio is crisp and clear with tight bass. Rear surrounds have plenty to do. Not much in the way of acrobatics, but it's a very good mix and an enjoyable listen.

It likely won't rise to the value of the Wilson remixes once it goes out of print, but it's worth having if you enjoy the band. I gave it an 8. That's very good. I save my 9's & 10's for the real mind-blowers.

very late to this, as I just recently picked up the 2cd+bd artbook edition.

the album keeps growing on me, and while I get that many fans want more uptempo tracks, I still think this is a very good listen. Well played, nice songs, and the production seems good judging from a few spins

very late to this, as I just recently picked up the 2cd+bd artbook edition.

the album keeps growing on me, and while I get that many fans want more uptempo tracks, I still think this is a very good listen. Well played, nice songs, and the production seems good judging from a few spins
With an excellent discrete surround mix (y) .

Have you seen the advert for the new album, due May 19th?

I have heard that in the interviews in the art book edition of the new one that the band make an interesting comparison with The Quest, described as introspective and focused on beautiful melodies, arrangements and performances, while Mirror to the Sky would show that "Yes can still Rock." Sounds promising!

Somehow this release passed me by.
I've recently bought it from Amazon at what I thought was a good price, just over £17.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B099C8S5ZJ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1Only to read its been on offer nearer a tenner!!

First off, the mix is very good.
The fidelity is also very good.
I'm enjoying this release, musically, too.

It's definitely a more subdued Yes that greets our audio appendages.

One might say it's a mature Yes.

But overall I'm happy to say Yes to Yes ....9

Last edited:
Back