HiRez Poll Yes - THE YES ALBUM [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Yes - THE YES ALBUM

• Total voters
I take it no one else if having an issue playing the DVD-A. I got mine in and it gets suck at about 8:30 on the first song. If I skip past the first song, nothing plays at all. It just quickly cycles through the track numbers and jumps back to the main menu. I'm using the Oppo BDP-95. I've inspected the disk and do not see any scratches or obvious issues.
I forgot to report back. I was all set to return the disc for a replacement and the problem went away. The oppo was probably glitching out or there was something on the disc that I didn't see but managed to clean off.

I had to hold my breath as YIND was winding down and when Wurm was playing. There is no better feeling than hearing a song for the 1000 time and still getting excited as it moves along. Enjoy the journey as you explore the various versions.

Not ready to vote on this one yet, only listened with the headphones so far. First impressions: I like Fragile a bit more. When the wife gets up and around I'll crank it in surround and I expect my perceptions will change. Funny how multi-channel makes the sonics and clarity explode! :flame

But it should right? Instead of using 2 speakers to reproduce the sound we are using 5; each speaker has to deal with way less signal.

Most definitely! Get that guitar isolated and the clarity is just unbelievable....nothing close by to rob or muddle the sound of that particular instrument. the drums/bass/other are doing their thing somewhere else with equal enthusiasm.

After second run on TYA and I'm leaning a strong 9. A must have. Probably tip over to a 10 once I get through all the extras. Listening now to the "2014 Instrumental" mix. A very pleasant flavor to this classic.

I picked this up recently on BluRay. The Steven Wilson 5.1 mix is superb. I think that I would rate this as my favourite Yes album (with Fragile and Close to the Edge close behind). It's almost overkill what you get in these packages new mixes, original mix, single edits and vinyl needle drop! Considering that this was recorded in 1970 the sound is fantastic, don't think that modern recording could do any better! a ten for sure!

The 'archive master' is a bin master for commercial tape duplication. These often sound better (at least slightly different) than the expected original master stream. They're included as a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that this is the master tape used to copy the album content to multiple slave tape drives. I would presume the EQ to be different from that used for vinyl production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I meant was, is a tape production master usually tweaked compared to the original master, like vinyl production masters are (though the tweaks could well be different for tape vs vinyl)?

The answer would appear to be yes, since the flat transfer and the 'archival' master reportedly have different EQ.

Revisited my Blu-ray of this masterpiece in LPCM 5.1 earlier today and this is an absolute 10+!

IMHO it represents the greatest SW mix of a classic album to date. The discrete distribution of vocals and instruments, the incredible low end heft in Squire's bass and Bruford's kick drum, the amazing delineation of each instrument in the room-filling mix. I could go on and on... this is an absolutely amazing listening experience. I have SW's Fragile, CTTE, and Tales Blu-rays and, while they're all great, none of them equal TYA's multi-channel sonic bliss.

Revisited my Blu-ray of this masterpiece in LPCM 5.1 earlier today and this is an absolute 10+!

IMHO it represents the greatest SW mix of a classic album to date. The discrete distribution of vocals and instruments, the incredible low end heft in Squire's bass and Bruford's kick drum, the amazing delineation of each instrument in the room-filling mix. I could go on and on... this is an absolutely amazing listening experience. I have SW's Fragile, CTTE, and Tales Blu-rays and, while they're all great, none of them equal TYA's multi-channel sonic bliss.

Agreed, this is probably Stevens finest hour so far mixing wise. Absolutely perfect in every way!

Back