HiRez Poll Yes - THE YES ALBUM [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Yes - THE YES ALBUM

• Total voters
Were you listening in 5.1 surround or 5 channel stereo?
I'm not insane, I saw the DTS MA thing on my receiver and there are bits where the guitar jumps around in ways you couldn't do in FIVE CHANNEL STEREO. It was just surprisingly dull and static mixwise, probably worse than CttE by a good bit. I did consider that The Yes Album probably doesn't lend itself to surround all that well, the original album doesn't really have an atmosphere or soundstage if that makes sense? But like wow, backing vocals in the surround speakers and leads pure center? Where have I heard THAT fresh trick before? Snore...

Listening to the blu ray now. Superb! I just picked up four Steven Wilson Yes discs and this is the first one I'm listening to. Prog is a genre made for surround sound in my estimation and the Wilson Crimson, Tull, and now Yes discs seem to be the way to go.

Couple of my prog favorites besides Yes : Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Gentle Giant, XTC. Etc.

Well that was yet another depressingly safe mix. More akin to CttE than Fragile or In the Court of the Crimson King. Is Steve Wilson quite scared of moving thing around? There's a couple of fun whiz-bang ping-pong movements on this but it's basically the bare minimum that you can do without just making "BIG STEREO" a la 5.1 Dark Side of the Moon.
Many of us do not like "ping-pong" type effects in our 5.1 mixes. Because what sounds cool and "whiz-bang fun" the first time around can grate on one's nerves after repeat plays.

Subtly and restraint can be enduring over the long haul. This is not to be mistaken with strong separation in channel placements.

Eggplant, are you speaking of the Fragile mix? This thread is for The Yes Album I think.

I listened to the whole thing right through — then some of the 2002 mix for comparison. Almost every track sounds good, quite discrete, good sonics. Roundabout finally sounds like the quad mix I imagined.

About that 2002 mix?
Yeah.
It sucked.

Well, the King Crimson drummer for a decade or more was the drummer for XTC on Oranges and Lemons. So there is a strong connection to progressive music but I would not use the term Prog which I’ve always disliked anyway.

Many of us do not like "ping-pong" type effects in our 5.1 mixes. Because what sounds cool and "whiz-bang fun" the first time around can grate on one's nerves after repeat plays.

Subtly and restraint can be enduring over the long haul. This is not to be mistaken with strong separation in channel placements.
Are Quad Dark Side of the Moon and the bluray of Quadrophenia considered to be "ping pong"? Is the Steven Wilson 5.1 of Tales "ping pong" too? I just like placement and pans and stuff that grab my ears and make me sit up.

Fwiw I should go over this one again and nail down just what I don't like.

Finally picked this up (Yep, late to the party once again), to complete my Steve Wilson, Yes 5.1 remix series: Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales, Relayer. Listening to the DTS-HD MA tracks. So far very impressed with the remix. The 5.1 makes nice use of surrounds. Bass is terrific, punchy. Some fun swirls on Yours Is No Disgrace. Oddly, I prefer LPCM version of Perpetual Change over the DTS-HD track. Overall excellent mix and incredible music from an incredible band. I don't think it gets much better than this on my system. I gave it a 10.

Last edited:
Finally picked this up (Yep, late to the party once again), to complete my Steve Wilson, Yes 5.1 remix series: Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales, Relayer. Listening to the DTS-HD MA tracks. So far very impressed with the remix. The 5.1 makes nice use of surrounds. Bass is terrific, punchy. Some fun swirls on Yours Is No Disgrace. Oddly, I prefer LPCM version of Perpetual Change over the DTS-HD track. Overall excellent mix and incredible music from an incredible band. I don't think it gets much better than this on my system. I gave it a 10.

I'm curious why your music listening usually gravitates toward DTS-HD over uncompressed LPCM? I associate the first with movies and the latter with music, but would like to hear other perspectives.

I'm curious why your music listening usually gravitates toward DTS-HD over uncompressed LPCM? I associate the first with movies and the latter with music, but would like to hear other perspectives.

I have a tube based 2 channel system with TT in my studio. But my 7.1.2 system is my main entertainment setup (4K HDTV, Atmos) in living room and it's tuned for movies so perhaps this is why DTS sounds better to my ears. I'll try listening to listen to LPCM tracks to see if there's any difference, I have a decent collections of multichannel SACDs and actually prefer SACD DSD.

Term best describing them is a progressive pop band, they're like a chameleon. Art Rock, Pop, their style has been debated since early 2000's on Prog Archives.
I think that you will find a lot of bands in that position, the spectrum art rock - prog covers a lot of territory. I find Be-Bop Deluxe in the same situation. David Bowie in his glam period and even Elton John had prog sensibilities. How could you possibly categorize Carmen? There are bands that produced for one album solid prog, but I omit further examples to avoid starting a new thread :p

Back