HiRez Poll Yo Yo Ma - PLAYS ENNIO MORRICONE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Yo Yo Ma - YO YO MA PLAYS ENNIO MORRICONE

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD from Sony Classical (y):phones(n)

I have this disc. The sound quality is excellent. If you like Ennio Morricone movie soundtracks, this one should be a buy. The songs from Good, Bad and the Ugly are especially good. A solid performance for a classical SACD.

ss9001

I have this disc. The sound quality is excellent. If you like Ennio Morricone movie soundtracks, this one should be a buy. The songs from Good, Bad and the Ugly are especially good. A solid performance for a classical SACD.

ss9001

Agreed. This Surround Sound SACD was surprisingly good with some excellent performances of the Morricone soundtracks.

hi,went for the dual disc just to find out that the dvd side is only dolby digital. you get some student short films and a documentary but that doesnt make up for the lo-res

Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD from Sony Classical (y):phones(n)

This one has always hit me as being a bit mislabeled. It features Ennio Morricone conducting the Roma Sinfonietta Orchestra with Yo-Yo Ma.

If you like Morricone's music, it's a don't miss disc in Surround Sound Super Audio CD. My favorite is Track 12 - great in Surround !

Very nice to listen to. Music sounds very "classical", no electric guitars or harmonicas. Good sound and appropriate surround mix.

Morricone is a great composer, but I've never cared for Yo Yo Ma's style of cello playing. The orchestral arrangement -- sans guitar, harmonica, and wild percussion -- sucks the life out of the great GB&U theme. Sound on the SACD is very good, with a so-so surround mix that's fairly typical for "classical" music. I've played the disc twice and just couldn't get into it due to the aforementioned reasons.

Morricone is a great composer, but I've never cared for Yo Yo Ma's style of cello playing. The orchestral arrangement -- sans guitar, harmonica, and wild percussion -- sucks the life out of the great GB&U theme. Sound on the SACD is very good, with a so-so surround mix that's fairly typical for "classical" music. I've played the disc twice and just couldn't get into it due to the aforementioned reasons.

this is much more fun...I've seen them twice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrenPqXgdBk

I think this has to be one of my favourite SACD's, purely for the emotion in the music....can't get through a listen without tears.

This is some peaceful, lovely listening. If you like to chill and if you like Yo-yo Ma's playing this is pretty much a no-brainer. SACD is currently available pretty damned cheap.
At times fairly discrete, by the way, such as the horns on Ecstasy of Gold.
Baggy go wiff "9" 'cause it ain't no Raven! :confused:

This is some peaceful, lovely listening. If you like to chill and if you like Yo-yo Ma's playing this is pretty much a no-brainer. SACD is currently available pretty damned cheap.
At times fairly discrete, by the way, such as the horns on Ecstasy of Gold.
Baggy go wiff "9" 'cause it ain't no Raven! :confused:

Thanks for the heads up on this. Sounds intriguing. I just ordered from eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, just got around to voting on this fantastic SONY SACD which I've had for eons. Even though there's nothing in the rears save ambience, the combination of Morricone's gorgeous compositions and Yo Yo Ma's magnificent cello prowness has led me to vote a SOLID 10. And R.I.P. Maestro Morricone. Your music will live on FOREVER!

Back