HiRez Poll Young, Neil - GREENDALE (DVD-A)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Neil Young - GREENDALE

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

The sound and mix merit a 9, but the music itself? Has yet to grow on me in any way....certainly ambitious--typical NY--but not sure it amounts to a whole lot. Well done, however....

ED:)

A mediocre Neil Young album, I wish a great album, "Prairie Wind", could have been a surround disc but I will play the high resolution stereo PW tens times as much as this anyway. This album, as are half of the other Neil Young albums in my opinioin, isn't really worth owning in any format but the DVD-A is a excellent presentation of nothing much worth hearing. I give it a 7 because of great fidelity and mix. If this album had been by Fred Snarf, it would have sold 100 copies, assuming Fred had that many relatives with DVD-A players.

Chris

Recently got this for a bargain price !!! i owned the CD with the live acoustic Show (Very interesting concert even if the crowd look totally bemused) and the DVD Video (DTS is pretty good) for a while, so was not in a hurry to get another version (Though this does complete my NY DVDA collection:banana:).

The mix sounds very much like the one on the DVD V instrumennt placement etc. So not a new mix to me but the instruments do sound a step up from the DTS stream on the DVDV. Overall i like the album though a couple of the songs could have done with being trimmed !!:eek: Ill give it a 8.5 rounded to 9 just because it sounds much better than the DVDV :D

Well I disagree with many here. A great album made even better with the dvd audio. It grows on you big time. Sound is excellent. Surround is subtle but effective when in use. Sun Green in the speakerphone is an example of how it works well, but there are many more. The mix is nothing like the acoustic dvd, this is NY with Crazy Horse but a very laid back crazy horse. I recommend it to fans who already love the cd. If you don't like the cd, leave the dvd audio for someone who will appreciate it. :) its too good to be sitting on a shelf. I'll give it a 9.

I would give this one an 8.5, but I'll round up to 9.0. I won't go into details here, but you can read my one-and-only review for HFR here:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/review.asp?reviewnumber=17099014

:p

This summarization from Cai's HFR says it all:

"The lyrical story of ‘Greendale’ aside, I found the music and surround mix of this album to be a study in contrasts. It is often brilliant and often unfocused, cohesive and disjointed, beautiful and grating, mesmerizing and unnerving, immersive and exclusionary. I have to wonder how much of this was purposeful, especially considering the differing approaches to the surround mix. Knowing Neil, I have to think that this was all by design. After all, what is a chameleon if not a master of contrasts?"

I love listening to this anytime. One of the more exquisite pieces of music ever made.

Cracks me up every time I put it on...

IMO, this album and 5.1 mix get better as they go. I don't think this will ever be a favorite or a gem of my collection, but I appreciate that I get to experience it.
The last two tracks feature a lot of discrete moments and I think are probably the best tunes. Much of the album strikes me as immersive and a bit jammy.

Perhaps not an immediate album I would link to surround, but alas, been a fan of Neil for many years and pretty familiar with the stereo version I decided to give this a go. Found it pretty cheap on discogs. I was suprised to find out that this pretty jammy album worked pretty well in surround. I think it's as immersive as it can be, considering the limited amount of instruments. I had to raise the rears slightly for my own preferences. An 8.

I voted 7. I purchased this 2003 DVD-A release in 2018. Listened via ripped FLAC file Advanced Resolution 24/96 at 48db. Dynamic Range 11's-14's. It is barely a 5.1 if it all, more of a 4.0. My center channel meter has no activity. The songs are a far cry from I would expect out of Young and Crazy Horse, this effects my vote.
The fidelity (sonics) are great.
The surround, track to track, all over the place. The vocals at phantom center are very good.
This is one of those discs, I really want to be better than it is, oh well.

Back