Quad LP/Tape Poll Youngbloods: Get Together [Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Get Together'

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
In reality their 1967 self-titled debut retitled and repackaged in 1969 to capitalize on "Get Together" finally becoming a hit.

Program 1:

1. Grizzly Bear
2. All Over the World (La-La)
3. Four in the Morning
4. Get Together
5. One Note Man

Program 2:

1. The Other Side of This Life
2. Tears Are Falling
3. Statesboro Blues
4. Foolin' Around (The Waltz)
5. Ain't That Lovin' You, Baby
6. C.C. Rider

ED :)

9. Fidelity is nothing special on the Q4 & Q8, neither is the mix. Get Together, the title track is a different mix on the Q4 vs. Q8. But, OH what a performance! Not a bad tune in the bunch. This goes to 11.

People say I look a little more lonely every day. It's the same all over the world when you lose your girl.

mRi1RPmXBSrBJJjdlQXVKcg.jpg

$(KGrHqN,!k0FBSJ+PEU-BQgLnRw(KQ~~60_35.JPG

Four in the Morning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtHPyV3Err0

Grizzly Bear (from American Bandstand): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbRvXhyFmZY

"Get Together" - sung in Italian (Se Qualcuno Mi Dirà): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHjTuhbU8zs The B-side, "Grizzly Bear," also was sung in Italian (Qui Con Noi Tra Di Noi). Both are, of course, on this album in English.

All Over the World (La La): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHKMqBINQkA

I bought a mono copy of the debut back in the fall of '67 after hearing "Get Together" (for some reason "Grizzly Bear" didn't get airplay in Rhode Island, where I was living) and never got over it. This was an interesting group. Though they took their name from a Coasters song, and they did have humor and a sense of playfulness about them, unlike most groups of their time, directly referenced their influences while creating a hybrid style all their own. Jesse Colin Young was the veteran of the group--he'd already had a major label out in 1964, the unfairly forgotten The Soul of a City Boy--and he lent a depth and gravity to their sound. "Get Together" was not really typical of what they were about; neither was "Sunlight" yet their most pastoral ballads are what they're remembered for, not the rollicking fun of "Grizzly Bear" which I suspect is what they enjoyed doing most. It's been argued they never reached their potential, but I think this album was as far as they could go without becoming silly or psychedelic (both of which go together, of course). "Four in the Morning" sums up a lot of life in just a few minutes. For me, this album and MOBY GRAPE have remained the freshest of debut albums, almost timeless in themes and the direct simplicity of the performance.

It's unfortunate this isn't a better quad mix, however. Very messy, not sufficient separation or proper placement, not sure what the tape situation was, but it coulda, shoulda been better. Balancing out the mix and music quality, I'll give this a seven, but as you say, the album's an 11.

ED :)

I'm just gonna ride coattails on what Linda and Ed said. Crackin' tunes, middling mix and fidelity. (I'm basing that appraisal on a slightly muddy QR conversion with juiced bass.) A couple of tracks isolate the drum-kit in the right front, which is annoying. Interesting things going on mix-wise in "One Note Man," "The Other Side of This Life," and "Tough To Be a Man," though. Do we know who was doing these early RCA mixes?

It'd be nice to hear this remastered, at least. I'll bet a modern mixer could spruce things up a bit, too. A "7" with potential.

Last edited:
Back