Your own content in Apple Spatial Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I have many stereo audio files ripped from CDs as old as the hills, none of which are in iTunes, or on Apple Music streaming. Yet those files go to iCloud Music Library and are accessible from all my devices.

So, the "why not" is a little more nuanced isn't it? Seems to be a file type/codec/container restriction more than there not being a match.

Thanks for the info in this thread.

I noticed a few of the sample files play in Google Drive and show as Multi-Channel.
Conversely, KMPlayer does not seem to support any multi-channel playback.

Next, I've been converting an old DTS 5.1 WAV to play through my Apple devices. I can convert to any type of multi-channel and have tried ALAC, AAC-AC3, AAC-DolbyDigital, etc. I can add them to Music.app on my Mac and they play back just fine, sounds wonderful. But the files will not sync to the cloud for me to play them on my iPhone.

Q: are there any multi-channel file formats that will sync to iCloud and be playable across all Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac)?

Thanks!
Are you decoding the DTS to multi channel, or are you just changing the format of the 2ch (5.1 DTS encoded) audio?

Full decode and recode to the formats I listed (using ffmpeg) verified that the process was successful using playback software and MediaInfo. The file plays, no problem with the encoding, it just won't upload to Apple iCloud servers.

What are you thinking?

This can all be tried relatively easily by dropping a multi-channel file into Music app and seeing if it is upload to iCloud Music Libary.

Last edited:
I guess a thing to try would be re-encoding with DTS, but at 48 KHz (like for a DVD). That might get you somewhere on (newer) Apple TVs (1st gen? worked with 44.1Khz DTS if I remember). I don't know about the other platforms.

Sadly, even if it worked, it would be a lossy decode to lossy encode.

If you're OK with lossy - lossy re encoding with Dolby (@48KHz) would be something else to try.

I appreciate the idea, but I'd rather not go on a wild goose chase of encoding types. At least, not just yet! Perhaps with more compelling evidence.

Like you in your OP, I can copy the files I have into an app and play back from there.

My specific request is purely a Quality Of Life improvement, I'm looking for a multi-channel encoding type that can live in iCloud Music Library.

Can you can play local flac files (stereo or multichannel) in Apple Music?

No, FLAC is unsupported.

And just to reiterate: I'm not searching for a multi-channel playback format, I have multiple and they all play back OK.

Rather I'm searching for a multi-channel format that is allowed on the iCloud servers.

Google/bard says the supported format for surround on iCloud muisc would be Dolby Atmos. Sent PM with link to (untested) 5.1 examples.

We have some mp4 files uploading! but with status = "error" which means they are not playable from the cloud.

one step closer!

You can encode 5.1 audio to lossy AAC and it will sync through Apple Music but the bitrate is so low I can't see why anyone would want to.

You can put lossless 5.1 in the Music app in ALAC format but it will show as "ineligible" and not sync to Apple Music. But if you are willing to go through a few contortions you can listen to it on an AppleTV via Home Sharing albeit downrezzed to 24/48" if you are willing to go through some contortions.

You can encode 5.1 audio to lossy AAC and it will sync through Apple Music but the bitrate is so low I can't see why anyone would want to.
I've been unable to do this. I'd you could share a file you've successfully encoded, synced, and listened to that would be grand. Cheers!

Back