YouTube getting 5.1 support?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are others now uploading 5.1 songs on YouTube & I found this one that is uploading a lot of songs now that sound pretty good at https://www.youtube.com/@5.1MusicChannel/videos Maybe he is a member of QQ?
Rog

He's calling a lot of his uploads '5.1 mixes' when they are actually upmixes. And others he is correctly labelling as upmixes. I think he's either finding upmixes that he doesn't realize are upmixes in torrents, or he's making them himself. The rest are true 5.1 remixes , from commercial releases.

He's calling a lot of his uploads '5.1 mixes' when they are actually upmixes. And others he is correctly labelling as upmixes. I think he's either finding upmixes that he doesn't realize are upmixes in torrents, or he's making them himself. The rest are true 5.1 remixes , from commercial releases.
I think some are from video comp DVDs, like the Siouxsie and the Banshees and Peter Gabriel tracks. Those comps are sadly almost always upmixes. Two that I can think of that aren't are The Police and INXS sets.

I just uploaded my 5.1 mix using the multi-tracks of "INXS - What You Need" at if you would like to hear it.

Also I just uploaded 8 new surround mixes to my 5.1 channel if you are interested.

Rog

Last edited:
I think some are from video comp DVDs, like the Siouxsie and the Banshees and Peter Gabriel tracks. Those comps are sadly almost always upmixes. Two that I can think of that aren't are The Police and INXS sets.
Actually I asked him what he is using for his upmixes but not heard back. I think some might be Penteo mixes but none seem very discreet when I checked his mixes. Rog

I think some are from video comp DVDs, like the Siouxsie and the Banshees and Peter Gabriel tracks.

Some are. But there is no DVD or other source for a 5.1 remix of the entire Peter Gabriel 3 album that I know of. Do you? But he's got every track listed as a '5.1 mix'.

He's also got a well-known 1978 KBFH (definitely not quad) FM radio broadcast Yes concert that he's calling a '5.1 mix' that , according to *his own information* on his Youtube page, cannot possibly be. Here's his lineage info for it (with my note in italics):

YES
The Forum
Inglewood, CA.
October 5th 1978
90 Min K.B.F.H. Special
KISW FM Broadcast Aired November 26th 1978 <---100% not a quad broadcast!
Reel to Reel Master @ 3 AND 3/4 ips
From The JEMS Archive
Transferred and Presented By Krw_co

Here's what you find in a torrent for this source (boldface mine):
YES
The Forum
Inglewood, CA.
October 5th, 1978
90 Min K.B.F.H. Special
KISW FM Broadcast
Aired November 26th, 1978
Reel to Reel Master @ 3 AND 3/4 IPS
From The JEMS Archive

LINEAGE KISW FM BROADCAST JEMS REEL TO REEL MASTER @ 3 3/4 ips>AKAI GX 4000-D REEL TO REEL
W/MANUAL AZIMUTH ADJUSTMENT>CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER X-FI HD MODEL #SB1240WAV (24/96KHZ)>
MAGIX AUDIO CLEANING LAB FOR KRW TRACK MARKS EDITS AND VOLUME ADJUSTMENT>WAV 24/96>TLH FLAC 8
Nothing surround-y about that. Plus the torrent's got more info about when/how the 'Reel to Reel Master' was recorded and by whom
[....]What is less widely known about Stan is that he was equally committed to recording radio broadcasts on his home reel to reel which was a Revox B77.
If any local Seattle station was broadcasting a live concert or carrying a syndicated concert series, Stan fired up the recorder,
sometimes going to sleep with an alarm to wake him up to flip the tape (his job in the postal service required him to report to work very early).
He also set up a timer system to record broadcasts when he couldn't be there to start the deck.

Stan made over 200 radio recordings, some on 10" reels that are packed with music and interviews.
Those reels were sitting idle in the JEMS Archive for years until our friends at KRW_CO volunteered to transfer them.[...]

When I first made a case for the extreme unlikelihood of his audio being a true 5.1 remix, (and noted the incorrect date/venue data he copied from the torrent), he was most unhappy:
Yes, most of what you say (about the actual recording not the dates, venue etc) is your opinion and quite a biased and closed one at that. I told you to listen to the mix in detail, which you did not. I have no time for your arrogant attitude. Next time I will remove you. End of discussion.

I then added the trading page evidence above; so far he hasn't removed it

Some are. But there is no DVD or other source for a 5.1 remix of the entire Peter Gabriel 3 album that I know of. Do you? But he's got every track listed as a '5.1 mix'.

He's also got a well-known 1978 KBFH (definitely not quad) FM radio broadcast Yes concert that he's calling a '5.1 mix' that , according to *his own information* on his Youtube page, cannot possibly be. Here's his lineage info for it (with my note in italics):

YES
The Forum
Inglewood, CA.
October 5th 1978
90 Min K.B.F.H. Special
KISW FM Broadcast Aired November 26th 1978 <---100% not a quad broadcast!
Reel to Reel Master @ 3 AND 3/4 ips
From The JEMS Archive

Here's what you find in a torrent for this source (boldface mine):

Nothing surround-y about that. Plus the torrent's got more info about when/how the 'Reel to Reel Master' was recorded and by whom

When I first made a case for the extreme unlikelihood of his audio being a true 5.1 remix, (and noted the incorrect date/venue data he copied from the torrent), he was most unhappy:

I then added the trading page evidence above; so far he hasn't removed it
Maybe if you weren't so arrogant! :ROFLMAO:

FYI, on other forums I am asking for VLC and Foobar2000 support for 5.1 in YouTube.

If I get any positive results I will update here.

This might be windows to AVR/TV via hdmi or maybe also/instead direct to Windows 5.1 sound. We'll see.

Does Kodi do network streams? I've never messed with it. J-river (also have never used)?

Last edited:
Just listening to a 5.1 mix ??? Of Alan Parsons Project - I robot, it hasn’t been mixed in 5.1 so should be marked as an upmix, not bad though

All in stereo when I play those '5.1 YouTube videos' from Chrome while these: https://surroundmusic.one/video-streaming/ all play in surround sound as default. Does it take a special APP or download?
The surround sound files on YouTube's streaming service contain multiple audio formats, including 2-channel stereo. By contrast, the surround sound files on the 'Surround Music One' service have been encoded with just one audio format (6-ch LC-AAC by the looks of it).

The problem is down to the web browser. As far as I know, no web browser is able to select between audio formats. Meaning if there's an 2-channel audio stream available (usually Opus), the browser will take it over every other audio stream!

The surround sound files on YouTube's streaming service contain multiple audio formats, including 2-channel stereo. By contrast, the surround sound files on the 'Surround Music One' service have been encoded with just one audio format (6-ch LC-AAC by the looks of it).

The problem is down to the web browser. As far as I know, no web browser is able to select between audio formats. Meaning if there's an 2-channel audio stream available (usually Opus), the browser will take it over every other audio stream!
Yeah strange when Google runs both Chrome and Youtube. There should be a surround sound button as said here:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/11904456?hl=en&ref_topic=9257587 - Guess that was shortly:-/

I'm not getting any surround from YouTube no matter what, even if I download a video and play it with vlc or mpc I only get stereo so not sure that it's a browser thing.
Do you have a firestick? If so connect it to your avr and watch youtube through that and your surround will work, you may need to tweak the settings to make it work but it’s easy enough

Back