YouTube getting 5.1 support?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a program for download with 5.1 sound?
Yes, I mentioned this earlier ----
"First download "FireDM-GUI" at https://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Download-Managers/PyIDM.shtml & install it. If you want like I did, make a shortcut of the exe on your desktop. Then run the exe to bring up the program & set the download folder location first in the settings. Then you are ready to try it -- select one of my Surround mixes on my channel & copy the URL -- it should appear in the Top box of the program & if it does not, paste it there & it will start the download. After the download is completed, you will see all the streams associated with the song file. I usually grab the flac under Audio by double clicking on it -- then it will download a high quality 5.1 24 bit flac that is sounds virtually identical to my upload file!
I am actually amazed at how well my downloaded files sound. The waveforms look identical but the spectrum does have a 16 khz cutoff compared to the 22 khz CD quality I usually upload but my ears & most I think can not tell the difference in sound."

I will add that "DO NOT UPDATE" the program (use only version 2022.2.5)or it will not work. Also, select the m4a download option as it will save you tons of space over the 5.1 flacs & will be the same quality as YouTube is providing. VLC will play them through HDMI connection for later receivers if setup as follows per Glenn's great isntructions --
1676208603361.png

I'm not getting any surround from YouTube no matter what, even if I download a video and play it with vlc or mpc I only get stereo so not sure that it's a browser thing.
I use a roku to stream YT, and I get the surround mixes. Haven’t tried downloading the video through my PC.

I use a roku to stream YT, and I get the surround mixes. Haven’t tried downloading the video through my PC.
Yes, I have a Roku box also & it will stream my 5.1 files in true surround also but I have not found a way to do it with a computer with Windows HDMI connection for some reason (probably Windows messing with the stream I suspect). I have been told that a newer Apple TV box or FireStick will also work but I don't have either to confirm that. Rog

Isn't that the reason you posted the download process?
Yes, but since there are many here much smarter than I am about these issues, I was hoping someone here might figure out a way to stream my Surround YOU TUBE mixes using Windows 10. Rog

Last edited:
Yes, but since there are many here much smarter than I am about these issues, I was hoping someone here might figure out a way to stream my mixes using Windows 10. Rog
You should probably mention YT rather than just saying Windows. Outputting 5.1 on Windows is easy. Outputting 5.1 on YT is entirely different.

You should probably mention YT rather than just saying Windows. Outputting 5.1 on Windows is easy. Outputting 5.1 on YT is entirely different.
Yes, you are correct -- that's what I meant. Thanks for the correction I just updated, Rog

So here we are, ten months down the road from the first post in this thread.
I've found a channel with content that drew me in, and quite happy with the result.

I'm using Prime Video on a Firestick into an old Yamaha AVR that happily decodes Dolby Digital Plus from HDMI.
I simply needed to go into the configuration tool to change the audio from Best Available to DD+.

https://www.youtube.com/@5.1MusicChannel/playlists
Screen Shot 2023-02-12 at 9.40.46 AM.png

There seems to be a steady flow of content continuously updating.
The content is complete albums formatted as playlists, most satisfactory.
There are a sprinkling of upmixes of classic titles, most labeled as such.

Yesterday I sampled several mixes I'd never heard, including Meddle, Avalon, Simon & Garfunkel, etc.
This morning's new offerings include five Alan Parsons.

Screen Shot 2023-02-12 at 9.41.33 AM.png

:51QQ

So here we are, ten months down the road from the first post in this thread.
I've found a channel with content that drew me in, and quite happy with the result.

I'm using Prime Video on a Firestick into an old Yamaha AVR that happily decodes Dolby Digital Plus from HDMI.
I simply needed to go into the configuration tool to change the audio from Best Available to DD+.

https://www.youtube.com/@5.1MusicChannel/playlistsView attachment 88533

There seems to be a steady flow of content continuously updating.
The content is complete albums formatted as playlists, most satisfactory.
There are a sprinkling of upmixes of classic titles, most labeled as such.

Yesterday I sampled several mixes I'd never heard, including Meddle, Avalon, Simon & Garfunkel, etc.
This morning's new offerings include five Alan Parsons.

View attachment 88534

:51QQ
Yes I have tried a few of his mixes also some good & some not so good. I have done around 1000 songs in surround now but I am slow getting songs sent to my YouTube channel but hope to get several more added soon. Since I am 73, I mainly do surround mixes of the late 50s to early 80s with a few outside this also just to let everyone know. Rog

I just uploaded my 5.1 mix using the multi-tracks of "INXS - What You Need" at if you would like to hear it.

Also I just uploaded 8 new surround mixes to my 5.1 channel if you are interested.

Rog

Count me in as a new subscriber, very impressed with what I've sampled.
Quite an eclectic offering, but the stuff from my high school days is especially appreciated.

Never heard Walk Away sound so good with the guitars blasting from the rears. :rocks

Ride Captain Ride is a stunning upmix.
Happy to hear it in 5.1, after it was withdrawn in disgrace from Apple, outed as an arguably amateurish Atmos robo-upmix.

Yes I have tried a few of his mixes also some good & some not so good. I have done around 1000 songs in surround now but I am slow getting songs sent to my YouTube channel but hope to get several more added soon. Since I am 73, I mainly do surround mixes of the late 50s to early 80s with a few outside this also just to let everyone know. Rog
So Rog - I am 73 also, I now better understand where you wonderful aesthetic taste comes from. Your 5.1 plays great through APPLE TV - and my EMOTIVIA AMP and Pre-amp actually do an amazing job converting your stereo stuff to 5.1.

I understand if some people think this is off-topic or inappropriate, though to my mind the politics (and the economics, and the "political ecology") of streaming are inseparable from developments in the technology of streaming and the pleasure we derive from it. In any case, I'm posting this for informational, not political, purposes. Strictly speaking it pertains to YouTube Music rather than YouTube, per se, but within the Alphabet universe I think the boundaries between those two entities are a little fuzzy.
https://jacobin.com/2023/02/google-youtube-music-cognizant-workers-strike-union-busting-austin/

Last edited:
I understand if some people think this is off-topic or inappropriate, though to my mind the politics (and the economics, and the "political ecology") of streaming are inseparable from developments in the technology of streaming and the pleasure we derive from it. In any case, I'm posting this for informational, not political, purposes. Strictly speaking in pertains to YouTube Music rather than YouTube, per se, but within the Alphabet universe I think the boundaries between those two entities are a little fuzzy.
https://jacobin.com/2023/02/google-youtube-music-cognizant-workers-strike-union-busting-austin/
Check out what Tesla did today! Even worse...

I understand if some people think this is off-topic or inappropriate, though to my mind the politics (and the economics, and the "political ecology") of streaming are inseparable from developments in the technology of streaming and the pleasure we derive from it. In any case, I'm posting this for informational, not political, purposes. Strictly speaking it pertains to YouTube Music rather than YouTube, per se, but within the Alphabet universe I think the boundaries between those two entities are a little fuzzy.
YouTube’s chief business officer left at the beginning of 2023 to take over as chief executive at Warner Music Group. “Curiouser and curiouser said Alice.” 🤔

And now, YouTube’s longtime CEO has announced that she is stepping down after 25 years. At one point in its history Google(parent company of YouTube) was run out of her garage.

Back