YouTube getting 5.1 support?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some PC users might be able to obtain multi-channel audio from Youtube if their PC's are directly connected to an AVR via HDMI. It's all about the connected devices performing the correct 'handshakes' in order to determine their specifications!
No luck for me with either Firefox or Chrome. I use the 5.1 analog out of my soundcard for surround playback on my computer.

No luck for me with either Firefox or Chrome. I use the 5.1 analog out of my soundcard for surround playback on my computer.
Technically, the (software) web browser, the computers AV card/chip-set and the external AVR, all need to communicate with each other in order to determine their individual capabilities.

Todays Youtube platform offers support a multitude of audio format types and video format types (along with their different resolutions). Each of which requires some form of communication.

With regard to audio, it's a shame Youtube doesn't offer an 'audio format' selection icon. But then again, it's a shame they don't offer support for HEVC encoded video ;)

Which is EXACTLY what I am doing and have played plenty of mch/dts/ac3/ movies ,music,games etc generally without issue
Do you have your PC (Windows) control panel/Sound/playback/Speaker Setup set to 5.1 ?

EDIT: Oh, I thought you were saying you play Youtube videos in 5.1. There is certainly no trick to playing surround movies, music, games from files or discs, in 5.1 , from a PC.

Last edited:
actually sometimes yes,netflix, and a few other video streaming sites
It's not that easy... These media streaming services offer their own dedicated web sites along with associated functionality.

As others have mentioned, it's not (necessarily) the web browser that's the issue, it's YouTube forcing their audio and video format preferences on you!

I never trust in that kind of titles that are type for someone. I can upload one and say that the video is with atmos.
An unnoficial channel upload a 5.1 trailer and the official, not. It's very rare.
YouTube is only in stereo.

Hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong place, or resurrecting a thread that shouldn't be, but I'm curious about how to upload 5.1 music (my own) to youtube. I only recently came across videos that have 5.1 that actually worked through my TV's audio output (much to my surprise) but I haven't been able to find any information on how to upload in surround to youtube. Thanks in advance for any info that anyone has.

Hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong place, or resurrecting a thread that shouldn't be, but I'm curious about how to upload 5.1 music (my own) to youtube. I only recently came across videos that have 5.1 that actually worked through my TV's audio output (much to my surprise) but I haven't been able to find any information on how to upload in surround to youtube. Thanks in advance for any info that anyone has.
Just upload a 5.1 mov or mp4 file. See my post earlier
https://www.peachymango.org/surround

I think it's been mentioned somewhere that only professional accounts can upload 5.1 content (or 5.1 content above a certain length?). I can't fin the reference though.

I think it's been mentioned somewhere that only professional accounts can upload 5.1 content (or 5.1 content above a certain length?). I can't fin the reference though.
I recall something like that as well, from awhile back but I went ahead and uploaded a demo and much to my surprise, it actually worked. There's also an account that has a bunch of quad and 5.1 uploads that I've been listening to - and has robably helped sell me on some albums that I'd have never listened to, much less actually buy. Harry Styles being one of them.

Back